RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

Dear stakeholder, 

The Minister of Racing, Rt Hon Winston Peters, is pleased to confirm that tonight’s public meeting to release John Messara’s Report on the New Zealand Racing Industry at Claudelands Conference Centre in Hamilton will also be live streamed here: https://www.facebook.com/dia.govt.nz/  

The live stream will be available from 5.55pm until the end of the event. A recording of the event will be available on the Department of Internal Affairs website as soon as possible.

Regards, 

Office of New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing, 

This is on KIwiBlog:

Will Peters sell the TAB to the Aussies?

Newsroom reports:

Giant Australian gambling companies are poised to take over the TAB’s role in New Zealand if a report into the racing industry is adopted by the Government.

The report, commissioned by Racing Minister Winston Peters, and kept secret from racing industry leaders, is due to be released tonight at a public meeting in Hamilton.

Sources familiar with the contents of the report says it recommends that race betting in New Zealand be outsourced to an Australian company, effectively meaning the end of the TAB.

I’m not a fan of the TAB monopoly. But rather than hand the monopoly over to an Australian company, why not abolish the monopoly?

Allow any registered company to do sports betting, under a common framework where a percentage of takings is paid to the sport in question (except I guess politics :-))

Sources have told Newsroom that the big gambling companies in Australia have proposed giving the industry an up-front cash payment and more money, said to be $100 million over 25 years, if they get the licence to control betting on NZ races. 

Will be interesting if the opponent of all things foreign turns out to support selling the racing monopoly to the Aussies.

•  

The Globalists win again.,

NZ Racing's been run into the ground so that it could be taken over by foul means or fair..halving the tracks and the loss of control over our T.V. product will decimate our participation by thousands...it'll be the end of racing as we know it with a micro semblance of our industry with only the breeding side of the industry being left mostly alone to continue to thrive..feeding Aussie Hong Kong Singapore China and a micronesia of local NZ participants.

3 hours ago, Disillusioned said:

This is on KIwiBlog:

Will Peters sell the TAB to the Aussies?

Newsroom reports:

Giant Australian gambling companies are poised to take over the TAB’s role in New Zealand if a report into the racing industry is adopted by the Government.

The report, commissioned by Racing Minister Winston Peters, and kept secret from racing industry leaders, is due to be released tonight at a public meeting in Hamilton.

Sources familiar with the contents of the report says it recommends that race betting in New Zealand be outsourced to an Australian company, effectively meaning the end of the TAB.

I’m not a fan of the TAB monopoly. But rather than hand the monopoly over to an Australian company, why not abolish the monopoly?

Allow any registered company to do sports betting, under a common framework where a percentage of takings is paid to the sport in question (except I guess politics :-))

Sources have told Newsroom that the big gambling companies in Australia have proposed giving the industry an up-front cash payment and more money, said to be $100 million over 25 years, if they get the licence to control betting on NZ races. 

Will be interesting if the opponent of all things foreign turns out to support selling the racing monopoly to the Aussies.

•  

Quite correct. The betting license would be leased to the Aussies meaning the end of the TAB.

Downsizing NZ tracks from 48 to 28.

Three new all weather tracks at Cambridge, Awapuni and Riccarton.

Lots of questions there...you can hear the screaming already.....:rolleyes:

Rated Number 2 news item on One tonight, beaten only by story on another Minister out of her depth and likely out of Parliament. Item fronted by Katie Bradford and seemed balanced without envy of "rich pricks" getting a break.

4 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Rated Number 2 news item on One tonight, beaten only by story on another Minister out of her depth and likely out of Parliament. Item fronted by Katie Bradford and seemed balanced without envy of "rich pricks" getting a break.

Was high up on TV3 News too Chevy.....there will be some gnashing of teeth tonight !!

Recommendations

1. Change the governance structure, so the NZRB becomes Wagering NZ with racing responsibilities devolving to the individual Codes. This will sharpen the commercial focus of TAB operations and improve the decision-making and accountability of the Codes.

2. Establish Racing NZ as a consultative forum for the three Codes to agree on issues such as entering into commercial agreements with Wagering NZ, approving betting rules and budgets for the integrity bodies, equine health & research, etc.

3. Change the composition and qualifications for directors of regulatory bodies.

4. Request that a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB.

5. Amend the Section 16 distribution formula of the Racing Act 2003 to a more equitable basis for fixed 10-year terms.

6. Initiate a special review of the structure and efficacy of the RIU and allied integrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person.

7. Begin negotiations for the outsourcing of the TAB’s commercial activities to an international wagering operator, to gain the significant advantages of scale.

8. Seek approval for a suite of new wagering products to increase funding for the industry.

9. Confirm the assignment of Intellectual Property (IP) by the Clubs to the Codes.

10. Introduce Race Field and Point Of Consumption Tax legislation expeditiously. These two measures will bring New Zealand’s racing industry into line with its Australian counterparts and provide much needed additional revenue.

11. Repeal the existing betting levy of approximately $13 million per annum paid by the NZRB, given that the thoroughbred Code is a loss maker overall, with the net owners’ losses outweighing the NZRB’s net profit.

12. Clarify legislation to vest Race Club property and assets to the Code regulatory bodies for the benefit of the industry as a whole.

13. Reduce the number of thoroughbred race tracks from 48 to 28 tracks under a scheduled program. This does not require the closure of any Club

1. Upgrade the facilities and tracks of the remaining racecourses with funds generated from the sale of surplus property resulting from track closures to provide a streamlined, modern and competitive thoroughbred racing sector capable of marketing itself globally.

2. Construct three synthetic all-weather tracks at Cambridge, Awapuni & Riccarton with assistance from the New Zealand Government’s Provincial Growth Fund. Support the development of the Waikato Greenfields Project.

3. Introduce robust processes to establish traceability from birth and the re-homing of the entire thoroughbred herd, as the foundation stone of the industry’s ongoing animal welfare program.

4. Increase thoroughbred prizemoney gradually to over $100 million per annum through a simplified three-tier racing model, with payments extended to tenth place in all races.

First here on Racecafe

Recommendations

1. Change the governance structure, so the NZRB becomes Wagering NZ with racing responsibilities devolving to the individual Codes. This will sharpen the commercial focus of TAB operations and improve the decision-making and accountability of the Codes.

2. Establish Racing NZ as a consultative forum for the three Codes to agree on issues such as entering into commercial agreements with Wagering NZ, approving betting rules and budgets for the integrity bodies, equine health & research, etc.

3. Change the composition and qualifications for directors of regulatory bodies.

4. Request that a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB.

5. Amend the Section 16 distribution formula of the Racing Act 2003 to a more equitable basis for fixed 10-year terms.

6. Initiate a special review of the structure and efficacy of the RIU and allied integrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person.

7. Begin negotiations for the outsourcing of the TAB’s commercial activities to an international wagering operator, to gain the significant advantages of scale.

8. Seek approval for a suite of new wagering products to increase funding for the industry.

9. Confirm the assignment of Intellectual Property (IP) by the Clubs to the Codes.

10. Introduce Race Field and Point Of Consumption Tax legislation expeditiously. These two measures will bring New Zealand’s racing industry into line with its Australian counterparts and provide much needed additional revenue.

11. Repeal the existing betting levy of approximately $13 million per annum paid by the NZRB, given that the thoroughbred Code is a loss maker overall, with the net owners’ losses outweighing the NZRB’s net profit.

12. Clarify legislation to vest Race Club property and assets to the Code regulatory bodies for the benefit of the industry as a whole.

13. Reduce the number of thoroughbred race tracks from 48 to 28 tracks under a scheduled program. This does not require the closure of any Club

1. Upgrade the facilities and tracks of the remaining racecourses with funds generated from the sale of surplus property resulting from track closures to provide a streamlined, modern and competitive thoroughbred racing sector capable of marketing itself globally.

2. Construct three synthetic all-weather tracks at Cambridge, Awapuni & Riccarton with assistance from the New Zealand Government’s Provincial Growth Fund. Support the development of the Waikato Greenfields Project.

3. Introduce robust processes to establish traceability from birth and the re-homing of the entire thoroughbred herd, as the foundation stone of the industry’s ongoing animal welfare program.

4. Increase thoroughbred prizemoney gradually to over $100 million per annum through a simplified three-tier racing model, with payments extended to tenth place in all races.

3 hours ago, hedley said:

NZ Racing's been run into the ground so that it could be taken over by foul means or fair..halving the tracks and the loss of control over our T.V. product will decimate our participation by thousands...it'll be the end of racing as we know it with a micro semblance of our industry with only the breeding side of the industry being left mostly alone to continue to thrive..feeding Aussie Hong Kong Singapore China and a micronesia of local NZ participants.

I find myself understanding every word and agreeing totally with Hedley

2 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Agree. Still digesting the report but all seems a complete waste of time and money to me. Might as well turn the lights off now.

I thought it all looks pretty good and what I had thought would be in it. 

Apart from the tracks part but if that is what it takes to keep the industry going then so be it. I would love to see on course bookies back and let these tracks that are on the cut list to have stand alone on course meeting, similar to a Bush circuit in Aus. 

I do wonder about this theory that there is so much money to be earned from selling off numerous tracks and using the money elsewhere. Just how much would Kumara, Hokitika, Orari, Waimate, Kurow, Waikouaiti, Omakau, Winton etc be worth? I would hardly think they would generate millions to be poured into Omoto and Wingatui to turn them into the SI equivalent of Happy Valley and Shatin.

Most of the recommendations seem to make sense to me. i.e. I grew up in and love the Naki but it doesn't make sense to have tracks in NP, Stratford, Hawera and Waverley. Have 2 properly maintained tracks.

Maybe we should get behind Winston - he is the only racing minister in my life time that has actually tried to do something positive. 

32 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

U

4 hours ago, hedley said:

Yep and who was asking Mr Peters questions  in the open forum Waikato  stud and Windsor Park . No coincidence.