RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
biff

Take A Bow Trudy

I see the horse who caused the problem (to my eye) finished 4th and still held its spot.  Can you just flatten your opponents these days without threat of relegation / disqualification?

If it had happened in the home straight it'd be goooorne.  Should be the same early in the race.

And I agree, great horsemanship (or horsewomanship?).  

But surely the race should have been called to a halt.  There needs to be a better system / safety measures in place than hoping the jockeys hear the commentator.  The siren system seems to work well in Harness racing albeit generally racing on smaller tracks.  Today could have had a far worse outcome and the fact it didn't was good luck more than good management.

Never underestimate the vision of experienced jockeys, they are very sensory acute and have a " feel " for everything going on around them, and they have to be because often their lives depend on it.

They'd have noticed the situation developing after the post a long way out, and if you watch Trudy she's working out her options and the various scenarios about 100m out, once she knows she can't win ( love the way the little bastards put winning first then saving their arse second ).

The poor kid who rode the horse that caused the problem, Jasmine Fawcett ? I thought she just froze and didn't have the inherent strength to drag Baboonski around the corner. I don't like to criticize these young kids because they are often fragile and can't cope with criticism, but you'd have to note that we've seen a bit of this sort of thing lately and it must be worrying the senior jocks when they don't know what these kids are going to do, and thus can't follow them or trust them to ride in what might be described as conventional fashion. 

5 minutes ago, DWJR said:

I never heard a commentator when riding,just impossible with all the noise going on in a race and sometimes i had selective hearing when a fellow rider would call out.

SNR

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

There is no way Baboonski should have been able to hold its placing. Earned money by eliminating another horse. At the trots, it would have been placed behind Kelly's horse, ie last

Yeah but it's not the trots so the same rules do not apply.

2 hours ago, Midget said:

I never heard a commentator when riding,just impossible with all the noise going on in a race and sometimes i had selective hearing when a fellow rider would call out.

SNR

Yeah but you rode when there were thousands on course, all screaming for their horse.

These days at a midweek meeting there are only the strappers and a quarter of the trainers and a few pensioners with hearing aids. 

Most of the owners are at work trying to make the money to pay for the extra costs of getting their horse to Ruakaka. 

For God's sake the winning stake of the 7K races wont go very far, and that's for the winners. 

Of course they all heard him including the pensioners!

Please read the stewards report on this race i know theres health and safety to consider but to have ago at the starter and club officials is crap or am i wrong and they wont decide on the young apprentice as Kelly wasnt there to give her side of things FFS she possibly may not remember 

Guest 2Admin2

Stewards Report:

ACEDECEE (K McCulloch) was crowded between BABOONSKI and LORD WESTBURY passing the 1700 metres clipping a heel and dislodging its rider. K McCulloch was knocked unconscious and was unable to be moved from the track before the field finished the race with runners being directed around the fallen rider. EL FORTUNA was steadied over the concluding stages when in third position after becoming aware of the fallen rider ahead. Stewards were satisfied that this had no bearing on the result of the race. K McCulloch was attended to by St John personnel before being transferred to Whangarei Hospital for further evaluation and observation. Riders T Thornton, B Hutton and apprentice J Fawcett were all interviewed regarding this incident. Due to the unavailability of Mrs McCulloch the matter was adjourned. Stewards spoke to the Club representative as to the number of people who gained access to the racetrack during this incident, also speaking with the Starter, the Assistant Starter and the Course Manager as to the positions they had placed themselves at close proximity to the winning post. The Starter and Assistant Starter were both reminded that under the protocols for this type of incident in a distance race they are to remain at the start until the conclusion of the race.

14 minutes ago, Midget said:

Not sure why anyone is blaming Lord Westbury and Brendan Hutton, seems to me he merely held his line and all the pressure came from Baboonski.

exactly - now like Midgets and Mr Dickson, Mrs vS has ridden plenty of trackwork and commented that Baboonski's rider never moved her head or arms just kept on going wherever the horse was taking her.