RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

James McDonald

James McDonald has voluntarily stood himself down from race riding today after an inquiry into a betting related charge. NSW Stewards today charged him under Rule AR 83(d). He has been charged with having an interest in a bet on his mount Astern in Race 1 at Randwick on 5/12/15.

23 minutes ago, Trump said:

If there's anything to it, Why would someone in his position do something that might result in a lengthy spell ? Greed? I hope for his sake there's nothing to it but as they say, "Where there's smoke....."

Oliver got 9 months for betting 10k on another horse in the race he was riding in, at least we know James was trying. Storm in a tea cup. Rules are rules but I can't see this ending too badly for JMac.

Might be a costly interest:

by Andrew Eddy

Champion Sydney rider James McDonald has sensationally stood himself down from riding pending the hearing of a serious charge of having either placed or had an interest in a bet on boom juvenile Astern late last year.

Racing NSW stewards on Tuesday announced the charge against the rider for the global racing giant Godolphin, claiming they were acting on intelligence received.

Stewards immediately conducted an interview with McDonald about his association with a known punter and the betting activities of that punter.

After the interview, Racing NSW stewards issued a charge against McDonald under AR83(d), which states:

"Every jockey or apprentice may be penalised if he bets, or has any interest in a bet on any race or contingency relating to Thoroughbred racing involving a race in which he is riding. For the purposes of this rule, a bet includes a lay bet."

Stewards said the details of the charge were that McDonald had an interest in a bet on his mount Astern to win in the opening race at Royal Randwick on Saturday, 5 December 2015. McDonald was not required to enter a plea.

After opening up at $4, Astern, who this August won the $1 million Golden Rose in Sydney, drifted to $4.60 before being backed into $3.50. Astern led and won easily by two-and-a-half lengths.

The No. 1 rider for Godolphin Australia's head trainer John O'Shea, the Kiwi travelled widely through Europe during the Australian winter riding a number of Godolphin horses for its owner Sheikh Mohammed.

Godolphin is renowned throughout the world for cutting ties with employees who break the rules of racing and so the outfit will be watching the forthcoming hearing into McDonald's conduct with interest.

Subsequent to the charge being issued, stewards indicated they would consider exercising a discretion under AR8(z) to suspend his licence on the basis that his ongoing participation would pose an unacceptable risk to, prejudice or undermine the image, interests or integrity of racing.

Upon application from McDonald, the stewards acceded to his request that in the circumstances he would be permitted to voluntarily stand himself down from riding immediately pending the hearing of the charge.

McDonald was advised that should he seek to withdraw his application to voluntarily stand down, he would be required to attend a hearing before the stewards and make submissions in respect to AR8(z).

Stewards also advised McDonald that they would continue their investigations in relation to the intelligence received and reserved their position to issue additional charges should the evidence establish any further breaches of the Rules of Racing.

A date is yet to be fixed for the charge to be heard.

He is alleged to have had an interest in a bet on a horse he rode !! Big deal, if he'd bet against himself, or gambled on Betfiar, laying one of his mounts to lose I'd get this but surely this is a "beat up" over nothing ?

Rules are rules, I get that, but this has to be a minor offense rather than a hanging crime.

6 hours ago, mckenzie said:

I don't imagine Godolphin will be thrilled

3 hours ago, Insider said:

Uncle Peter won't be impressed!

Much as those guys helped him immensely to get where he is at I suspect the J Mac machine would not stumble if they were both to withdraw support. I am sure I could scratch around and find him a full book should he decide to turn up to Reefton in January.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

He is alleged to have had an interest in a bet on a horse he rode !! Big deal, if he'd bet against himself, or gambled on Betfiar, laying one of his mounts to lose I'd get this but surely this is a "beat up" over nothing ?

Rules are rules, I get that, but this has to be a minor offense rather than a hanging crime.

True Midget. Don't know why he'd need to do it but the most important thing in these types of charges (or any charges for that matter) is consistency. We're fighting against that here with out stipes almost on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Agree, however the rule AR 83 (d) can carry a 2 year disqualification.   

....as a judge:blink:.... makes you wonder in a close finish how he could manipulate the photo,although you never get to see the inside and outside points of reference do you???case in point Almoonqith at Sandown on Sat, even allowing for the angle which favours the inside it still looked the winner but the official finish photo  shows a clear margin for Beautiful Romance yet if you look at the still on the line from the video it seems to be taken from off the line:ph34r: not insinuating foul play but potential for this must be considered...surely,they are Australians after all :D

Under the Rule 83 JMac has been charged, if found guilty, the rules state a "Minimum mandatory sentence of 2 years disqualification". He's in deep shit and the only way he can possibly get a reduction of sentence  (if found guilty) is to plead guilty. They would not have charged him if they had not the info from the police. Racing will survive, as will Godolphin. In the meantime, poor young James must be asking himself some serious questions.

Rule number 1 is you can't bet on a horse that you are riding. 

Rule number 2 if you chose to break rule number 1 then you should not get caught.

I personally have no issue with the jockey punting his horse to win.  This is on the other side of the spectrum to what D Oliver done when he placed $10K on another horse in the race he was riding.  I would have scrubbed him out for 5 years plus.

Where this could cause J MacDonald the most issues is if the reported association with a NSW punter (if this punter is related to organised crime).  And if that is the found to be the case this is not a good look.

All in all this is looking foolish.

17 minutes ago, Trump said:

Under the Rule 83 JMac has been charged, if found guilty, the rules state a "Minimum mandatory sentence of 2 years disqualification". He's in deep shit and the only way he can possibly get a reduction of sentence  (if found guilty) is to plead guilty. They would not have charged him if they had not the info from the police. Racing will survive, as will Godolphin. In the meantime, poor young James must be asking himself some serious questions.

I am guessing this rule came in after D Oliver was suspended for less than a year when he committed the ultimate sin of backing another horse?