Pete Lane

Ellerslie track issues

12 hours ago, Peter Harrop said:

Maybe the problem with Legarto was less to do with the track and more to do with Desert Lightning being too good for her on the day.

Desert Lightning ran the fastest 1600 metre time in New Zealand for 10 years, and the eighth fastest in the last 30 years. Surely if the track was dodgy they wouldn't be running those sort of times.

Are you the same Mr Harrop who runs racebase?

14 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

They got very close to losing this little claim…..:rolleyes:

ALL WEATHER

There has never been a track related wet weather cancellation on a StrathAyr Track System. Never.
We custom-design each track’s drainage system to cope with local climatic conditions, which helps to prevent track closures due to weather.

So, where would the club stand with whatever construction contract they signed for any compensation perhaps due?

1 hour ago, Hi Ho Silver said:

So, where would the club stand with whatever construction contract they signed for any compensation perhaps due?

I suspect the Club was at fault doing the required track preparation too soon.
Strathayr are coming back to get it right. Education refresh too probably…..:rolleyes:

A message from NZTR COO, Darin Balcombe and Head of Tracks and Infrastructure, Tim Lambert.

No images? Click here

CorporateEmail-banner-9900000000079e3c.p

NZTR’s Chief Operating Officer, Darin Balcombe, and Head of Tracks and Infrastructure, Tim Lambert, would like to provide an update on the track issues experienced in the past week and the expected Return to Racing for those venues. 

Hastings Racecourse
Following the partial abandonment on Thursday 25 January, an investigation has taken place, considering information from the Racing Integrity Board (RIB), Hawke’s Bay Racing Inc. and an independent report from NZSTI. After reviewing the reports, NZTR can confirm that the the 18 February meeting will be scheduled to be held at the venue, as programmed. Jumpouts were held on the day following races, but the identified area was coned off to alleviate any concerns. The main concern raised on the day was with the consistency of the track where old hoof holes were ‘blowing out’ during the race meeting on Thursday 25 January. These holes have been addressed post-raceday and with good growing conditions in Hawke’s Bay, the track will have enough time to bed in. Before the meeting scheduled for 18 February, horses will be required to gallop over the ‘problematic area’ that was identified 12 metres off the rail.

RACE Trentham
Following an investigation regarding the Trentham partial abandonment on Saturday 27 January, NZTR are working with the Club to find solutions to the area that is currently unable to be irrigated. The incident that occurred on raceday was outside the irrigation line, on a much harder surface. After 10mm of rain Saturday morning, this created a vulnerable surface out wide, which resulted in ZACKERY slipping in Race 4, near the 600-metre mark. NZTR will continue to monitor the situation at Trentham over the next couple of weeks, to ensure the best possible outcome for the industry for the March 9 raceday. As always, the ability to provide a safe racing surface will be at the forefront of any decisions that are required to be made. If appropriate solutions to this area cannot be found, NZTR will assess the pending programme and venues and may look for alternate venues, to ensure race meetings can take place safely. The inside six metres of the track has been renovated and the rail will return to the true position for Al Basti Equiworld Dubai New Zealand Oaks Raceday on Saturday 16 March which will negate the issue of the area rounding the turn.

Ellerslie Racecourse
Immediately after Saturday’s race meeting at Ellerslie where some Jockeys experienced movement after 3mms of rain fell during the race meeting, Auckland Thoroughbred Racing (ATR) undertook a review which included Frank Casimaty from Strathayr. From that review, it was identified that a thick layer of roots had caused the issues experienced, it was agreed that Jason Fulford, Track Manager for ATR, would use appropriate machinery this week to break down that thick layer of roots just below the surface to ensure the horses get a better purchase on the track. Following the completion of this machinery work, jumpouts will be held at Ellerslie for Auckland based horses. The jumpouts are scheduled for Monday, 12 February. 

9 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

How can an area be unable to be irrigated? Surely they could pop down to Bunnings and buy a length of hose and a couple of sprinklers?

Can't be too hard. Maybe one or two of these: https://www.irrigationexpress.co.nz/product/irripod-single-line-pod-kit/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwvKtBhDrARIsAJj-kTjOxYxZmbc4h5Ib9llgJrJB_ZZkMtznSaIca5X3Xt5TqKe1xdDgX04aAqlKEALw_wcB

At least it should be easily fixable.

NO track is all-weather by definition.

They use the term up here yet we've had meetings lost to fog, high winds, snow and flooding.

It's all very well the track being raceable if the roads round the track are flooded or covered in a foot of snow or if a river has burst its banks and inundated the course buildings.

I remember one particularly snowy spell and the Lingfield clerk was bemoaning having to abandon the meeting on Police advice. "The track's fine and perfectly raceable". he said, "but the Police have told me the surrounding roads are snowbound and no one can get here."

Yes, fantastic track, no runners, no riders, no staff, no punters but otherwise good to go....

46 minutes ago, stodge said:

NO track is all-weather by definition.

They use the term up here yet we've had meetings lost to fog, high winds, snow and flooding.

It's all very well the track being raceable if the roads round the track are flooded or covered in a foot of snow or if a river has burst its banks and inundated the course buildings.

I remember one particularly snowy spell and the Lingfield clerk was bemoaning having to abandon the meeting on Police advice. "The track's fine and perfectly raceable". he said, "but the Police have told me the surrounding roads are snowbound and no one can get here."

Yes, fantastic track, no runners, no riders, no staff, no punters but otherwise good to go....

I can remember Moonee Valley being called off during a meeting only a year or so ago.

I have heard from a few people there have been many sore horses that raced on Karaka Millions night in the days and weeks after the meeting, lets hope for everyones sake they sort these track issues out..or it could end up a huge white elephant.

I believe this is not just just restricted to a few horses but a large number....some with no previous soremness issues over previous multiple years of racing.

You are absolutely correct Scooby not only on Karaka night but also before that I know one horse 8yrs never had a leg or lameness problem in his life fractured a leg this week at a jump out and had to be euthanised he had pulled up sore after racing at Ellerslie was vet checked and cleared to carry on but it does leave question whether that was a result from the race at Ellerslie.Also another trainer has said to me that they are not to keen to go back to Ellerslie after there horse pulled up sore after the 2yr Karaka Million had also been sore after lead up gallops on the same track, that horse did finish in a place.Like Scooby have heard of many horses that pulled up sore.Something is seriously wrong and I hope for NZ racing that it can be fixed.There seems to be more horses sore than when the Synthetic went in at Cambridge .

They definitely have a significant problem, presumably the thick layer of roots below the surface causing the multiple soundness issues as well as the slipping on the day. Whether mechanical treatment can fix that or not, or whether it will have to be worked up and resown, only time will tell and even then trainer and connection confidence will need to be restored.

It's a real tragedy that according to Sharrock, this was the day to take NZ racing to the world. In the end, the racing at all 3 venues (all major venues) on the day could have and probably should have been abandoned for health and safety reasons. All due to derelict infrastructure.

10 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I have heard from a few people there have been many sore horses that raced on Karaka Millions night in the days and weeks after the meeting, lets hope for everyones sake they sort these track issues out..or it could end up a huge white elephant.

I believe this is not just just restricted to a few horses but a large number....some with no previous soremness issues over previous multiple years of racing.

We havnt seen significant rain yet. These issues will compound. 

1 minute ago, Gruff said:

They should of built around the existing structure like you would a 200 yr old tree or a golf course running through property like at One tree point. Braindead

Crazy how tree can receive heritage protection but an iconic piece of land to the global racing industry gets smashed into oblivion to build some friggn houses. I tell ya I bet theres a lot of regret and apprehension at the moment.

1 minute ago, THE TORCH said:

Crazy how tree can receive heritage protection but an iconic piece of land to the global racing industry gets smashed into oblivion to build some friggn houses. I tell ya I bet theres a lot of regret and apprehension at the moment.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And given the uncertainty  around animal rights Steeplechasing like Greyhounds were on a short leash

3 minutes ago, Gruff said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And given the uncertainty  around animal rights Steeplechasing like Greyhounds were on a short leash

Should have been smarter with their money. Investment options are numerous. They should never have had to sell off the one thing that made that course so very very special. Now its just another right handed track........except it injures horses.