Breeder

Verry Elleegant off to France

Recommended Posts

It's a pity they didn't think to send her to a UK stable - the Gosdens might have been ideal.

If the plan is the Arc, which I understand, what's the campaign look like? The fillies' Arc Trial in France is the Vermeille three weeks before but why not bring her to England for the September Stakes over the Kempton Polytrack? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the ANZ Bloodstock News' article this morning

"Verry Elleegant was not among the entries for the Arc, released on Wednesday, and would need to be supplemented for €120,000 (approx. AU$182,000)."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or is this a bad idea...what more can she do really...Chris made her the horse she is and when she clearly seems on her last campaign to be past her best..why take her off there guy who knows her inside and out to ask her to start all over again with someone new...I feel sorry for Chris I guess loyalty is not a big thing to the ownership group...I could never do that to someone who had done such a fantastic job...I wish the mare well but it just seems a strange decision to me...lets see how it all goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the owners have dreamed of winning an overseas race? We all know Chris Waller doesn't want to travel with his horses, so they have taken their chance of international success.

Good on them. Not a lot to lose, except money....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NextPlease said:

Perhaps the owners have dreamed of winning an overseas race? We all know Chris Waller doesn't want to travel with his horses, so they have taken their chance of international success.

Good on them. Not a lot to lose, except money....

From what I am reading elsewhere some of the owners never even got consulted...which is poor form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some massive egos in the ownership group. Maybe a season past her best but who knows. Waller I suppose. 

He never took Winx off shore so couldn’t see him taking this horse either. 

Good luck to her for her sake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Original owners to sell Elleegant share

The breeder and original owners of Verry Elleegant are to sell their 20 per cent share in the champion mare following confirmation she is to be transferred to France to be prepared for a European campaign.

“We’re not happy and we will be looking to sell out of the mare unfortunately,” co-owner Nick Bishara said on Friday morning.

“The Ellee syndicate was never in favour of going to Europe, basically on the back of what Chris (Waller) felt - that she’s probably got one more prep in her and to go half way around the world might be a risk if she doesn’t come up.

“The 80 per cent of the syndicate wanted to go but the 20 per cent (Ellee) of the syndicate didn’t want to go.

“Don (Goodwin) bred her and we originally had her. We wanted to put the horse first. Chris Waller is a Hall Of Fame trainer and we were happy to go with what he thought.” 

Waller confirmed on Thursday night that Verry Elleegant would be transferred to French trainer Francis-Henri Graffard for her northern hemisphere campaign, which could take in races in France and England over September, October and November.

Bishara said the 20 per cent of the mare owned by the Ellee syndicate would be offered first to the current owners of Verry Elleegant.

Bishara said he and Goodwin had always considered such a trip a major risk.

“She’s not a great traveller,” he said. “Even from Sydney to Melbourne she’s not fantastic so we just think the risk is too much.

“We are disappointed but also grateful for such a wonderful ride with a lot of people associated with her and of course, the Waller team who have done a fantastic job.

“Chris always puts his horses first and we’ve always been guided by him and I would have left everything in his hands but that’s not the way it’s turned out.”

Bishara said that while it would be sad to farewell the 11-time group 1 winner, he still had plenty to look forward to with other close members of the Verry Elleegant family.

“We’re pretty much in a lucky position,” he said. “My mate and I own Verry Elleegant’s half-sister Black Lace (by Towkay).

“She’s had a foal last spring to Zed so we have a three-quarter in blood sister to Verry Elleegant sitting on the ground at Arrowfield (Stud), and she’s currently in foal to Dundeel.

“So ultimately there is not a lot of down-side for us. If she goes to Europe and performs, terrific but if not, we have a nice chunk of the family to go ahead with.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NextPlease said:

When do we start questioning Waller's desire to win international races? He clearly doesn't want to, and the money in Australia is too good to pass up, but surely he wants a notable international win on his record?

Nature Strip and Home Affairs are heading to Royal Ascot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

Any good Australasian horse travelling to the Northern Hemisphere to compete is exciting, although not without risk.

I'd get up in the middle of the night to watch her races.

So will I, but!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stodge said:

....... but why not bring her to England for the September Stakes over the Kempton Polytrack? 

Surely you are not for real?

I know that ENABLE ran on the synthetic for a Black Type win but why on earth would you cart a mare, past her prime, half around the world to run on a Polytrack?

The risk to her physically, mentally and to her mana is incomprehensible. 

Liz 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Insider said:

Surely you are not for real?

I know that ENABLE ran on the synthetic for a Black Type win but why on earth would you cart a mare, past her prime, half around the world to run on a Polytrack?

The risk to her physically, mentally and to her mana is incomprehensible. 

Liz 
 

The idea would be to use the September as a prep run for the Arc - as you say, it was good enough for ENABLE.

Do you take her straight to the Arc, probably on heavy turf, without a run? I'm sure that'll help her mana.

The alternative prep options for the older mare aren't obvious - the Vermeille is a Group 1 over 2400m for fillies and mares (3-y-o and upwards). It's usually a strong race in its own right. Fillies aren't I think allowed in the Foy which is the Group 2 for the older colts.  There's a race called the Prince D'Orange at Longchamp a couple of weeks before the Arc over 2100m but that's usually too close. 

If you take the Ranvet and Queen Elizabeth form from last spring literally, she'd be around 119/120 in Europe so Group 1 category. 

By the way, I am "for real" and I hope she runs and acquits herself well as a good advertisement for NZ racing across the world . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NextPlease said:

Isn't that race worth about $110,000? You can't be serious Stodge...

It's a prep race - if you just want to stay in the shallow water for the money, fine.

The best distance horses are up north - in Japan and Europe. As for the sprinters, we'll see how the Aussie pair go at Ascot - I think they'll be very competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stodge said:

It's a prep race - if you just want to stay in the shallow water for the money, fine.

The best distance horses are up north - in Japan and Europe. As for the sprinters, we'll see how the Aussie pair go at Ascot - I think they'll be very competitive.

My five cents worth

It’s a bit sad to see VE going under these circumstances, she can’t really gain anything much here,  the downside is enormous for her reputation, and well-being, and based on her last campaign here she’s no longer competitive at the elite level.

It’s the owners prerogative though, they’ve got the gold so they make the rules, but they probably should’ve gone 18 months ago if they really wanted to win an Arc 

Her finest hour was undoubtedly the Melbourne Cup and she’s been on the slide since 

Re the two sprinters, Nature Strip will trot up in the Kings Stand, he’s a classic Ascot uphill powerful actioned type  and will also be very competitive if he backs up in the Jubilee 

Home Affairs is top class too but he hasn’t yet handled the old horses ( am I right there ? ) so it’s harder to label him a good thing, but you know he’ll be set for it given it’ll double his stallion value

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

My five cents worth

It’s a bit sad to see VE going under these circumstances, she can’t really gain anything much here,  the downside is enormous for her reputation, and well-being, and based on her last campaign here she’s no longer competitive at the elite level.

It’s the owners prerogative though, they’ve got the gold so they make the rules, but they probably should’ve gone 18 months ago if they really wanted to win an Arc 

Her finest hour was undoubtedly the Melbourne Cup and she’s been on the slide since 

Re the two sprinters, Nature Strip will trot up in the Kings Stand, he’s a classic Ascot uphill powerful actioned type  and will also be very competitive if he backs up in the Jubilee 

Home Affairs is top class too but he hasn’t yet handled the old horses ( am I right there ? ) so it’s harder to label him a good thing, but you know he’ll be set for it given it’ll double his stallion value

 

More like two cents worth

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Her finest hour was undoubtedly the Melbourne Cup and she’s been on the slide since

I'm not convinced. She won the Chipping Norton well. The Queen Elizabeth was a write off for most horses with the track, look how many top ones performed below their best. The Ranvet was the one race that could possibly be classed as a disappointment, but VE is a horse than can put in the odd below par effort, look at the Turnbull last year. She doesn't love 2000m, once she gets to 2400m+ she's in her zone. I think a decent spell and she could have come back and run well in the Spring, if she was weighted out of the Cup the Hong Kong Vase, Japan Cup etc could be options if they wanted to travel. I'm not sure a new trainer, jockey, country etc at this point in her career is the best idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NextPlease said:

Do you not think the Melbourne Cup flattened her? As it does, along with the Derby, for many middle-distance horses?

I largely agree with you

She hasn’t been the same horse since that amazing effort 
That said I think it’s important that we acknowledge the owner’s rights to do what they wish with their great mare ….and it appears Brae Sokolski is fulfilling his dream ….nothing wrong with dreaming if you’re in the racing game ….about 500 buyers do it every year at Karaka 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.