rdytdy

Craig Willliams Surely Had a Brain Explosion

Why would Craig Williams ride the hot favourite Jimmysstar completely upside down at Flemington today?

The $1.30 favourite has never led in his life and Williams works him forward to lead at Flemington which has a long straight. The horse is left a sitting duck and bombed close to home. In every start to date Jimmysstar has been given time to settle into a rhythm and then launch in the run home

I would have expected every speed map would have never had him leading the race with everyone expecting him to be ridden in his usual manner. Had Williams done so in my opinion Jimmysstar would be unbeaten in Australia. 

Another botched ride on a hot favourite if one recalls Giga Kick. 

Be interesting to see if the Stewards ask any questions.   

RACE 91400m R9 The Elms Handicap

icon-race.svg12. Jimmysstar | J: Craig Williams

Craig Williams goes aboard with Blake Shinn unable to ride at the allotted 54kgs. There’s not too much speed on paper so Craig will likely elect to take luck out of the occasion from where we see him very hard to beat, as the market suggest.

A furious Ciaron Maher said he was at a loss as to Craig Williams’ tactics on his hot $1.26 favourite Jimmysstar, who led up before being run down by $151 winner Makram at Flemington on Saturday.

“Craig just had an absolute brain fade,” Maher said after the race.

“I don’t know why he did that. That was not the plan. It has never been discussed.

“It (plan) was ride comfortable wherever he lands back in the field, like he does every start.

“A very, very poor ride. Just stupid.

“I don’t know why he would do that and that’s all I can say. He’s ridden the horse before.”

Jimmysstar jumped well from barrier 10 of 12 but instead of drifting back to find a position as he had in his three previous Australian starts, Williams pressed on with the horse eventually taking the lead.

He travelled well enough but could not shake off his challengers on the home turn and after finally shrugging off Savannah Cloud, he was left a sitting shot for a charging Makram.

Part-owner John O’Neill said connections were surprised to see Jimmysstar in front.

“The horse has never led in his life,” O’Neill observed. “Craig made a call and said they went a lot harder at the start than what he thought.

“He went forward and had the chance to go back and take a little breather in behind the pack and obviously he thought he was an on a $1.20 thing and could just go across and lead.

“Completely foreign territory for the horse, Disappointing for the punters and the owners and I know Ciaron is pretty annoyed and frustrated.

“To Craig’s credit he came back and apologized. He said I made a blue with the ride.”

steady

maybe you should look a bit deeper , who do you reckon stated the comments i  pasted above , i dont know who did but i know  under what Stable s mail it was published.....?

bart simpsons ?  n0 it was posted on ROAR racing as CMR stable mail.

1.30 favourite rissoled and it's all Williams fault.

once he went forward as was noted did they want him to sit posted 3 wide ? or push on and lead ?

did ThomPson tip it ??     

maybe that's the key n0?

or are odds on favourites no value whatsoever ?

i rest my case . 

Just been alerted to this. I rest my case. :)

ps funniest quote ever 

Interesting sometimes when a horse can come from the back of the field and preform well, the rider thinks it can do the same when ridden handy or in front, unfortunately doesn't work like that, very frustrating for owners and trainer to put in the hard yards and have a poor performance by the rider on the day, the other side of the coin it doesn't take to many of these rides to change a horses racing pattern, seen it many times, and eventually when the gates crash open they just want to go hard, and can't be held.

Bar one horse , a rank outsider , he held the rest , no ones having this conversation if he had won . He didn't charge out doing a heap of work , just went forward hoping to slot in but the ones inside kept kicking so he had no choice or sit wide .

No horse with a very few exceptions wins every race , 

Jimmystar will win plenty , don't grumble when you get beat .

50 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Just been alerted to this. I rest my case

"I rest my case"??

Makes it sound like you're suggesting that a guy who has ridden over 2,000 winners and 70+ Group 1 wins, has to answer to you for a judgement call he made during the running of a race!!?? 

32 minutes ago, say no more said:

"I rest my case"??

Makes it sound like you're suggesting that a guy who has ridden over 2,000 winners and 70+ Group 1 wins, has to answer to you for a judgement call he made during the running of a race!!?? 

Well the evidence is compelling. 

Ciaron Maher who trains the horse was annoyed and frustrated withe the ride and the accused has pleaded guilty.

“Completely foreign territory for the horse, Disappointing for the punters and the owners and I know Ciaron is pretty annoyed and frustrated.

“To Craig’s credit he came back and apologized. He said I made a blue with the ride.”

Ted as you know I am a recidivist jockey defender! Three mitigating circumstances: He was the lowest rated horse in the field (85). He was only having his 7th start- the other runners had 226 races between them- seasoned tough campagners- in boxing parlance a bit light throwing a middleweight into the ring v a heavyweight. When you change a back runners racing style to on the pace invariably their breathing pattern goes out of kilter and they are vulnerable late.

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Ted as you know I am a recidivist jockey defender! Three mitigating circumstances: He was the lowest rated horse in the field (85). He was only having his 7th start- the other runners had 226 races between them- seasoned tough campagners- in boxing parlance a bit light throwing a middleweight into the ring v a heavyweight. When you change a back runners racing style to on the pace invariably their breathing pattern goes out of kilter and they are vulnerable late.

Hi Gubes

You remain true to form (as expected) and will defend a rider to the hilt no matter what the circumstances. Riders are human and as such oft to make mistakes, you will see them every race day to be fair and that is understood. However when you see something so completely wrong a comment is warranted.    

Looking at a number of racing stories in Australia media this morning there has only been condemantion of the ride and as you are aware Craig's ride has been slated by trainer Ciaron Maher and the owners. By Craig's own admission he f#*ked up and has apologised.

Unfortunately there are no mitigagting circumstances in the tactics used, he went forward from the get go and worked to finally get to the front completely against instructions and the horse's normal racing pattern. Your last sentence only illustrates why this option was wrong.

I just hope yesterday's ride does not undo all the good work that has gone into the horse. Unfortunately we haven't seen Giga Kick since and it would be a shame if Jimmysstar has been affected by the ride yesterday. I certainly hope not and hope he can bounce back when ridden properly next start.

Between you and me I am not expecting Craig Williams to be listed as the rider.   :D    

I also defend jockeys most of the time but his ride yesterday was a shocker, he made no effort to take a sit one plan only lead, and he got caught out, bad ride, brain fade whatever it was it was a shocker...anyway just my 10c worth,FWIW.

I agree also would be surprised if he is on next time.

“Craig just had an absolute brain fade,” Maher said after the race.

“I don’t know why he did that. That was not the plan. It has never been discussed.

“It (plan) was ride comfortable wherever he lands back in the field, like he does every start.😲

“A very, very poor ride. Just stupid.

“I don’t know why he would do that and that’s all I can say. He’s ridden the horse before.”

me thinks Ciaron didnt go to the races the day Jimmysstar won at Cranbourne 

14 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Just been alerted to this. I rest my case. :)

Williams has 'brain fade' on Jimmy | RACING.COM

You may have rested your case but the stewards found in favour of the jockey's decision to continue forward when trapped wide. 

Brilliant rider, fantastic career.

Jimmysstar (NZ) When questioned Craig Williams explained as the gelding has a tendency to be slow to begin he urged his mount from the barrier to try to hold his position and if possible obtain an on pace trailing position behind Savannah Cloud which was a notified change of tactics to be ridden forward. He added however when the horses racing to his inside held their position, he elected to allow his mount to stride and take up the lead rather than be caught wide without cover. C Williams further explained he was happy with how the gelding travelled during the race, however on straightening, when pressured by Savanah Cloud, Jimmysstar did not quicken as expected but fought on well and he expressed satisfaction with the performance. Trainer Ciaron Maher explained that his only instruction was to have the gelding ridden where comfortable. Mr Maher expressed disappointment that Craig Williams appeared to ride the horse with intent from the start, which resulted in Jimmysstar being positioned further forward and wide. He added that Jimmysstar is best ridden with cover and expressed dissatisfaction with the ride of Craig Williams. Stewards, after hearing submissions from Craig Williams, noted his explanation and advised him that after he was caught wide his decision to continue forward was not unreasonable in the circumstances. A post-race veterinary examination failed to reveal any obvious abnormality other than the gelding lost the near fore plate.

16 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Still yet to see a speed map that had him leading. 

Did you see Ciaron Maher's face following the race? Would have loved to have heard the conversation between Ciaron and Craig Williams following the race. :ph34r:

https://cdn.prism.horse/media/86a686a81f00400b80574d1c7f295883.mp4

Gubellini nailed it .....its all about the 'breathing' ....and when a back runner is ridden for speed like Jimmysstar was yesterday he immediately becomes vulnerable .....and so it proved as he was annoyed all the way and didn't settle or get into his breathing pattern.

Yes ....Willow had a 'Barry Crocker' ....and the losers were the punters who put their faith in him to do better!  ....There are 130 variables in every horse race .....and thats just one of them....a horse MUST be ridden in its comfort zone to produce its best.

Feeling for those punters that did their cash.... you were rorted.

FF.

6 minutes ago, Friend Family said:

Gubellini nailed it .....its all about the 'breathing' ....and when a back runner is ridden for speed like Jimmysstar was yesterday he immediately becomes vulnerable .....and so it proved as he was annoyed all the way and didn't settle or get into his breathing pattern.

Yes ....Willow had a 'Barry Crocker' ....and the losers were the punters who put their faith in him to do better!  ....There are 130 variables in every horse race .....and thats just one of them....a horse MUST be ridden in its comfort zone to produce its best.

Feeling for those punters that did their cash.... you were rorted.

FF.

funniest post ever

a restricted class horse beaten in a listed race @ $1.30 and the worlds coming to an end..............

and as was advised on the CMR stable mail Craig will likely take luck out of the occasion.........

you blokes are dead set kidding yourselves if you think anything other than what the stewards reported,