RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dopey

Australia ABC CHANNEL 7/30 The Final Race

There is a very powerful story about the destruction of thoroughbred racehorses in Australia after that are ‘unwanted’. It will be front page news tomorrow over here. It talks about the ‘industrial scale of distruction of ex racehorses... this is not painting the industry in a great light nor those of us who do not treat animals this way.

someone might be able to attach a link but I’m watching it on replay on app ‘ABC iVIEW’ if that helps. This will be big news. 

Trumpie....that is not a good watch. Forget the sensationalism...the cruelty factor of the workers at the slaughter house was unacceptable.

This is something that NZ Racing needs to really get right. One of the problems though is that humans in NZ are getting further and further away from horses due to lack of opportunity, health and safety, lack of funding for the alternative horse usages, and laziness. It's not going to get any better either.

26 minutes ago, Berri said:

Trumpie....that is not a good watch. Forget the sensationalism...the cruelty factor of the workers at the slaughter house was unacceptable.

This is something that NZ Racing needs to really get right. One of the problems though is that humans in NZ are getting further and further away from horses due to lack of opportunity, health and safety, lack of funding for the alternative horse usages, and laziness. It's not going to get any better either.

I recall a post you made quite while ago about the need to accept that horses [ and other stock ] will, at times, need to be destroyed.

Do it properly,  you said,  humanely and with dignity. [ much abbreviated from the original ]

More relevant now than ever.

I think The rules of racing in NSW prohibit the sale of ex racehorses at unregistered/ unregulated sales, and while not illegal also the destruction of horses in this way at a slaughter house. 

The article quoted around 4000 a year being slaughtered- the NSW industry regulator - who appears to be not monitoring effectively - is quoting .4 of 1% from memory noting 14000 foal a year are bred in Australia. 

Of course this reflects the effectiveness of the implementation of the Messara initiatives in NSW. Wonder how they will go here? I'm surprised that no-one has asked and RITA (as far as I know) has not reported on progress on this. Is it just a token? Perhaps they should actually sell some of these clubs resources to fund that recommendation. It obviously needs to be a bit more than the trivial 1% of prize money that NSW devoted to it or it needs to be used more efficiently.

16. Introduce robust processes to establish traceability from birth and the re-homing of the entire thoroughbred herd, as the foundation stone of the industry’s ongoing animal welfare program.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I think The rules of racing in NSW prohibit the sale of ex racehorses at unregistered/ unregulated sales, and while not illegal also the destruction of horses in this way at a slaughter house. 

The article quoted around 4000 a year being slaughtered- the NSW industry regulator - who appears to be not monitoring effectively - is quoting .4 of 1% from memory noting 14000 foal a year are bred in Australia. 

The further onsale after leaving yards  is the problem , after year or two they end up places like Echuca Sale yards with the doggers filing orders  ,  Deposer a Royal Ascot placed horse , ex HK ended up there  and so did a horse called Sahara Sun Chiliean Derby runner up. Both in poor condition  after going through number of hands , the racing owners may have thought been re homed to good place but how do you track them over many years .They were saved I understand from reports many others are not . 

How many old broodmares , foals deemed not racing quality etc end up in slaughterhouses or knackeries , it's not just out of racing yards .

Korea have  sent thousands of ex NZ  OZ and other  racehorses to dinner plate over years , it's marked in their register as such . The old chestnut of Singapore retirement plans , Macau etc . If people sell there they know the likely outcome unless they have a return clause and enact it , if they don't know they are willfully blind to protect their own feelings not the horse or accept it as part of the business . 

US banned horse slaughter for human consumption,  Texas closed one big plant that exports to Europe , now the poor horses are trucked across border miles to Mexico and Canada over many days travel from feedlots  and meet same fate in unsuitable cattle lorries .

It's a tough one , agree with earlier posts , it must be humane and dignified , the reality is there are not enough homes for all of them from all the outlets racing  yards ,  stud farms surplas etc.

The person in charge of hounds generally   disposes of the old or injured  horses a lot ex jumps horses from the hunt to feed the hounds , the difference is its quick , no travel and in their home area.

31 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

It's a tough one , agree with earlier posts , it must be humane and dignified , the reality is there are not enough homes for all of them from all the outlets racing  yards ,  stud farms surplas etc.

Red Rum, this is the key sentence in your response, - all animals destined for slaughter should be treated with respect and killed quickly and painlessly.

I've read a bit over years about this and iam sure the captive bolt is classed as unsuitable for use on horses in some places by some organisations , I stand to be corrected though as never worked in abatoir .I  have gambled , had interest etc on the horses for many many years but this and injuries nag away at my consious at times , however I try focus on the many that get long and active well cared for lives  by good people .

28 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

They had to respond...or as Lee Freedman said " The court of public opinion will bury Australian Racing...."

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/racing-industry-responds-in-wake-of-explosive-abc-7-30-report-20191018

They love to dig a hole deeper these spokespeople  , a normal career 12 years old . Do they look at a racebook . How many 12 years old horses still rattling round . If there more than 2 country wide racing in OZ tomorrow I'd be amazed .Maybe they mean breeding as well, if so where's all the geldings at 12.

Surprised the greyhound crowd feeding out this meat, must be bit risky re positive swab.

I know horse jerky imported from Europe was the rage for gym bunny pretty boys few years back in UK .Full of protein no fat .

As I said, typical ABC Leftie reporting. Take one Killing house and use it how they want. That’s why Auntie is becoming more irrelevant by the day. Here’s Peter V’Landy’s response.        

View this email in your browser
c9186f09-c253-4c8a-81a5-ca6d2c3073bf.jpg
MEDIA RELEASE

Friday, 18 October 2019

Racing NSW Response to ABC 7.30 Report

Following the program that aired on the ABC’s 7.30 Report last night, Racing NSW Chief Executive, Peter V’landys AM, unequivocally condemned the alleged abhorrent actions of the Meramist Queensland Abattoir. The vision was sickening, and horrendous and Racing NSW calls upon the Queensland Government and its Department of Primary Industries to take the strongest possible action against the alleged perpetrators of such cruelty. Such conduct and any mistreatment of horses is not tolerated in the NSW Thoroughbred Racing Industry.

In responding to the 7.30 Report, Mr V’landys AM said “I will let the facts below speak for themselves:

• Racing NSW is the only State in Australia that has a Rule of Racing that prohibits horses from being sent to a knackery or abattoir if they have been predominantly domiciled in the NSW Thoroughbred Racing Industry. Further, in NSW it is illegal for an abattoir to process a horse for human consumption, unlike other States.

• That Rule is targeted at eradicating treatment such as that of the Meramist Queensland Abattoir detailed in the 7.30 Report. The effectiveness of that Rule is highlighted by the fact that the 7.30 Report did not identify any horses from NSW that had been sent to that facility, which is where this appalling mistreatment took place.

• As to the 14 horses identified by the ABC, Racing NSW responded to the ABC in respect to those horses and advised that at least 12 of those horses had either predominately raced or been domiciled in other States (where Racing NSW does not have jurisdiction) or had been officially retired to be re-homed as a pleasure horse. Accordingly, these horses were outside of Racing NSW’s jurisdiction and this illustrates why Racing NSW is supportive of a National Horse Traceability Register.

• There have been in excess of 10,000 horses retired in NSW over the past three years and even based on the ABC’s unsubstantiated claim that 14 horses were found at a NSW knackery this shows that the Rule has been effective. No Rule is foolproof and in the racing industry, as in any other element of the community, there is unfortunately 1% of participants who will break the rules despite 99% doing the completely right thing.

• To show Racing NSW’s determination to enforce the Rule, it has over a period of time purchased 10 NSW domiciled horses from  a Victorian sale located at Echuca which were at risk of being purchased by a knackery and also made bids on many other horses to make it unviable for the knackery to purchase them.

• Racing NSW has also seized over 120 retired thoroughbred horses on welfare grounds and, over a long period of time, brought these horses back to health and then proceeded to re-home them. Racing NSW has also seized retired thoroughbred horses that were to be exported to Asia to race due to concerns about their ongoing welfare.

• Racing NSW has purchased property throughout NSW including 2,500 acres at Capertee to have sufficient areas to enable its rehoming program.

• Racing NSW has a specific equine welfare fund which requires 1% of all prizemoney to be assigned to horse welfare, which was over $2.5 million last year. Racing NSW was the first jurisdiction in Australia to introduce this initiative, doing so in 2016.

• Unfortunately, there will always be people that break the Rules. Racing NSW immediately commenced investigations into the allegations made by the ABC and will prosecute any person that Racing NSW has jurisdiction over that has breached the Rules of Racing and sent a horse to a knackery.

• Racing NSW has not been provided with specific evidence from the ABC in respect to the identity of horses alleged to have been sent to knackeries and will be seeking those details to continue its investigations.

• Despite repeated requests from Racing NSW, the ABC has not returned Racing NSW calls so that Racing NSW could correct some of the incorrect facts that were subsequently aired and to provide any evidence so that Racing NSW can successfully investigate and prosecute breaches of the Rules of Racing. This information included evidence that one horse the ABC claimed was destroyed in a knackery was alive and well and that the ABC was aware of such.

• Racing NSW calls upon any person who has evidence in respect to the mistreatment of a thoroughbred to immediately make contact with the Racing NSW Integrity department for investigation.

For more information please contact Mr Peter V’landys AM, Racing NSW Chief Executive, by phone on (02) 9551 7555.
Twitter
Facebook
Website

Copyright © 2019 Racing NSW, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are/were an industry participant. 

Our mailing address is: 

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

open.php?u=6082bd19705cf6463f2b26b82&id=ba91cc665b&e=c20130d311  

25 minutes ago, barryb said:

Christ Bazza :rcfe-angry:Looking at Lauras case you can see how this can happen, id say a good start in this would be to jail the prick with the prodder and the foul mouth after zapping his meat and vege  :rcf-angry-4: 

3 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Christ Bazza :rcfe-angry:Looking at Lauras case you can see how this can happen, id say a good start in this would be to jail the prick with the prodder and the foul mouth after zapping his meat and vege  :rcf-angry-4: 

Yep for sure, reminds me of that bobby calf place in Te Kauwhata that got done for animal abuse, no different here, the workers guilty of the behaviour should end up before the courts as should the owner for ignoring the goings on, ignorance is the same as condoning.

Did You Know................

The only horse to return from the First World War

In the First World War 136,000 “walers” (the general name applied to Australian horses abroad) were sent overseas for use by the Australian Imperial Force and the British and Indian governments. One horse from the 136,000 made it back to Australia.Jan 15, 2018

I think industry participants , punters , racefans need to decide individually where morally they sit on this . Are you accepting of horse slaughter for food if it's done in a highly professional manner with strict guidelines, we'll regulated  , are you against eating horses full stop , are you accepting it  as only a  last resort . 

Things to ponder , sell horses overseas they could eat them. KRA promotes horse meat , publishes quarterly stud book lists of those gone to Jeju Island food processing facility and by reading Korean news reports wants to expand consumption . Do you still want to bet on next at Seoul tonight ? If NZ industry is against horse slaughter should we be betting on this racing. 

I've read ownership info from Japan, they warn this happens but I haven't read anywhere that they promote it like Korea but take a realistic approach as not masses of space for retired horses .Ferdinand never left Japan , in fact Exceller ended up in a tale of bankruptcy and a pet food factory in Sweden , tragic really .

If you think all racehorses should all have a long retirement then surely any horse you own it would be slightly self serving if it's gets sold to certain countries , if you think it's part and parcel of the business and not all can be done all the time maybe do the hard yards face hard facts and actually make sure as best you can when time comes it's done right , if you not happy don't sell .Or maybe some not too bothered if the money in account , it takes all sorts I suppose .Some in these times of troubled  finance may have no choice to be fair to keep families  head above water ,or maybe case of sell one to have money to save 10 others in paddock .

Maybe on this new TAB they could have a horse welfare donation option  , decent win,  good mood pay bit forward to the horses , the buggers who do the most  hard yards in all this. 

14 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I think industry participants , punters , racefans need to decide individually where morally they sit on this . Are you accepting of horse slaughter for food if it's done in a highly professional manner with strict guidelines, we'll regulated  , are you against eating horses full stop , are you accepting it  as only a  last resort . 

Things to ponder , sell horses overseas they could eat them. KRA promotes horse meat , publishes quarterly stud book lists of those gone to Jeju Island food processing facility and by reading Korean news reports wants to expand consumption . Do you still want to bet on next at Seoul tonight ? If NZ industry is against horse slaughter should we be betting on this racing. 

I've read ownership info from Japan, they warn this happens but I haven't read anywhere that they promote it like Korea but take a realistic approach as not masses of space for retired horses .Ferdinand never left Japan , in fact Exceller ended up in a tale of bankruptcy and a pet food factory in Sweden , tragic really .

If you think all racehorses should all have a long retirement then surely any horse you own it would be slightly self serving if it's gets sold to certain countries , if you think it's part and parcel of the business and not all can be done all the time maybe do the hard yards face hard facts and actually make sure as best you can when time comes it's done right , if you not happy don't sell .Or maybe some not too bothered if the money in account , it takes all sorts I suppose .Some in these times of troubled  finance may have no choice to be fair to keep families  head above water ,or maybe case of sell one to have money to save 10 others in paddock .

Maybe on this new TAB they could have a horse welfare donation option  , decent win,  good mood pay bit forward to the horses , the buggers who do the most  hard yards in all this. 

I like your post RR. As Barry B pointed out, the issue is about animal cruelty and all forms of life that humans slaughter should not suffer pain and should be killed as instantly as is possible. Most abattoirs and freezing works would or should, be complying with strict animal welfare legislation and practices. So for me, this whole issue isn’t about whether we eat horse, goat, deer or whatever, but about caring for animals when they are alive and if slaughter is the end game, as it is with millions of animals everywhere, then show the animal respect and care when this done.

I think Racing Australia are going to audit any horse shown as active that hasn't raced for 18 months to clean up records . It will be interesting to see how many change status , there are a few old favorites I keep eye on to see if they have trialled or run so could be quite enlightening. 

The industry leaders in Oz  might secretly be hoping Surprise Baby don't win Cup, trainer appears to have had a change in attitude which is to be totally  commended  but  way things are last few weeks the anti racing movement if they had any sense will play that for all they are worth .The industry could of course hit back hard with he has learned the hard way , has been scrutinised heavily and has shown what can be achieved when you get with the programme.