RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
KellyAnne

NZTR Roadshows

I’m new to this forum but wonder how many participants on here go to the Roadshows NZTR runs sporadically?

It seems to me as an owner/breeder who holds down a job to support my racing interests that the timing and locations are geared purely for those who work in the industry. I understand that it’s important to get their views/feedback but what about city dwelling owners/breeders/punters? How do we have our say?

Just curious as I see that Mr Sharrock says in Raceform that it is most important that they get feedback from their stakeholders. So if I work in Auckland city I need to get to Karaka at 11.30am on a Tuesday,  Hamilton I’m a little better off if I can finish early for a 4.30 meeting at Te Rapa. Otherwise there are midday meetings at New Plymouth or Palmerston North; and midday meetings at Christchurch, Wingatui or Invercargill.

While lunchtime meetings might work for those who aren’t on the clock, build in transport times and it’s going to need a sympathetic boss!

Why not a few evening meetings in metropolitan areas to accommodate the workers? 

I won’t even comment on the absence of a Wellington meeting. Obviously there are no stakeholders left in the capital given NZTR’s plan to bail.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:18 PM, KellyAnne said:

I’m new to this forum but wonder how many participants on here go to the Roadshows NZTR runs sporadically?

It seems to me as an owner/breeder who holds down a job to support my racing interests that the timing and locations are geared purely for those who work in the industry. I understand that it’s important to get their views/feedback but what about city dwelling owners/breeders/punters? How do we have our say?

Just curious as I see that Mr Sharrock says in Raceform that it is most important that they get feedback from their stakeholders. So if I work in Auckland city I need to get to Karaka at 11.30am on a Tuesday,  Hamilton I’m a little better off if I can finish early for a 4.30 meeting at Te Rapa. Otherwise there are midday meetings at New Plymouth or Palmerston North; and midday meetings at Christchurch, Wingatui or Invercargill.

While lunchtime meetings might work for those who aren’t on the clock, build in transport times and it’s going to need a sympathetic boss!

Why not a few evening meetings in metropolitan areas to accommodate the workers? 

I won’t even comment on the absence of a Wellington meeting. Obviously there are no stakeholders left in the capital given NZTR’s plan to bail.

Welcome KellyAnne to Race Cafe. I am sure that you are going to be a great contributor. 
What you have just said regarding the meetings makes complete sense. 
I live in Wellington and would love to attend for an update and “debate” on what the real truth is, but no. Instead I have to travel to Palmerston North and waste a day, which I won’t be doing. 
Owners (and punters, although owners are the biggest punters) are what keeps racing going. No one else. Everyone else is simply there to get a suck of the Sav on the way through, but I digress. 
Why isn’t there a meeting in Wellington where many of the most successful owners  (on a percentage basis) are domiciled? 

Liz

I agree with both of you and suggest you reach out to Sharrock and ask him why this is. To me it seems he asks for input but does not really want it on the other hand. The more the stakeholders can stand up and make noise the better as the way they are doing it at present is going to lead to a disaster, nothing other than that. Some say all doom and gloom, no I am a realist and I can see the writing on the wall.

I [ personally] think the roadshows are an expensive waste of time.

I have found Bruce Sharrock to be very responsive to individual approaches and does his best, I feel, to communicate.   However, in this age of digital communication - and considering we are supposed to be dreadfully short of money - why on earth waste the stuff by flying a group of people all over the country?

Especially, as pointed out above, the timing of such doesn't lend itself to participation by all.

I think the road shows are the wrong way round.

Why not have a widespread local fact finding meeting then have the delegates fly to Petone for a two day thrash out meeting.

That way widespread input achieved and full exchange at the Petone meeting.

As Liz says, with what we have some 30% ignored.

Basic business practice is what I suggest, really is in the 101 drawer.

I might be wrong, having never attended one, but I get the impression the road shows are along the lines of 'Right, this is what we are going to be doing." rather than 'We have come here to seek ideas and feedback from those intimately involved in the industry."

On 2/3/2023 at 3:51 AM, scooby3051 said:

I agree with both of you and suggest you reach out to Sharrock and ask him why this is. To me it seems he asks for input but does not really want it on the other hand. The more the stakeholders can stand up and make noise the better as the way they are doing it at present is going to lead to a disaster, nothing other than that. Some say all doom and gloom, no I am a realist and I can see the writing on the wall.

Hi Scooby,

I have taken your suggestion and done it via Amy Carter who is the name at the bottom of the Press Release on the Road Shows for contact purposes. 

Let's see what happens.

Here is what I wrote:

P.S. The cutting and pasting of everyone's comments from the Thread worked successfully so that should stop him from thinking that I am a stupid old lone wolf!

Hi Amy,

Please take my question to Bruce Sharrock [which follows] and ask him to give me a written response so that I am informed and I can inform others.

Why is there not a meeting in Wellington?

I have cut and pasted below, comments by various participants all wanting to know, so Bruce's response will be much appreciated.

I know that there has never been a "Road Show Meeting" held in Wellington, but there is an old saying: "If you keep doing the the same things, you will get the same results" 

As an industry we need to start doing things differently, with hopefully a much better outcome than is currently being achieved.

As an indication of what is happening, do you both realise that the domestic spend by New Zealanders at Karaka this week was down by 10 Million Dollars? That gives you an indication of owners confidence and their investing for the immediate future.

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Hi Scooby,

I have taken your suggestion and done it via Amy Carter who is the name at the bottom of the Press Release on the Road Shows for contact purposes. 

Let's see what happens.

Here is what I wrote:

P.S. The cutting and pasting of everyone's comments from the Thread worked successfully so that should stop him from thinking that I am a stupid old lone wolf!

Hi Amy,

Please take my question to Bruce Sharrock [which follows] and ask him to give me a written response so that I am informed and I can inform others.

Why is there not a meeting in Wellington?

I have cut and pasted below, comments by various participants all wanting to know, so Bruce's response will be much appreciated.

I know that there has never been a "Road Show Meeting" held in Wellington, but there is an old saying: "If you keep doing the the same things, you will get the same results" 

As an industry we need to start doing things differently, with hopefully a much better outcome than is currently being achieved.

As an indication of what is happening, do you both realise that the domestic spend by New Zealanders at Karaka this week was down by 10 Million Dollars? That gives you an indication of owners confidence and their investing for the immediate future.

Yours faithfully

Good point about the domestic spend at Karaka. I had a very quick look at results and I think 6 or 7 horses went to the SI. Which is hardly surprising I suppose as the SI doesn't have 2yo racing. Perhaps when you strike up a rapport with Bruce you could ask him why they don't have 2yo races in the SI. Chicken and Egg I suppose will be the answer. 

i'd say these roadshows are necessary.

The situation - with the covid lockdowns came the sugar hit of increased gambling. It was a world wide phenomena.

Now we have inflation and looming recession. The TaB take has slumped as people prioritise their spending habits through maybe necessity.

TAB has reduced the payout to codes and say they are unsure they can continue the status quo disbursments to codes.

You will have noted the reduced NZ spend at the recent Karaka Sales, Forsman getting some boxes in OZ and other signals

Its imperative that NZTR try and bolster up the Owners, Trainers and Jockey. 

I think it will be a crystal ball and flannel exercise. I will go to one and take notes

20 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Tom ill take the 40%. Bullshit had a distinct smell

You probably have summed up in a few words the EverestNZ Racing has to climb.

Thank god my interests are across the Tasman.

Appreciate your honesty Neil and can but only agree with your sentiments, the local show is a disjointed mess

What frustrates me with the TAB is that while the turnover is down against budget the expenses are up against budget. That’s the one thing that they can control and they haven’t done it. (Quoted from their latest report released recently)

I sympathise with NZTR in where they find themselves, but what are they doing to rattle the TAB’s cage or is that not their job?

22 minutes ago, d.burrow said:

I sympathise with NZTR in where they find themselves, but what are they doing to rattle the TAB’s cage or is that not their job?

They certainly can and i'm sure some tough questions are being asked around the deficit for the next 6 months and what they are doing to ensure that kind of figure is not going to carry into the 23/24 season .

The TAB is supposed to be run for the benefit of NZ racing , currently and for the last few years they have been a law unto themselves . If a racing minister should do 1 thing it should be reaming out the TAB management for their excesses and high and mighty attitude to the bodies they are there to benefit . 

My opinion, the addition of imported jockeys has elevated the overall quality with their superior style, tactics, presentation and professionalism.

3 hours ago, d.burrow said:

What frustrates me with the TAB is that while the turnover is down against budget the expenses are up against budget. That’s the one thing that they can control and they haven’t done it. (Quoted from their latest report released recently)

The TAB has done well in marketing, but this increase has come with a cost. It remains to be seen if they can retain this new audience. 

Regarding the loveracing.nz website, i find that there are too many clicks required to access replays, making it less effective compared to international websites. The website is visually appealing, but with today's fast-paced world, time is of the essence. Slow video rendering and excessive clicks can be frustrating for users.

I also question why the roadshows are not broadcast online with live chat options. This could increase engagement and interaction.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, scooby3051 said:

Its being run for the benefit of themselves ...nothing more at present.

That comment is, sadly, so very very accurate.  And it is because of Scooby3051's observation that the future of N.Z. racing is in very dire straits.

NZTR have some minor faults, but the TAB's administration is abysmal.

55 minutes ago, Insider said:

UPDATE:

As of 5:00 PM tonight, two full business days since I sent my email, I have heard nothing.

Am I being ignored in the hope that I go will away or do you think that they have no idea about how to respond?

Sadly Liz, in these 'post Covid times', no response and late response are fairly par for the course so it's probably not special treatment you are receiving.

I'm amazed at the extent that business and social standards have declined 😒 

16 minutes ago, Alf Riston said:

Sadly Liz, in these 'post Covid times', no response and late response are fairly par for the course so it's probably not special treatment you are receiving.

I'm amazed at the extent that business and social standards have declined 😒 

Sorry Alf, not in my world.

Maybe that is why I am successful and the "clowns" aren't.

5 minutes ago, Insider said:

Maybe that is why I am successful and the "clowns" aren't.

Spot on. Insider.

I have, happily, never had much occasion to interact with a TAB bigwig but email correpondence with 'underlings' at the TAB Help Desk invariably produces 'Ta for your mail. We'll be back in touch shortly' responses. That are, as promised, promptly acted on.

Maybe the bigwigs need to go on a 'How to respond to queries in this technological age' course rather than engaging in largely-pointless excuses like Road Shows that, let me guess, entail mucho travelling at the front ends of jets and stopovers at sixteen-star hotel rooms.

Travelling talkfests seem designed largely so that the 'Have you interacted with your clients?' Key Performance Indicator box can be given a big tick.