Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, tim vince said:

I have no life counted  patrons watching Avondale cup in public stand.82..im thinking  maybe that ain't very good.

What sort of figure in total there today do you reckon , members , connections , workers . Total living humans on course , 1500 ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they were quite good fields considering. Good even field for the Cup. Who is Joe MacDonald? I have never seen so many feature races sponsored by individuals as we have at present: the Berkett Telegraph. MacDonald Avondale Cup, Herbie Dyke, even the Ellis race last week. I can't recall any major group races sponsored by individuals in Aussie, I'm sure there must be some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I thought they were quite good fields considering. Good even field for the Cup. Who is Joe MacDonald? I have never seen so many feature races sponsored by individuals as we have at present: the Berkett Telegraph. MacDonald Avondale Cup, Herbie Dyke, even the Ellis race last week. I can't recall any major group races sponsored by individuals in Aussie, I'm sure there must be some.

I think the racing this summer at Ellerslie has been very  good . Last few weeks in NZ there's been some really good horses/ races .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tim vince said:

I have no life counted  patrons watching Avondale cup in public stand.82..im thinking  maybe that ain't very good.

I went in the Ascot Hospital gate entrance and there were 5 staff there.....one directing the 50 odd cars  where to park , one holding the gate for official vehicles , two on entrance ,one of theses to check bags and 1 supervisor nearby.There was no gate charge !

Would the 82 pay the wages  ?...and this not the main gate.

The Phoenix game starting at 7 had 15,400 at Eden Park....pretty good , I guess cos these games are rare In Auckland

Friday's Rugby..the biggie...Blues v Crusaders was terrible compared with even 4 years ago.

The Trots last night I suspect was again poor.

The two South Island meetings today looked bare.

Cigarette factory in Lower Hutt closing ,120 jobs lost.

Lotto is jackpotting....record spend expected !

2 glasses of beer and a coke zero cost $31 in a CBD Bar !

Things have just changed...funny that !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey tim ,i was one of those 82 ...so sad..we could have all gone over to avondale ...how about they put a giant billboard in the carpark facing that motorway that carries a million cars a day..let the people know that this is a race course ,and please come on saturday to check it out...thats the first thing wilcox/baker should have done ,and those before them george/castles..how about some ads on mainstream radio.....i know there is a car fair every sunday because of the signs and flags....but absolutely zero signage to try and attract people to the races..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, voice of reason said:

hey tim ,i was one of those 82 ...so sad..we could have all gone over to avondale ...how about they put a giant billboard in the carpark facing that motorway that carries a million cars a day..let the people know that this is a race course ,and please come on saturday to check it out...thats the first thing wilcox/baker should have done ,and those before them george/castles..how about some ads on mainstream radio.....i know there is a car fair every sunday because of the signs and flags....but absolutely zero signage to try and attract people to the races..

Did you feel lonely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, voice of reason said:

hey tim ,i was one of those 82 ...so sad..we could have all gone over to avondale ...how about they put a giant billboard in the carpark facing that motorway that carries a million cars a day..let the people know that this is a race course ,and please come on saturday to check it out...thats the first thing wilcox/baker should have done ,and those before them george/castles..how about some ads on mainstream radio.....i know there is a car fair every sunday because of the signs and flags....but absolutely zero signage to try and attract people to the races..

Absolutely agree, I remember the days when I played football in Lower Hutt for our local club Naenae. There committee used to work and fight hard for the club, they got everyone they could involved, they would promote home games big time, the games and club rooms were stuffed with supporters enjoying the game and the aftermath. It doesn't happen by itself, committees or whatever have to do something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Everton said:

Absolutely agree, I remember the days when I played football in Lower Hutt for our local club Naenae. There committee used to work and fight hard for the club, they got everyone they could involved, they would promote home games big time, the games and club rooms were stuffed with supporters enjoying the game and the aftermath. It doesn't happen by itself, committees or whatever have to do something. 

Those committees in racing  have long been screwed over or are currently about the be screwed over, there is little point in them showing such enthusiasm when they will absolutely zero support for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Everton said:

Absolutely agree, I remember the days when I played football in Lower Hutt for our local club Naenae. There committee used to work and fight hard for the club, they got everyone they could involved, they would promote home games big time, the games and club rooms were stuffed with supporters enjoying the game and the aftermath. It doesn't happen by itself, committees or whatever have to do something. 

Football/soccer  is bursting at seams at youth level, committees at the clubs working like mad . It's got some real life in it and great kids coming through . I've seen couple  under 13 sides from here put it to Sydney FC kids so it's well alive at grassroots here .Those at the top need to not balls it up like racing have , Caning national youth league huge mistake .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Everton said:

Absolutely agree, I remember the days when I played football in Lower Hutt for our local club Naenae. There committee used to work and fight hard for the club, they got everyone they could involved, they would promote home games big time, the games and club rooms were stuffed with supporters enjoying the game and the aftermath. It doesn't happen by itself, committees or whatever have to do something. 

Arrghhhh the good old days when little else to do other than local sports clubs and the TAB....I remember when a local TAB burned down once ,thousands were left homeless.

Even NZ 's main religion Rugby can't get people along now like previous....the odd exception ...while Churches now doing well.

Life in NZ has changed...Rugby ,Racing and Beer days are long gone.

Soon there will be no-one at races except for Cup and Iconic days.

Horse numbers and Betting are the key to it even surviving.

Sports Betting gets more popular. And Sport wants more of the TAB take !

But spending a day at races , regularly ,is not cool.

Its much better viewing at home anyway.

We need to accept that , and work with that fact !

Racing mainly makes the news now when there is a scandal ,and the current news re Donations to Politician parties is being highlighted with scorn and disgust.

Do you think Inca has helped !

Darren Weir case will be next and any possible links with new "EPO" testing could be telling even for Australians.

Even I'm thinking of cutting back my diet of 60 meetings a year !Nobody to talk to!

Despite this ,Ellerslie is an outstanding facility , the Board are volunteers so all power to them.

Thans to Ellerslie Board.....you have great assets and equity ,please no $10k stakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Arrghhhh the good old days when little else to do other than local sports clubs and the TAB....I remember when a local TAB burned down once ,thousands were left homeless.

Even NZ 's main religion Rugby can't get people along now like previous....the odd exception ...while Churches now doing well.

Life in NZ has changed...Rugby ,Racing and Beer days are long gone.

Soon there will be no-one at races except for Cup and Iconic days.

Horse numbers and Betting are the key to it even surviving.

Sports Betting gets more popular. And Sport wants more of the TAB take !

But spending a day at races , regularly ,is not cool.

Its much better viewing at home anyway.

We need to accept that , and work with that fact !

Racing mainly makes the news now when there is a scandal ,and the current news re Donations to Politician parties is being highlighted with scorn and disgust.

Do you think Inca has helped !

Darren Weir case will be next and any possible links with new "EPO" testing could be telling even for Australians.

Even I'm thinking of cutting back my diet of 60 meetings a year !Nobody to talk to!

Despite this ,Ellerslie is an outstanding facility , the Board are volunteers so all power to them.

Thans to Ellerslie Board.....you have great assets and equity ,please no $10k stakes.

Not cool to spend the day at the races, better to watch at home , but for some reason leadership believes we need tracks with fabulous stands to house thousands 2 days per year and deliver shite racing on them for the rest of the year...ah yesss that'll bring the racing fans back! Oh and so will an all weather which incidentally will have few facilities ...I can't figure it all out.

So many good tracks in this country that are under utilised with this Strategy in mind its a tragedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Huey said:

Not cool to spend the day at the races, better to watch at home , but for some reason leadership believes we need tracks with fabulous stands to house thousands 2 days per year and deliver shite racing on them for the rest of the year...ah yesss that'll bring the racing fans back! Oh and so will an all weather which incidentally will have few facilities ...I can't figure it all out.

So many good tracks in this country that are under utilised with this Strategy in mind its a tragedy. 

Ellerslie is not under utilised. Private functions in the evenings are a common sight in recent months.

 

20 hours ago, Huey said:

Not cool to spend the day at the races, better to watch at home , but for some reason leadership believes we need tracks with fabulous stands to house thousands 2 days per year and deliver shite racing on them for the rest of the year...ah yesss that'll bring the racing fans back! Oh and so will an all weather which incidentally will have few facilities ...I can't figure it all out.

So many good tracks in this country that are under utilised with this Strategy in mind its a tragedy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, Everton said:

Absolutely agree, I remember the days when I played football in Lower Hutt for our local club Naenae. There committee used to work and fight hard for the club, they got everyone they could involved, they would promote home games big time, the games and club rooms were stuffed with supporters enjoying the game and the aftermath. It doesn't happen by itself, committees or whatever have to do something. 

Dead right Everton, as  a Naenae boy myself I used to cheer on the local sides from the sideline occasionally - there was a lot of work from some dedicated grassroots people that worked tirelessly for those various Naenae sports - softball, football, rugby and boxing among them. We could do with that spirit in racing today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 10:08 AM, Berri said:

that's what happens when you lose hope and don't feel as though there is any direction.

Has been no direction from Winston. Racing industry sucked in by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drewandjo said:

what - you think the Racing Bill already passed and the current one going through the select committee would have happened without him?

Drewandjo, some people are “poles” apart and not worth debating with given their closed views. 
Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, drewandjo said:

what - you think the Racing Bill already passed and the current one going through the select committee would have happened without him?

Looking at the empty grandstands and carparks at Te Rapa on Group 1 day,Winstone has done very little.

I can remember this day was held during the week,mid Feb. Never an empty seat. Once rained off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, drewandjo said:

yeah its the Ministers fault the crowd didn't turn up.....I suppose we should blame the Sports Minister for the drop in Super rugby crowds as well

 

and you believe they would draw a larger crowd running midweek?....haha good joke

 

12 hours ago, drewandjo said:

yeah its the Ministers fault the crowd didn't turn up.....I suppose we should blame the Sports Minister for the drop in Super rugby crowds as well

 

and you believe they would draw a larger crowd running midweek?....haha good joke

 

12 hours ago, drewandjo said:

yeah its the Ministers fault the crowd didn't turn up.....I suppose we should blame the Sports Minister for the drop in Super rugby crowds as well

 

and you believe they would draw a larger crowd running midweek?....haha good joke

I am just high lighting the change in n.z racing. No politician can stop the downward trend with n.z racing.  

Any positive change must come from inside the racing industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, drewandjo said:

what - you think the Racing Bill already passed and the current one going through the select committee would have happened without him?

Writing and passing legislation is one thing. Doing something beneficial for the racing industry's survival and sustainability is another. I don't see anything in the current and proposed legislation that is likely to do that. Do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 10:43 AM, pole said:

am just high lighting the change in n.z racing. No politician can stop the downward trend with n.z racing.

no you said there had been no direction from him and blamed him for empty grandstands and carparks.....he certainly isn't perfect but he is significantly better than the lemons given to us by National

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.