RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Now it's Greg who's gone: When will the bleeding stop?

52 minutes ago, Barry Lichter said:
Racing’s top presenter Greg O’Connor decides the new studio job is not for him - another victim of the TAB’s drastic cost cutting.

Has years of experience in marketing and promotion , well there's an organisation that could do with that experience and his priceless knowledge of racing in general . Wonder if that organisation knows he's available , and if so , whether they think that he's just the type of person they require to help in their quest to turn things around .

Punting drives racing.  Get that right and things will get better.  Kick Dean McKenzie into touch, completely incompetent.  Going to miss watching Greg & co cover some of the most important events and he is so right about missing out on the atmosphere.  Can't believe it.  

2 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

I just don't get it ?

So no Mick G , Greg O or Whale for Cup Carnivals Chch and Akld (if we get that far)

Chch , Marc Cookson Justin Evans ?? nothing against those blokes but , is that what they are thinking ?

Or Popplewell and Sweeney ? 

Have they thought about this ....

Don't get it  , that's easy , it's 100 percent desperation , the industry is almost completely broke .

What are the chances of $5000 maiden races  at the start of the new season , pretty good I  would think .

Another sad loss. Good on him for realising now and choosing a path that offers more fulfillment. Not the first to choose literally shoveling horse $hit(in the short term anyway) rather than be part of the continued decline. 

Love the below:

"But he will miss the good times he’s shared with some of his friends - like covering Todd Mitchell’s fourth New Zealand Trotting Cup win, or Tony Shaw’s Cup win with Yulestar, or their Interdominion triumph.

“Those are the moments that bring people to the races, rather than just those who want to back horses race to race."

It may not be the case for everyone, but these experiences on course are a huge part of what I love about racing. From Karaka Millions with BGP, to Legends Day at Te Rapa, to sitting with a proud Mum watching her son's first winning drive-nothing beats being on course for me. Sorely missed atm. Can certainly appreciate being confined to an office would not compare. 

1 minute ago, Red Rum said:

Wonder what the turnover has been on the harness here v the OZ gallops now .

At least O'Connor has made his own decision not to carry on with his work , plenty have not got option of turning down work , good luck to the guy for the future .

Yes, certainly fortunate to have a choice. You would hope someone is monitoring that wouldn't you. I would say there would be a fairly immediate noticeable impact though. 

It is all very sad. All we seem to read about is actual racing people leaving. Other than Allen, who got out on his own terms before he was dumped, I can't recall any of the non racing types who caused all this carnage getting the boot.

By their actions so far, and the results of their actions, it is hard to have much faith that rita is going to lead us anywhere. Any initial goodwill that they may have attracted has surely dissipated by now.

THIS SHIT HAS GOT TO STOP !!!!! :rcf-angry-4:
We need Trackside Presenters back on-course at the coalface of our shop window!

Interviews..with Trainers, Jockeys, Winning Owners...etc.etc !!!!!
This has to happen sooner not later!
SACK ONE OF THE USELESS SUITS THAT GOT US INTO THIS SAD MESS! :rcf-angry-2:

WAKE UP!..... R.I.T.A  !!!!!! :rcf-sleeping-1:

You are continuing to kill the Racing Industry with these unbelievable bad decisions! :rcf-monkey:

I was watching the Sandown races today. The pre-race summing up of each race, some videos, the parade of the horses, comments etc. The race then the post race interview with the Trainer or Stable Rep, the Jockey etc. All good stuff. It’s called “Promotion and Marketing” the Product. It sounds like the story of the Hotdog Salesman and his educated son is alive and well in NZ. Madness.

57 minutes ago, Stables said:

Inclined to agree with you Greg. When one star retires another one rises to take its place

Goc has looked after himself for many years and will continue to do so. Im sure Justy would agree :rcfe-angry:

14 hours ago, Tropical said:

Punting drives racing.  Get that right and things will get better.  Kick Dean McKenzie into touch, completely incompetent.  Going to miss watching Greg & co cover some of the most important events and he is so right about missing out on the atmosphere.  Can't believe it.  

Did you ever think that without massive cost cuts  racing would not have survived at all.

After all the previous NZRB business plan,management  and board's took them to insolvency.

Sorry to introduce some logic to this discussion 

Greg