RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bloke

Te Rapa Race Crowd

I see that it was free general admission today but very few took up the offer with the public stand almost empty and a few picnic goers on the lawn. This on the day when we probably had the best fields of the season.

I recall reading that Cambridge stud pulled out of the fillies group race a few years ago because they were appalled at the attendance and the poor marketing of the day. I doubt whether the "Fat Butcher" will be able to turn this around as he was Weaver's right-hand man when they stuffed the Auckland Cup by chasing away the general punter.

Waikato is supposed to be the hub of the thoroughbred industry so why is there not the support?

9 hours ago, barryb said:

We’re you there Bloke?

I was and the crowd was of a similar size to New Yrs day, only cup day has had a larger crowd.

I was watching Trackside. The Public Area was almost empty even though it was free admittance. 

1 hour ago, TurnyTom said:

A friend went to Riccarton yesterday, the outdoor area had about 20 patrons, but he tells me the inside area was jam packed, biggest crowd he has seen there for years, excluding Cup day.

The TV coverage can mislead

Can't say I noticed many.

4 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Went awhile ago the food is absolute shyte...if they hope to get people back to the races that would be a good place to start...JMO

Here is an email I send at 8am this morning after being completely f--ked off with how appalling it is.

Firstly congratulations on a fantastic race day, entertaining races & a great crowd present.

Unfortunately the great day was spoilt by the offerings in the members lounge, what was served was not befitting of such a day.

I have been a member for over 10yrs & almost without fail attend every meeting, gradually over the last 12 months the offerings, service & general standard in the members has degraded to what was a new low yesterday.

The offerings in the members is poor & the service is slow to hopeless at times, yesterday we ordered pies & savories (as there was virtually nothing else anyway) & they were cold, the slices were ordered were small and made 3 or more days ago.

The bar opened at 11:45am & we ordered our first drinks to be told they had no Chardonnay & needed to go away and get it, really?. They had the entire morning to check stocks & get organized & don't have one of the most ordered drinks.

We ordered coffee's late in the day & it took almost 2 races for us to see them, to the point where we had forgotten we had ordered.

The absolute bizarre thing is that the public on level 1 enjoy a better selection & service, we ended up dispatching someone to go down there & get muffins/slices for us.

This feeling is quite widespread amongst members from what I have heard, a smart thing would be to survey members to troubleshoot & get suggested improvements.

Regards

Barry

10 minutes ago, barryb said:

Here is an email I send at 8am this morning after being completely f--ked off with how appalling it is.

Firstly congratulations on a fantastic race day, entertaining races & a great crowd present.

Unfortunately the great day was spoilt by the offerings in the members lounge, what was served was not befitting of such a day.

I have been a member for over 10yrs & almost without fail attend every meeting, gradually over the last 12 months the offerings, service & general standard in the members has degraded to what was a new low yesterday.

The offerings in the members is poor & the service is slow to hopeless at times, yesterday we ordered pies & savories (as there was virtually nothing else anyway) & they were cold, the slices were ordered were small and made 3 or more days ago.

The bar opened at 11:45am & we ordered our first drinks to be told they had no Chardonnay & needed to go away and get it, really?. They had the entire morning to check stocks & get organized & don't have one of the most ordered drinks.

We ordered coffee's late in the day & it took almost 2 races for us to see them, to the point where we had forgotten we had ordered.

The absolute bizarre thing is that the public on level 1 enjoy a better selection & service, we ended up dispatching someone to go down there & get muffins/slices for us.

This feeling is quite widespread amongst members from what I have heard, a smart thing would be to survey members to troubleshoot & get suggested improvements.

Regards

Barry

Get your order in before Butch does Barry…..:rolleyes:

Back in my 20,s and 30,s a few mates and I would happily go to Alex. Park on Friday night and then off to Te Rapa/Matamata/Thames or wherever

the Saturday races were.As I got older and with the usual obstacles like drink driving laws /marriage/kids I find sitting on my sofa with my Sky remote in

hand and the fridge nearby is a much nicer option😁

2 hours ago, Basil brush said:

Back in my 20,s and 30,s a few mates and I would happily go to Alex. Park on Friday night and then off to Te Rapa/Matamata/Thames or wherever

the Saturday races were.As I got older and with the usual obstacles like drink driving laws /marriage/kids I find sitting on my sofa with my Sky remote in

hand and the fridge nearby is a much nicer option😁

therein lies the answer to the question - How do you get people back on Racecourses?

Get rid of Trackside -  will save heaps of $$ too.

Then up the oncourse facilities and food/drink. make the day pleasureable.

Butcher and his cohorts think that he is the savior of NZ Racing. 

Years ago at the Wellington Racing Club I worked with Andrew but after a couple of programming disagreements, he refused to work with me!

Since then he has been paid by the Otaki Maori Racing Club,  the Auckland Racing Club,  the Hawkes Bay Jockey Club and now the Waikato Racing Club.

To quote Andrew [Butcher] from all those years ago; He was the professional and I was only the volunteer, therefore no longer could he work with me.

How some people can fool most of the people all of the time, totally confuses me. 

Maybe I confused the Butcher LOL

Liz 

2 hours ago, Contentious said:

therein lies the answer to the question - How do you get people back on Racecourses?

Get rid of Trackside -  will save heaps of $$ too.

Then up the oncourse facilities and food/drink. make the day pleasureable.

Yep and get rid those aussie races from here to timbuktu,  have no interest for me. 

12 hours ago, Insider said:

Butcher and his cohorts think that he is the savior of NZ Racing. 

Years ago at the Wellington Racing Club I worked with Andrew but after a couple of programming disagreements, he refused to work with me!

Since then he has been paid by the Otaki Maori Racing Club,  the Auckland Racing Club,  the Hawkes Bay Jockey Club and now the Waikato Racing Club.

To quote Andrew [Butcher] from all those years ago; He was the professional and I was only the volunteer, therefore no longer could he work with me.

How some people can fool most of the people all of the time, totally confuses me. 

Maybe I confused the Butcher LOL

Liz 

Blind leading the blind Liz….. ?:rolleyes:

375CD1D8-6BCC-4B55-968C-A62CF45BB079.jpeg

Good response from Butch.

Hi Barry

Thanks for your feedback below. It is disappointing that the standards have dropped further in the Kentucky Lounge as I have been working with Kerr & Ladbrook to address their food options and service to Members.

I can assure you I take this feedback very seriously and have arranged to meet with the caterers this afternoon to try and understand why these issues are happening. 

I agree the racing was fantastic Saturday but for you to have to wait so long for a coffee and for there to be no Chardonnay at the start of the day is completely unacceptable!

I have asked Ashleigh to pull together an email to members asking for their suggestions on how we could improve the service and offerings in the Kentucky Lounge- this should be out in the next couple of days.

Best regards

Andrew (Butch) Castles 
CEO - Waikato Racing Club 
07 849 8804 | 021 384 289
andrew@teraparacing.co.nz

Monday 13th February

Dear Waikato Racing Club Member,

We have had a number of comments recently both verbal and in email form around less than acceptable food and beverage offerings in the Kentucky Lounge.

We take this very seriously and have been working with Kerr & Ladbrook to try and improve the standards.

The purpose of this email is to ask for your feedback as to how we might improve the offering and level of service. Is there a type of food not being served that you feel could work well? Do you think there is a better way of serving the food? What beverage options would you like to see made available?

Please click on the button below to provide us with your feedback or suggestions. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we work with Kerr & Ladbrook to raise the standard of both the offering and service. 

Best regards

Andrew (Butch) Castles

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Good response from Butch.

Hi Barry

Thanks for your feedback below. It is disappointing that the standards have dropped further in the Kentucky Lounge as I have been working with Kerr & Ladbrook to address their food options and service to Members.

I can assure you I take this feedback very seriously and have arranged to meet with the caterers this afternoon to try and understand why these issues are happening. 

I agree the racing was fantastic Saturday but for you to have to wait so long for a coffee and for there to be no Chardonnay at the start of the day is completely unacceptable!

I have asked Ashleigh to pull together an email to members asking for their suggestions on how we could improve the service and offerings in the Kentucky Lounge- this should be out in the next couple of days.

Best regards

Andrew (Butch) Castles 
07 849 8804 | 021 384 289
andrew@teraparacing.co.nz

Was it at least a decent chardonnay when it finally did arrive Barry?

2 hours ago, Griffin said:

Surely decent management would have this in place before the biggest raceday of the year, not wait until there is a complaint made.

That would be common sense Griff - unfortunately common sense is not that common in racing administration.