RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
edor

Keep the northerns at Te Rapa

13 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Only negative was Shaun Fanning being fined $4,000 for using his whip above the shoulders in the last part of the race. A manifestly severe sentence. Hope he appeals. A great ride on West Coast spoiled by over zealous stipendary stewards.

Why? Rules are rules. It's in line with the penalty guidelines and was a very bad look.

It's the adjudicative committee that make the penalty decision not the stipes. In my view, the horse should lose the race to try and put an end to this sort of cruel behaviour.

50 minutes ago, edor said:

what a spectacle today by far the best jumping course left

Te Rapa is an amazing track, seems to go around most weeks over the last year or so. Northern racing would have had to close down for this winter if they didn't have Te Rapa. If they had an award for track of the year each season I'm sure it would have gone to Te Rapa for the season just gone.

33 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Leggy there were four stipendiary stewards at Te Rapa today- Messrs Jones (chair), Oatham, Dooley and Selvakumaran. Who comprised the adjudicative committee?

Sorry. Don't know. Last time he was charged for the same thing after the Wellington Steeplechase it was N Moffatt and N McCutcheon.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Why? Rules are rules. It's in line with the penalty guidelines and was a very bad look.

It's the adjudicative committee that make the penalty decision not the stipes. In my view, the horse should lose the race to try and put an end to this sort of cruel behaviour.

While talking about whip use , and prior to me being aware of any sanction involving Fannin, the young lady's whip carriage ( I wouldn't say use)on Imprevu in the last 50 meters caught my eye. It appeared she had stopped actually using the whip but flicking the reins with her left hand while having the whip facing forward in that hand brought the whip very close? to the top of the horse's head. Maybe a warning or mentor education was in order.I'm not suggesting any ill-intent but a certain trans-Tasman jockey would have probably got 6 months.Thoughts?

9 hours ago, edor said:

what a spectacle today by far the best jumping course left

Don't know about being the best course but the video coverage was spectacular.  About time, shame it was spoilt by fine imposed.  Maybe time to to stik whips where the sun don't shine & refuse to use the kash kow it's become.  I recall yrs ago some called to refuse to use but few would stik together, typical kiwi.  Watch the old Melbourne Cup wins & other big races, count how many times The pumper used his to get to the line.  Too many uneducated do gooders &  those trying to appease all those uneducated fools who've never probably ridden a nag let alone a racehorse

Might be behind the eight ball but will this new surface at Ellerslie allow any jumps races or is that now completely finished there?

Another thing that comes to mind, if it's going to be the all-weather surface it's purported to be, will it then make it unneccessary to travel all the way to Ruakaka for a good winter surface?

Just wondering.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Might be behind the eight ball but will this new surface at Ellerslie allow any jumps races or is that now completely finished there?

Another thing that comes to mind, if it's going to be the all-weather surface it's purported to be, will it then make it unneccessary to travel all the way to Ruakaka for a good winter surface?

Just wondering.

Ellerslie has no interest in running jumps racing.

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Plus "The Hill" won't be there anymore, even if the new track surface was suitable to jumps racing. A big shame. 

Oh well, at least we've still got the spectacular Paeroa steeplechase course. Oh, that's right, that one has gone too. 

Te Aroha should be the place for "The Northerns" I think, once refurbished, although the steeplechase was a good watch at Te Rapa. 

Riccarton, Jumbo and cutts  are not the fences they were. Both used to be formidable jumps, but not now. Cutts had a slight dip on landing too. Iwas worried as a kid having to go over cutts in schooling a jumper.

20 hours ago, gubellini said:

Leggy perhaps someone who has a race book from Te Rapa today can advise us who were on the Adjudicative Commitee today. Penalty seems excessive in my opinion.

Adjudicators:
Mr Adam Smith (Chair), G Jones

https://racingintegrityboard.org.nz/decisions/waikato-tr-17-september-2023-r7-shaun-fannin/

Seems a generous penalty decision to me given the circumstances and they obviously are not severe enough to stop the behaviour.

7 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The strathayr turf isn't suitable for jumping which is why the jumps were removed and the Ellerslie hill was sold. The company that is putting in the strathayr turf has told Auckland Thoroughbred Racing that it isn't suitable for jumping.  it's the same track that is at Moonee Valley.

37 minutes ago, MissJools said:

The strathayr turf isn't suitable for jumping which is why the jumps were removed and the Ellerslie hill was sold. The company that is putting in the strathayr turf has told Auckland Thoroughbred Racing that it isn't suitable for jumping.  it's the same track that is at Moonee Valley.

As you would point out if and when somebody effectively reposted something you had ready posted; that information was already mentioned ^^^^up there^^^^ although it was is smaller writing than yours :rcfe-laughing:

I see talk about Strathayr not being a jumps surface.   Moonee Valley continued to host jumps racing for 15 plus years after changing to Strathayr.  Finally moving the Hiskin in 2011'ish due to Victorian Racing changes in focus, nothing to do with the track ..   why now is the surface not considered suitable for jumps?   I have to admit... I'm not a fan of jumps races anymore, but I don't understand the logic of that statement.     

1 hour ago, mr_gee said:

talking to a lot of the  jumps people and racing   owners and trainers  , they don't like it i am one rather keep jump's for te  aroha 

I've been to a jumps only day at TA and it was a very enjoyable day.   I spent the day with Garrick.. G Unit to some who may remember him on here.. and I agree.. it is a good venue :)