Insider

I've been thinking....

With the imminent demise of Newshub, there is going to be up to 200 very talented people with "media skills" come on the market, between now and June.

Entain/TAB, NZTR and the Harness people should be putting the feelers out now, for anyone who might have an interest in our Industry.

My guess is that many of them would have an immense amount to offer, if you simply took a line through what Guy Hevelt brought to the Karaka Sales/Karaka race-night presentation.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Samantha Hayes fronting Trackside.

Don't laugh, maybe not Sam, but there are surely dozens of quality people waiting in the wings with nowhere to go.

Liz

Nah you would be asking for trouble these people are indoctrinated with treaty mania , NOT AS BAD as TV1 but still likely to bring turn off habits with them , that's one of the main reasons many don't watch the news today and advertising revenue has plummeted for both of them, same reason  . TV1 get away with it because they are publicly funded , the racing industry might suffer the same remote control  fate as TV3 if they were to employ some of these people .

Just now, tripple alliance said:

Nah you would be asking for trouble these people are indoctrinated with treaty mania , NOT AS BAD as TV1 but still likely to bring turn off habits with them , that's one of the main reasons many don't watch the news today and advertising revenue has plummeted for both of them, same reason  . TV1 get away with it because they are publicly funded , the racing industry might suffer the same remote control  fate as TV3 if they were to employ some of these people .

Take your crap elsewhere .

1 minute ago, tripple alliance said:

Really?

I cant believe what I have just read.

55 minutes ago, nomates said:

What do you use to dissolve the super glue that is stuck to the arses of the incumbents ? and can we get it in bulk because there is plenty to shift ?

I've got a suggestion 😁

https://www.google.com/search?q=jackass+exploding+seat&rlz=1C1RXMK_enNZ1047NZ1047&oq=jackass+exploding+seat&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTE0MzkzajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&ip=1&vld=cid:9ed539d1,vid:MJ-bJDXons0,st:0

1 hour ago, Insider said:

With the imminent demise of Newshub, there is going to be up to 200 very talented people with "media skills" come on the market, between now and June.

Entain/TAB, NZTR and the Harness people should be putting the feelers out now, for anyone who might have an interest in our Industry.

My guess is that many of them would have an immense amount to offer, if you simply took a line through what Guy Hevelt brought to the Karaka Sales/Karaka race-night presentation.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Samantha Hayes fronting Trackside.

Don't laugh, maybe not Sam, but there are surely dozens of quality people waiting in the wings with nowhere to go.

Liz

I think you are right Lizmeister!   As a first take on this,  I would applaud many of them going it alone, being independent journalists that sell their stories to NZ and global channels, they just need themselves and a camera man and sound and they're away, because of their professional credibility globally (Mike Roberts did a lot of reporting in the Middle East)   I think they could make a go of it because people would talk to them, they know them.     Mike might be more in line with racing as he is a sports buff (he reminds me of Philip Leishman :) )  so may have the background, but I believe there is a real opportunity here for Racing and they need to snap them up, even if locking them in for independent research projects and presentation.

14 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

That's not why TV news advertising revenue has plummeted so silly old man. It's not just a New Zealand phenomenon. 

Liz; I believe the number is likely to be over 300 losing their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

That's not why TV news advertising revenue has plummeted so silly old man. It's not just a New Zealand phenomenon. 

Liz; I believe the number is likely to be over 300 losing their jobs. 

What is chosen to present and how  is partly to blame , I know a group of people who have written to big company's advising them they no longer watch TV1 and their reasons why perhaps they have had some success with the letter writing and created Advertiser fear on more fronts , this can't have helped . Sky TV offers plenty of options, I  watch Andrew Bolt 9pm SKY ch 85, Monday/Thursday , a great show  . Now this is about hiring ex TV 3 presenters for racing purposes Mike McRoberts , a good presenter has been mentioned 58/59 years old he's no to far behind T Lee .

Life as we know it is moving on (called change) rapidly due to the evolution of technology.

We all used to gather (like an appointment) at 6.00pm to watch the TV News as our daily  primary source of keeping up to date with affairs of the world. Now, news dribbles in all through the day or we can can set a time that suits us to watch recorded news releases, podcasts, youtube, twitter etc on laptops, phones, smart TV's or Ipads. The massive reduction in eyeballs on the traditional TV news and the consequent reduction in advertising revenue which is the lifeblood for their existence, has drifted over to the new platforms as it should.

The very simple but lethal explanation. The ideological stuff (no pun about the woke private media company intended) being discussed here is a total red herring imho.

The staff from Newshub will just have to do what many of us have had to do, some more than once, and that is to recreate themselves to find a place in the new world. We did not have a public forum or profile to moan about it for a couple of months, we just got on with it.

To the original point, if any of the Newshub crew that get laid off have something to offer the racing game, it is an avenue they could pursue - certainly seems a good idea. What we all suspect is that those doing racing's talent selection would not know a good get if it bit them in the arse.

7 hours ago, Littletramp said:

Life as we know it is moving on (called change) rapidly due to the evolution of technology.

We all used to gather (like an appointment) at 6.00pm to watch the TV News as our daily  primary source of keeping up to date with affairs of the world. Now, news dribbles in all through the day or we can can set a time that suits us to watch recorded news releases, podcasts, youtube, twitter etc on laptops, phones, smart TV's or Ipads. The massive reduction in eyeballs on the traditional TV news and the consequent reduction in advertising revenue which is the lifeblood for their existence, has drifted over to the new platforms as it should.

The very simple but lethal explanation. The ideological stuff (no pun about the woke private media company intended) being discussed here is a total red herring imho.

The staff from Newshub will just have to do what many of us have had to do, some more than once, and that is to recreate themselves to find a place in the new world. We did not have a public forum or profile to moan about it for a couple of months, we just got on with it.

To the original point, if any of the Newshub crew that get laid off have something to offer the racing game, it is an avenue they could pursue - certainly seems a good idea. What we all suspect is that those doing racing's talent selection would not know a good get if it bit them in the arse.

And the daily newspaper is history, unlikely news print newspapers will exist in a few years, gone in our modern society

I can tell you Ollie Ritchie and Alex Chapman are mad keen punters and racing enthusiasts.

I'd employ them in a heartbeat.

Not so much their "head of sports" Andrew Gourdie.

Those 2 young guys really are the young guns Trackside and Entain need right now. 

McRoberts , don't even go there , nice enough guy but not a racing man , Sam Hayes utter professional and that laugh of hers ! She'd get by but the 2 young guys are the key !

They call themselves Journalists but are only mouthpieces. The News is moderated by a small group in NZ answering to a larger international entity.  You need to be talented AND have a passion for racing, not see it as something that reduces a Families ability to feed and clothe their Children.

15 hours ago, Gruff said:

They call themselves Journalists but are only mouthpieces. The News is moderated by a small group in NZ answering to a larger international entity.  You need to be talented AND have a passion for racing, not see it as something that reduces a Families ability to feed and clothe their Children.

Stepping a little sideways Gruff, instead of crying about losing their jobs, why don't some of the well paid mouthpieces buy the company from WB and carry on themselves? Or do they not have any confidence in their own business acumen.

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Stepping a little sideways Gruff, instead of crying about losing their jobs, why don't some of the well paid mouthpieces buy the company from WB and carry on themselves? Or do they not have any confidence in their own business acumen.

Three things;

1/ whose crying? I'm sure they're all upset, as would most people be, but you seem a bigger crybaby than any of those you're referring to.

2/ they unlikely to each have a spare 10's on millions of dollars each lying around. Do you?

3/ they're not employed for their 'business acumen'. Not everybody has it. Do you?

Any other clown suggestions? 

I've been thinking, was a quote or a book  from a former politician, rings a bell somewhere, with the demise of news hub and tv1 one big losses, maybe be all staff including news readers presenters ect , more than likely be on huge salaries, can take a big pay cut, after all the ole tax payer be propping them up, one presenter on 7 sharp be plenty I reckon,