RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

James McDonald

16 hours ago, turny said:

More than a black mark - Trump is on the mark - this is very serious

I agree. Theyre saying if he cooperates it would bring that 2 year sentence down IF he's found guilty. He *was* exceptionally excited  crossing the line...." Fairfax Media understands  stewards had their interest sparked by McDonald's celebratory punching into the air as he hit the line but until Tuesday they had no evidence to suggest why he might have been so excited".

If true, this happened in December 2015, so it has taken a while to come to light.

As for the "excited celebration", he has always been very positive about Astern and regards him very highly.

The "bet" must have been a substantial one to take a risk like this.

47 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

If true, this happened in December 2015, so it has taken a while to come to light.

As for the "excited celebration", he has always been very positive about Astern and regards him very highly.

The "bet" must have been a substantial one to take a risk like this.

They are alleging it was $1,000.  

30 minutes ago, the shue25 said:

I have been reading the village racing forum, an australian racing forum,. The aussie  guys that make comments in that site are pretty ruthless in their observations of this particular saga. 

Hopefully that is just steam/hot air (you know how Aussies blow - just look at their cricketers).  Hopefully it's just someone with a grudge or a nasty rumour.  Wait and see, I hope it's just all settled quickly, and favorably, for JMc.

$1,000 bet could cost James McDonald his million dollar job

Posted by: Morgan Payne
ASTERN,Z_1_RW_05122015__B129.JPGJames McDonald steering Astern to victory in the race that could cost him his job

An alleged bet of $1,000 could cost jockey James McDonald his million dollar yearly contract with Godolphin.

McDonald voluntarily stood himself down from riding on Tuesday after stewards charged him for having an interest in a bet on Godolphin runner Astern in December last year.

It is reported by Fairfax Media that stewards had their interest sparked by McDonald’s overzealous celebration for the class of race but it was not until Tuesday that they had a reason for him doing so.

The evidence stewards found was a link between McDonald and a Sydney man Anthony Gardiner who is nicknamed “the tennis player.”

It is understood Gardiner had placed a $1,000 bet on behalf of McDonald on Astern to collect close to $5,000 however stewards are tight lipped on the situation and are yet to confirm these allegations.

Godolphin on Wednesday issued a statement regarding the matter.

“(McDonald’s) decision to step down from riding, pending the outcome of the investigation, is the right one,” the statement said. “We will continue to support him throughout this process.”

The inquiry is likely to take weeks or even months to be concluded with stewards set to interview both McDonald, Gardiner and other parties of interest.

If found guilty McDonald faces a mandatory two-year ban from riding which will ultimately see him lose his position as Godolphin’s number one stable rider in Australia which netted him close to a million dollars in earnings last year.

On 16/11/2016 at 1:37 PM, Trump said:

Under the Rule 83 JMac has been charged, if found guilty, the rules state a "Minimum mandatory sentence of 2 years disqualification". He's in deep shit and the only way he can possibly get a reduction of sentence  (if found guilty) is to plead guilty. They would not have charged him if they had not the info from the police. Racing will survive, as will Godolphin. In the meantime, poor young James must be asking himself some serious questions.

Highly unlikely that a guilty plea could be argued to amount to special circumstances. I'd say 2 years is the minimum if guilty as charged.

(5) Where a person is found guilty of a breach of any of the Rules listed below, a penalty of disqualification for a period of not less than the period specified for that Rule must be imposed unless there is a finding that a special circumstance exists whereupon the penalty may be reduced.

(ii) AR83(d)–2 years

And Trump, have another read of this: " the only way he can possibly get a reduction of sentence  (if found guilty) is to plead guilty."

What was the name of the Australian Jockey who tipped out a long term prospect for the English Derby and had 10,000 pounds on it along with a bunch of visiting Aussie personalities. UK10,000 nowadays very much more. However before the race he was replaced by Lester Piggott and ended up riding a 40:1 outsider. Coming with a late run he nudged Lester Piggott out to win.

Who says the Aussie jocks aren't honest.

Technically, a jockey can "have an interest" in a bet without evening knowing about it.

It's not uncommon from my understanding for owners to put a few bucks on their horse as a gift for the jockey should the horse salute.  

I'm not suggesting that's the case here - I would rather not speculate on the facts until they all come out - I'm just saying that to "have an interest" in a bet could potentially have a very wide meaning.

17 minutes ago, Racing84 said:

It's not uncommon from my understanding for owners to put a few bucks on their horse as a gift for the jockey should the horse salute. 

That would certainly seem to be an interest in a bet which is clearly a breach of the rules.

People seem to be all coming out in his favour because he is a nice NZ boy. I'm sure if he was an Australian jockey you would all be saying throw the book at him.

It sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do on his part. Must be hard to remain grounded when when you start getting all the adulation he does.

45 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

People seem to be all coming out in his favour because he is a nice NZ boy. I'm sure if he was an Australian jockey you would all be saying throw the book at him.

It sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do on his part. Must be hard to remain grounded when when you start getting all the adulation he does.

Probably because unlike Oliver the interest was on his own horse. I still think a jockey should be allowed to back his own mount and they were allowed to here until Cameron George stuck his nose in and stopped it.

But back to James, under the current rules it was pretty silly thing to do but the penalty in my opinion no way fits the crime if that's what you want to call it and let's face it, it is a victimless crime anyway.  A minimum of two years is the penalty, which will stop him making a living from his profession and what would amount to a huge financial penalty in real costs for him. With weight issues it could well a career ending penalty. 

A fine and A Stern warning would be more appropriate.