rdytdy

Hastings Abandoned

obviously too dry to start with too hard underneath...just another day with the same results...not good enough...you can have all the fancy cocktail parties you want but when the single most important thing...tracks... is stuffed, then what's the point of pouring never ending money in...it needs fixing NOW.

So has there been a day scheduled for the Lowland Stakes and the other 3yo race? Could they add it onto the Tauherenikau meeting on Sunday despite acceptances already been released? Make those 2 races the last 2 on Sunday. Next Wednesday at Otaki seems too late, only 10 days from the Oaks especially when most are coming from the north. 

43 minutes ago, nomates said:

They are now looking at date and program changes , perhaps pushing Trentham back a week ?

And bring Riccarton forward a week as a consequence? 

As a result of the abandonment of Hawke’s Bay Racing Inc.’s meeting at Hastings yesterday, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has confirmed the following date and programme changes.

Programme and Date Changes

After considering all options and taking into account the views of affected participants, NZTR has determined that the Group 2 Lowland Stakes and the 3YO Set Weights and Penalties that was not run yesterday will both be moved to Racing Taupō’s meeting on Friday 8 March. In order to accommodate these moves, nine races will now be run at this meeting next week. The necessary approvals for these changes have been obtained from the New Zealand Pattern Committee and the TAB NZ Dates Committee.

The Group 2 Lowland Stakes will now be run over 2000m metres and the 3YO SW&P race will be run for a stake of $25,000.

NZTR notes that, while the Group 2 Lowland Stakes is an important race in its own right, it also plays a very important role in the 3YO fillies pattern, as it helps underpin the race rating of the Group 1 New Zealand Oaks at Trentham. In NZTR’s view, running the Lowland Stakes at Taupō gives both it and the New Zealand Oaks, the best opportunity to meet the required ratings performance to retain their status as Group 1 and Group 2 races, respectively. In addition, the 3YO Set Weights and Penalties race will also move to Taupō as an important lead-up to the Group 2 Wellington Guineas.  

A 3YO Set Weights & Penalties race over 1300m is to be added to the Ōtaki-Maori Racing Club programme on 6 March, to be run for a stake of $25,000.

Other key programme changes are summarised below:

• The R60 1200m is being deleted from the Racing Taupō meeting on 8 March
  • An R65 over 2100m is to be added to the Wellington Racing Club programme on 9 March

There will be new nominations for both races being moved to Taupo (closing at the normal time on Tuesday 5 March) with preference being given to horses who were meant to run yesterday at Hastings.

Hastings Abandonment

NZTR received a full Stewards’ Report this morning regarding the abandonment, including the track preparation in the lead-up to the raceday.  NZTR is awaiting reports from the Club on the preparation of the track, particularly consideration of forecast showers, to ensure that all available options were considered for the surface preparation given the adverse forecast. 

NZTR will engage with the Club, Racing Integrity Board and New Zealand Jockeys’ Association to ensure we get the best possible outcomes for the industry moving forward and that we are making proactive decisions when it comes to the preparation of tracks with our current weather patterns.

NZTR and the Club have also agreed to immediately undertake a full renovation of the Hastings turf to regain confidence in the track. More information will be provided by NZTR regarding this process once a detailed plan has been finalised.

Wasn't there talk of building a new track a wee way south-west of town? Rather than a full reno of the turf at the present site why not sell the current track for houses (it's already surrounded by them) and build new? Bonus points if you design a track with a decent start point for the 1600m.

NZTR will engage with the Club, Racing Integrity Board and New Zealand Jockeys’ Association to ensure we get the best possible outcomes for the industry moving forward and that we are making proactive decisions when it comes to the preparation of tracks with our current weather patterns.

Think I have read this previously possibly not word for word perfect but the similar promise of a better tomorrow …. Just words, with little apparent ongoing action … just words

“Full renovation” - in terms of recovery time, another jumping track gone for this year at-least?

My mistake, they only have one jumps meeting programmed anyway.

Edited by SameOld

4 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Wasn't there talk of building a new track a wee way south-west of town? Rather than a full reno of the turf at the present site why not sell the current track for houses (it's already surrounded by them) and build new? Bonus points if you design a track with a decent start point for the 1600m.

Perhaps build it somewhere near Waipukurau.

23 hours ago, Zak Hussai said:

So has there been a day scheduled for the Lowland Stakes and the other 3yo race? Could they add it onto the Tauherenikau meeting on Sunday despite acceptances already been released? Make those 2 races the last 2 on Sunday. Next Wednesday at Otaki seems too late, only 10 days from the Oaks especially when most are coming from the north. 

The Lowland Stakes will move to the Taupo Racemeeting next Friday 8th March.

"NZTR and the Club have also agreed to immediately undertake a full renovation of the Hastings turf to regain confidence in the track. More information will be provided by NZTR regarding this process once a detailed plan has been finalised"

A full renovation [in layman's terms] means cutting the grass right back, removing any build up of debris material, aerate, fill divot holes, fertilize and irrigate to get the grass growing rapidly which hopefully it will, as it's still warm enough.

The next meeting at Hastings is scheduled for 13 April, so my guess is that it will not be necessary to reschedule any race dates.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

"NZTR and the Club have also agreed to immediately undertake a full renovation of the Hastings turf to regain confidence in the track. More information will be provided by NZTR regarding this process once a detailed plan has been finalised"

A full renovation [in layman's terms] means cutting the grass right back, removing any build up of debris material, aerate, fill divot holes, fertilize and irrigate to get the grass growing rapidly which hopefully it will, as it's still warm enough.

The next meeting at Hastings is scheduled for 13 April, so my guess is that it will not be necessary to reschedule any race dates.

Shouldn’t they just be doing this stuff normally. Part of your maintenance cycle. Why wait till meetings are abandoned. 
The geezer who suggested shutting all those other courses down, which could have stepped in to take a load off, is most culpable in my eyes. Hope they didn’t pay him. 

I am not sticking up for them, simply explaining what I think that they mean by "a full renovation of the Hastings turf"

Yes it is normal practice or at least was when I was involved with a Racing Club who did a full renovation like that, at least twice a year.

Having said that the club that I was involved with had 4 or 5 guys to look after the gardens, grounds and track back then.

Now I think that they are down to one, maybe two. Every club is in the same position except maybe Ellerslie.

The new "business orientated CEO's" have come in over the last 20 to 25 years, taken no notice of the old codgers on the various committees and said, "this is the way we are doing it now, as we simply don't have any money". [Truth]

Go figure.

7 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

Shouldn’t they just be doing this stuff normally. Part of your maintenance cycle. Why wait till meetings are abandoned. 
The geezer who suggested shutting all those other courses down, which could have stepped in to take a load off, is most culpable in my eyes. Hope they didn’t pay him. 

Doesn't matter what the fudge you do to the Track when you have the same clown in charge of turning the water on/off, might be better off doing a bit of re education of how to read/understand a weather forecast. Results speak for themselves.

9 hours ago, Insider said:

I don't think many farmers would consider that a full renovation of a pasture. To me that is routine annual maintenance for any track. If that's what they mean, I don't see the point.

53 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I don't think many farmers would consider that a full renovation of a pasture. To me that is routine annual maintenance for any track. If that's what they mean, I don't see the point.

Ok Leggy, educate me. What would a farmer consider a full renovation of a pasture.

P.S. I forgot about the under-sowing that we always did.