Nicky47

Opie Departing

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

How do you reconcile that statement with the fact that Grand Archway won the SA Oaks in 1999. Whilst OPB won the Grp2 St George Stakes on the horse Shane Dye road it to win the SAOaks. Hardly 12 years ago or has Maths 101 completely deserted you :rcf-sad-12:

 

Greg

Pretty sure Opie won the VRC Oaks on her around about the 5 /11/ 1999. She ran 2nd in SA Oaks with RS Dye, to Episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Pretty sure Opie won the VRC Oaks on her around about the 5 /11/ 1999. She ran 2nd in SA Oaks with RS Dye, to Episode.

Her results were as follows
 
x
Morphettville R6 12/05/1999 - South Australian Oaks (GRP1)
2500m $200K R S Dye (6) 1-EPISODE (D Oliver, 2) 55 , 3-RASS BRIGHTIA (D Dunn, 3) 55 L , 4-TOY CAROUSEL (J Maund, 5) 55 L . 0 horse(s) from this race have won since. Full Results
2 of 9
x
Morphettville R6 01/05/1999 - Australasian Oaks (GRP1)
2000m $200K R S Dye (5) 1-EPISODE (D Oliver, 1) 55 , 3-TOY CAROUSEL (J Maund, 2) 55 L , 4-TARAZEEL (Greg Hall, 8) 55 L . 0 horse(s) from this race have won since. Full Results
 
So GA ran 2nd in 1999 SA Oaks with RSD on and ran 2nd in Australiasin Oaks to Episode
 
I Googled 1999 VRC Oaks winner and it says Tributes
She did however win the AJC Oaks of her year with RSD in the saddle
 
Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:
Her results were as follows
 
x
Morphettville R6 12/05/1999 - South Australian Oaks (GRP1)
2500m $200K R S Dye (6) 1-EPISODE (D Oliver, 2) 55 , 3-RASS BRIGHTIA (D Dunn, 3) 55 L , 4-TOY CAROUSEL (J Maund, 5) 55 L . 0 horse(s) from this race have won since. Full Results
2 of 9
x
Morphettville R6 01/05/1999 - Australasian Oaks (GRP1)
2000m $200K R S Dye (5) 1-EPISODE (D Oliver, 1) 55 , 3-TOY CAROUSEL (J Maund, 2) 55 L , 4-TARAZEEL (Greg Hall, 8) 55 L . 0 horse(s) from this race have won since. Full Results
 
So GA ran 2nd in 1999 SA Oaks with RSD on and ran 2nd in Australiasin Oaks to Episode
 
I Googled 1999 VRC Oaks winner and it says Tributes
She did however win the AJC Oaks of her year with RSD in the saddle
 
Greg

She won the VRC Oaks and the AJC Oaks Greg. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CT"s said:

She won the Wakeful and the Oaks in 98. 

Correct, more like 22 years ago.
 

Imagine how many Australian Group 1’s Opie would have under his belt now if he’d taken up Lee Freedman’s offer then? :o
 

Quite possibly 3 Melbourne Cups :ph34r:

What 3 Cups did he maybe miss out CT , weights of winners , riding contracts looks none from what I can see . He's never getting the ride over Boss in Makybe Diva (GB) last success surely .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

What 3 Cups did he maybe miss out CT , weights of winners , riding contracts looks none from what I can see . He's never getting the ride over Boss in Makybe Diva (GB) last success surely .

If he had accepted Lee Freedman’s offer to be stable rider in 98 he could indeed have been aboard the Diva. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CT"s said:

If he had accepted Lee Freedman’s offer to be stable rider in 98 he could indeed have been aboard the Diva. :ph34r:

51kgs for another trainer , 55.5kgs and 58 kgs for final . Boss would have taken some shifting . Not sure what he weighed in at in those days but I suppose the ride would have been worth a couple laps in the bin bags and elastic band kit .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

51kgs for another trainer , 55.5kgs and 58 kgs for final . Boss would have taken some shifting . Not sure what he weighed in at in those days but I suppose the ride would have been worth a couple laps in the bin bags and elastic band kit .

Not to mention the myriad of other opportunities he would’ve had, riding Alinghi and co. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

He is a super rider Chris and his riding style would suit HQs - I hope he goes to Vic rather than NSW.

OP doesn't hustle his rides, he would suit Vic tracks, particularly HQ

Agree Tom. He’d have a mate in Michael Walker living in Melbourne which would help too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember Opie  went to Aussie to ride Grand Archway in Caufield  , he had a bad ride to put it mildly he was panned in the press and as a  19 year old was told you need to go home and learn to ride .Any other jockey would have broken under the pressure but this kid was built of stern stuff , Rogie and Watson backed him to stay on G A and he shut all the knockers up 1st winning the Wakeful Stakes and a week later winning the huge VRC Oaks  always the gentleman even then ,let his riding do the talking , even at 19 good on you Opie  Rotorua's favorite son. Cheers BH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CT"s said:

If he had accepted Lee Freedman’s offer to be stable rider in 98 he could indeed have been aboard the Diva. :ph34r:

No He could never have rode her in her first Melbourne Cup 51.5kg !!!!!!!

So Bossy would have kept the ride for the next 2 Cups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TurnipOrange said:

No He could never have rode her in her first Melbourne Cup 51.5kg !!!!!!!

So Bossy would have kept the ride for the next 2 Cups

Put him in the sauna with Willow for a couple of hours Bob. :lol:

That would’ve done the trick.
 

I’m sure riding the greatest stayer of all time would’ve been good motivation to survive on water and celery for a few weeks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CT"s said:

Put him in the sauna with Willow for a couple of hours Bob. :lol:

That would’ve done the trick.
 

I’m sure riding the greatest stayer of all time would’ve been good motivation to survive on water and celery for a few weeks. :)

Piggott lived on cigars and black coffee for 30 plus years and is still alive and kicking . Went to jail came back in 50s  and rode a masterpiece on Royal Academy in Breeders Cup ,Dedicated , food is for wimps .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Piggott lived on cigars and black coffee for 30 plus years and is still alive and kicking . Went to jail came back in 50s  and rode a masterpiece on Royal Academy in Breeders Cup ,Dedicated , food is for wimps .  

He was actually the first jockey I thought of Red Rum when I saw Bob’s comment. 

Great minds think alike. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CT"s said:

He was actually the first jockey I thought of Red Rum when I saw Bob’s comment. 

Great minds think alike. 
 

Red Rum yes, but who was the other great mind you were thinking of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opie Bosson has been our best rider for some years. In my opinion he is followed by Jason Waddell. Jason is a big race rider and he would also be a top performer in Australia if he decides to head that way.

Good luck to both of them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hear, hear to the good luck but if Aussie put their weights back down he will struggle. Any break from a strict regime and he can pack it on real quick.he wont go below 56.5 and there's a heap of good Aussie jocks at that level and below. I'll take a punt and say Craig Grylls will replace him as TA #1, but just mho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue said:

Hear, hear to the good luck but if Aussie put their weights back down he will struggle. Any break from a strict regime and he can pack it on real quick.he wont go below 56.5 and there's a heap of good Aussie jocks at that level and below. I'll take a punt and say Craig Grylls will replace him as TA #1, but just mho.

Grylls Locked up with Hickman.

Danielle Johnson be in running .

Even Round 2 maybe for Matt Cameron..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Grylls Locked up with Hickman.

Danielle Johnson be in running .

Even Round 2 maybe for Matt Cameron..

Danielle Johnson odds on surely to be No.1 rider...done plenty of donkey work and hard yards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.