RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mike28

riccarton meeting

28 minutes ago, kdt said:

According to Tim Mills speaking on the radio this morning there was no water put on the track yesterday due to the high winds. To quote him "the water would have ended up in Hornby"

Then why didn't they get a couple of water tankers in and soak the track that way - like they do with road works?

And further north at Tauranga.. 

Before the first race it was listed as Showery and Heavy 10, so I put ALL my bets on not expecting it to improve...But since then its changed to:

Race  2 - Heavy 9

Race 3 - Heavy 8

Race 4 - Heavy 8

Race 5 - Soft 7

So have to wonder what its going to end up like by the end of the day..

3 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

And further north at Tauranga.. 

Before the first race it was listed as Showery and Heavy 10, so I put ALL my bets on not expecting it to improve...But since then its changed to:

Race  2 - Heavy 9

Race 3 - Heavy 8

Race 4 - Heavy 8

Race 5 - Soft 7

So have to wonder what its going to end up like by the end of the day..

Lucky it's not a 12 race programme.

-2 Granite

58 minutes ago, kdt said:

According to Tim Mills speaking on the radio this morning there was no water put on the track yesterday due to the high winds. To quote him "the water would have ended up in Hornby"

I'm sure, in the interview I saw with Leith and Aiden,  inside the plastic 'tent' in the birdcage, there was water sprinkling on the outside.  I assumed that was done yesterday, but I could be wrong.

Suspended & Injured Riders
Updated at 10.30am Saturday 12 November

Suspended Riders:

** Sam Wynne | From the close of racing Wednesday 12 November to close of racing Wednesday 23 November **

Megan Taylor | From the close of racing Saturday 12 November to close of racing Wednesday 23 November

Akshay Balloo | From the close of racing Wednesday 16 November to close of racing Friday 25 November

Kavish Chowdhoory | From the close of racing Saturday 12 November to close of racing Thursday 24 November

Lily Sutherland | From the close of racing Saturday 19 November to close of racing Friday 02 December

Trevor Bau | From the close of racing Sunday 6 November to close of racing Tuesday 15 November

Faye Lazet | From the close of racing Friday 11 November to close of racing Friday 18 November

** Michael McNab | From the close of racing Saturday 12 November to close of racing Saturday 19 November **

9 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

I'm sure, in the interview I saw with Leith and Aiden,  inside the plastic 'tent' in the birdcage, there was water sprinkling on the outside.  I assumed that was done yesterday, but I could be wrong.

That's what I heard too, but watched a jock pull up the grass to look down underneath, did look at least 10 inches long, jeez when did it last get cut?

RACING.COM

“One of the biggest days on New Zealand's domestic racing calendar, New Zealand Cup Day at Riccarton, was abandoned after Race 3 on Saturday due to safety concerns following a horse slipping while free of interference rounding the home turn.

Harmonious, ridden by Lily Sutherland, clearly slipped on a lush patch of turf as she commenced her run into the race at the 400-metre mark.

A track examination by stipendiary stewards and a delegation of jockeys saw remedial work undertaken on the affected turf to try alleviate the issue of the excess moisture trapped near the track surface.

Despite extensive efforts, the situation did not improve and the decision was taken to abandon the meeting.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing advised later on Saturday that the remining nine races on the card, including the Group 1 New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m), G3 New Zealand Cup (3200m) and G3 Stewards Stakes (1200m) will be race at the venue on Monday.

Leading rider Lisa Allpress was present during the track inspection and admitted she was bitterly disappointed to see racing abandoned but felt there was no other alternative available to officials.”

"On the firm surface underneath, the fact that the grass is quite long and with a little bit of rain overnight, it just hasn't dried underneath which means that there is an area of the track that is unsafe," she said.

"There is more than just the one slip mark and there are quite a few out there.

"We really tried (to save the meeting) and with daylight saving hours available, we might have been able to put the meeting back, but with the length of the grass and the amount of moisture in it, it just isn't going to dry out.

"Jockey and horse safety is paramount, but this isn't a decision made lightly and it is just devastating for everybody."

MEETING NEWS

Riccarton and Awapuni Abandonments – Message from Bruce Sharrock

Following the abandonment of todays meeting at Riccarton and Awapuni yesterday NZTR will be seeking answers to the following as soon as possible.

1. NZTR has requested a comprehensive report from the Canterbury Jockey Club following todays abandonment.
  2. NZTR has requested a comprehensive report from RACE Inc following the abandonment yesterday.
  3. NZTR has called an urgent meeting tomorrow with our major clubs to discuss current track preparation protocols and any information that may mitigate the current situation.
  4. NZTR will be holding an urgent meeting, Monday, with all Regional Track Advisors to also gain feedback and further examine issues that appear to be presenting with greater frequency.

We will update all relevant information as soon as possible.

16 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

MEETING NEWS

Following the abandonment of todays meeting at Riccarton and Awapuni yesterday NZTR will be seeking answers to the following as soon as possible.

1. NZTR has requested a comprehensive report from the Canterbury Jockey Club following todays abandonment.
  2. NZTR has requested a comprehensive report from RACE Inc following the abandonment yesterday.
  3. NZTR has called an urgent meeting tomorrow with our major clubs to discuss current track preparation protocols and any information that may mitigate the current situation.
  4. NZTR will be holding an urgent meeting, Monday, with all Regional Track Advisors to also gain feedback and further examine issues that appear to be presenting with greater frequency.

AGAIN? 

How many times have they done that now?

Green for the colour of the very long water logged grass!

It comes back to the clubs Track Manager. Get a good one and they will build a good race track.

Example 1 -  Waikato track is stuffed and the club gets Bart Cowan back from Adelaide. In less than 2 years he has built a good track. (Except for the kick courtesy of prior treatment).

Example 2 - Counties track would fall to bits after a good shower. ATR sent Jason Fulford down there to straighten it out. And it seems he has, Its racing very well, even after 68mm rain before Nov 1 meet. Treated well nature is forgiving.

Accountability - The constitution of NZTR needs updating. There needs to be increased representation from the Sector Groups Owners, Trainers, Jockeys and you may want to add Breeders to that. They bloody know it but are dragging the chain.

The current situation is similar to cheating. The miscreants are marking their own exam.

56 minutes ago, arjay said:

That's what I heard too, but watched a jock pull up the grass to look down underneath, did look at least 10 inches long, jeez when did it last get cut?

Yes. I saw that too. She grabbed a handful of grass and it fell over the back of her hand back to the ground so must be at least 150-200mms. How could that happen?

47 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

MEETING NEWS

Interesting that they don't ask for any input for industry participants from outside the circle that may have something useful to share that improves the current situation .

Part of the problem is they keep going round the same table , asking the same questions , of the same people that have all had too much to say and we are still in the same position .

Under Suspended Riders::

Michael McNab | From the close of racing Saturday 12 November to close of racing Saturday 19 November.

As he has confirmed rides for Riccarton (now Monday) I wonder whether he'll be able to ride or not..?

(same applies for a couple of other riders too).

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

I thought it was probably one of the boozed up young lads on track couldn't be bothered to make it to the gents 

Ponderosa8 Tauranga have a great drainage system. It rained all day on Friday. With the wind and sun today it started to dry out. Full credit to Course Manager Craig Settle and Clive Bennett his assistant. Craig comes from a farming and racing background. Clive once trained in partnership with Bill Winder and also trained Arbre Chene following the death of Peter Cathro. They presented a great track today and unlike Riccarton it had been mown evenly from the inside to the outside rail.

5 hours ago, redrew2000 said:

Just close NZ racing down. What a fucking joke it is. Getting worse every week.

An embarrassment for everybody concerned. It has happened before ,on other tracks, and it will happen again.

No wonder the industry is  in a bad state. No jockeys and no owners and the ranks of reputable trainers are thin.