RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ponderosa8

Opinion - What is a Niller.?

The word Niller gets mentioned on here quite a bit so I’m wondering what constitutes a Niller and at what stage do you graduate from being a Niller to have “done something” in the game.

As a breeder, how many winners do you need to have bred and how many of them Group or Listed races.?

As an Owner, how many winners do you need to have had, how much % ownership in each of those horses and how many of those Group or Listed races won.?

As a Trainer, how many winners do you need to have trained and how many of those need to be Group or Listed races.?

As a jockey, how many winners do you need to have ridden and how many of them Group and Listed races.?

I think you get the drift….

So… I raced a horse that won 14 Group One races.

The horse was called Melody Belle. I didn’t have any involvement in the breeding or purchase of her, I just joined up and paid my $$ and was very lucky.

So, am I a niller or have I done something in the game.?

DECLARATION: I did not have any ownership in Melody Belle whatsoever, and have absolutely no intention of trying to devalue anyone on here who did…I wish I could have been involved in her and enjoyed the many great experiences you would have had.

I also did not race 50 horses. I had ownership in 3 horses, 2 of which made it to the races and I had the excitement of winning a maiden race at Tauranga in 2011. I proudly have hanging in my little office at home a photo of that alongside a very old photo of a horse owned and bred by my grandfather and ridden by my father…. as well a print by Alister Simpson of the Bonecrusher-Waverley Star duel from 1986…

So I’m proud to be called a niller if that’s what I am…

Niller signing in. 

Part owner of one harness horse that was injured and never made it to the races........and then my circumstances (read earnings) changed. Average guy who worked much of his life in an average job and on average wages. Okay, maybe the job and the wages were a little above average, but certainly not above by enough to go racing horses whilst producing 5 children, paying a mortgage, paying for a divorce etc etc etc. 

Used to enjoy the atmosphere at the track and was a regular attendee at Alexandra Park, Ellerslie & Pukekohe, & occasional visitor to Te Rapa and Hastings. Can't remember now the last time I went to the track. I've changed, but so too has the experience of going to the races. Neither has changed for the better, ha!!!

Now only watch the bigger meetings, both codes and from both sides of the Tasman, and have the occasional flutter. Not a successful punter either, so NILLER on every front. 

Great question Paul (Ponderosa).

I'm a niller and proud of it, but I reckon you're selling yourself short. Closely related to one of the country's better jockeys of the past - I don't think you'd meet the niller standard set by the site's primary "niller" adjudicator.  In fact you're probably entitled to share your opinions in the same threads as the high flyers.

What are your thoughts on the Champion Stakes?

3 hours ago, Idolmite said:

Niller signing in. 

Part owner of one harness horse that was injured and never made it to the races........and then my circumstances (read earnings) changed. Average guy who worked much of his life in an average job and on average wages. Okay, maybe the job and the wages were a little above average, but certainly not above by enough to go racing horses whilst producing 5 children, paying a mortgage, paying for a divorce etc etc etc. 

Used to enjoy the atmosphere at the track and was a regular attendee at Alexandra Park, Ellerslie & Pukekohe, & occasional visitor to Te Rapa and Hastings. Can't remember now the last time I went to the track. I've changed, but so too has the experience of going to the races. Neither has changed for the better, ha!!!

Now only watch the bigger meetings, both codes and from both sides of the Tasman, and have the occasional flutter. Not a successful punter either, so NILLER on every front. 

How do ya get on paying for a divorce,,, relationships are fine, until it turns sour.

Spose I should add, my interest in racing is watching ,betting reading about etc etc, I too as I've got older though the interest has waned, watch trackside, ( now and then). used to love the buzz of race days but don't go now, most meetings have no atmosphere anyway

Can you be a negative niller?

I think I qualify. I've had small part shares in some pretty average horses over the years and have also been running a racing chat site for a couple of years.

That's surely got to be in negative territory compared to the exalted heights some of the noters have reached.

Stupid word - stupid concept.

56 minutes ago, Memphis3 said:

Semi niller reporting. No training not a jockey gunna have a dig at breeding soon. 
30% in a multiple group 2 winner and multiple seconds in Group ones. No cigar tho. Maybe semi niller is a bit lofty. Maybe a disputable by others niller. I actually like the ring to it 😁

Won't need jockeys if you do any breeding..