RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Matey

BGP lose a million bucks

It's a promotional gimmick. It is not intended as a way to make money for people.  The TAB can only make money off it if they lose, in contrast to tote betting where the TAB can make money if they break even or show a small profit.

I don't imagine many on here took a share but it appeals to a certain element of joe public.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Over generations new racing punters have thought they could reinvent the wheel. The wheel is still turning but the new punters keep burning.

Yep .. the TAB shouldn't really be highlighting this sort of thing in my opinion, definitely a promotional gimmick promoting huge betting. Remember Steel Balls, they highlighted him as a promotional tool making it look as though anyone can beat the TAB, now we all know that is BS. And look what happened to Steel Balls, a real quick fall from grace.

Given clubs get 12% turnover on betting I’m sure they did a deal to split it with ARC. To be fair had Faraglioni won everyone with be lauding them! Same if full force got up or Tallisker ran top 6… that’s punting tho 

I remember a couple years back people complained that the TAB was giving them preferential treatment with the Hes A Doozy bet that resulted in the punters club returning a nice profit.

And then there was the year where the return was something like 90c on the dollar but the TAB topped it up to give everyone their money back at 1:1 - people complained then too.

And lets be honest, if Joe Bloggs had bet their punters club money via their own tickets instead of BGP, the TAB would have made off with a similar amount.  

2 hours ago, Benbatl said:

Given clubs get 12% turnover on betting I’m sure they did a deal to split it with ARC. To be fair had Faraglioni won everyone with be lauding them! Same if full force got up or Tallisker ran top 6… that’s punting tho 

And had Lergarto won to get the multi home

3 hours ago, Benbatl said:

Do the clubs get the same percentage on fixed odds as tote betting?

54 minutes ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

Some of their bets....head shakers really. 

As for TAB...there is a reason many of us put our hard earned through overseas bookies. Legal - for now.

One wonders how things would have been viewed if BGP had won, 1.5 mill.

Thought the final bet of the day was over-complicating things, didn't have a share. Earlier multi had Legarto into Orchestral. For the final race, the TAB site had the ~$600k bet as being on Orchestral FF win, but on the BGP social media the actual bet was Orchestral Top 4, Talisker Top 6. It was corrected after the race.. that would've been fun if you were new to the game.

BGP did a great job with the punting IMO. There were a number of close calls that would have resulted in a profit on the day. If you're a serious punter, the number one objective is to secure overs by getting a price above what it should be paying. BGP, through some early bets, certainly did that. From there it's a matter of luck in the running and the race pattern. Sometimes it's just not your day, through no fault of your own. And it's made even more difficult through a small card of races. 

They've lost last 2 years, but from memory I think they've had great years before that. I look forward to seeing the selections of those complaining, pre-meeting not post-meeting, next year. Lol.

I was there, Yes its great to win but how often are we successful punters. Its a days entertainment and you were returned 50% of your investment., thats not all bad.  There was a fantastic cross section of the the public in the room, young, old male and female and looked like they were all enjoying the day. Good on the BGP lads for promoting our industry and perhaps bringing lots of new blood to the game.

Lets give them some credit for all the effort that went into an enjoyable day.

14 hours ago, Matey said:

Over the last two Karaka Milion race meetings , BGP with their very average punting have cost their supporters $1m , the only winner here is the TAB, perhaps there is a kickback involved ..... just saying ?

Except getting Cool n Fast @ 21s to watch it drop to 5s and Faraglioni @ 14s also dropping to 5s later is not 'average' punting. It's excellent punting.

21 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

BGP did a great job with the punting IMO. There were a number of close calls that would have resulted in a profit on the day. If you're a serious punter, the number one objective is to secure overs by getting a price above what it should be paying. BGP, through some early bets, certainly did that. From there it's a matter of luck in the running and the race pattern. Sometimes it's just not your day, through no fault of your own. And it's made even more difficult through a small card of races. 

They've lost last 2 years, but from memory I think they've had great years before that. I look forward to seeing the selections of those complaining, pre-meeting not post-meeting, next year. Lol.

Sir you can see all our selections on this site every Saturday. Currently in the fabulous fours competition. All before the race. You can’t sneak any picks past John after they’ve started. 

There is a vast difference between throwing darts and spending 1 million Dollars of other peoples money in the Public eye Memps . Certainly should of achieved more with those results but as a punter you know some days you have the ingredients but just don't get the desired results

26 minutes ago, Gruff said:

There is a vast difference between throwing darts and spending 1 million Dollars of other peoples money in the Public eye Memps . Certainly should of achieved more with those results but as a punter you know some days you have the ingredients but just don't get the desired results

Don’t even own a dart board Gruffster. . Or darts . Same system for picking winners. The big difference is the staking. 

1 hour ago, Peter Harrop said:

If losing 50% of your stake is a great job.....??

They do a a great job overall in terms of marketing etc. Sure. But lousy on the punt, last two years. 

BTW I am not complaining. I can just do maths. They have been poor and they need to improve in the punting dept, in my view. 

8 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

Sir you can see all our selections on this site every Saturday. Currently in the fabulous fours competition. All before the race. You can’t sneak any picks past John after they’ve started. 

And John now has a total results leaderboard too