RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Winstons big announcement...

1 minute ago, Leggy said:

How do you think the government would lose money from abandonments?

I would have thought the lost betting revenue would have meant a loss to the Govt coffers .. am I wrong Legs?

Just now, jess said:

I would have thought the lost betting revenue would have meant a loss to the Govt coffers .. am I wrong Legs?

I don't think there is any lost betting revenue. It is just lost to domestic thoroughbred racing. Punter losses stay the same and other meetings, codes and sports get the betting and the government still gets the revenue. That's my take anyway.

Ah - well perhaps I am wrong Leggy - sadly it does happen from time to time....   ;)

Knowing the punters I know, I'm aware they don't transfer their punting money to other (eg offshoreor sports) betting options - they had studied and were interested in that meeting and those horses so their money stays intheir pockets ... perhaps that's not the norm though ...

All the ancilliary businesses connecting with racing will also have their profit castled so you'd think that could be a tax loss too ..

But I guess neither of us can say with certainty ... ?

8 minutes ago, jess said:

Ah - well perhaps I am wrong Leggy - sadly it does happen from time to time....   ;)

Knowing the punters I know, I'm aware they don't transfer their punting money to other (eg offshoreor sports) betting options - they had studied and were interested in that meeting and those horses so their money stays intheir pockets ... perhaps that's not the norm though ...

All the ancilliary businesses connecting with racing will also have their profit castled so you'd think that could be a tax loss too ..

But I guess neither of us can say with certainty ... ?

True and I don't think it really matters. Government doesn't generally give handouts to industries that may be struggling from time to time. I wasn't there but it sounds like Peters has basically said that racing needs to sort out its own s%^t, the same thing Carter told it 10 years ago after Peters  previous wasted largesse had ended or gone into place.. So, I think participants and leadership need to focus on doing that instead of hanging out waiting for some additional handout from outside the industry to rescue them.

26 minutes ago, gary1 said:

whats your take on the announcement now insider

Very disappointing. He said nothing. I don’t even know why half the auditorium clapped. All I got out of it was that the industry might get a poly track in the north if signed off by government and he wants the IRD to honour what the depreciation laws are in relationship to buying yearling fillies, not the way they are currently applying them. 

34 minutes ago, jess said:

Reminded me a bit of those pictures of the sumptuous burger you are going to order from McDonalds and you pull up to the drive-through window full of hope and expectation - and then you open up that little box when you get home and it's a poor and somewhat floppy imitation of what you thought you were goin to get ....  :wacko:

Maybe Winston is right though - the build-up to "the big announcement" was false.   So maybe we all deserve our disappointment ..... satisfaction is generally inversely proportional to expectation afterall ...

Bet a few girlfriends have said that.....:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Leggy said:

True and I don't think it really matters. Government doesn't generally give handouts to industries that may be struggling from time to time. I wasn't there but it sounds like Peters has basically said that racing needs to sort out its own s%^t, the same thing Carter told it 10 years ago after Peters  previous wasted largesse had ended or gone into place.. So, I think participants and leadership need to focus on doing that instead of hanging out waiting for some additional handout from outside the industry to rescue them.

Bottom line - Govt is not a benevolent society.  When it comes to racing - they'll put money in where they can see a return.  

Otherwise - we're on our own.  And it's hard to argue with that actually ...

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Well Peters stuck it up all those racing idiots who voted for him, got elected on the back of promises galore and backed out of shit loads already.

Delivered nothing as most of us thought.

He is the antipodean CNN--purveyor of fake news. And talking about news, TV3 had a link to Karaka and crossed a couple of times but rather than be a good advertisement we got some "kid" reporters without a clue labelling Avantage  a "he" (last time I looked it was a filly), owned by David Ellis (the syndicate had better check) and the girl reporter revealing that Winston alluded to tax relief for the industry which she disingenuously decided was a tax break for the rich!

Winston will lap up the attention and deliver nothing but a lesson on introspection--gullibility at it's finest.

I think if WP said we will be honouring all the recommendations that were in our racing policy most people would be content.Instead we got a speech on what we already know  and nothing of substance. Fake news alright.

I repeat that I wasn't there and didn't hear this, but I don't see what in their racing policy this suggests they won't be pursuing. It sounds like that's what they will do, for what it's worth. Just nothing beyond that.

42 minutes ago, barryb said:

No one can argue with that Jess agreed, however this liar got massive support from those involved in racing on promises that appear unlikely to be delivered on.

What's that saying about cunning dogs?

10 minutes ago, hesi said:

A slimmed down, efficient RB

Do turkeys vote for an early Christmas?  Why would they get off the gravy train which is carrying them so handsomely ... and if they don't want to - who has the power to make them?

13 minutes ago, hesi said:

C'mon Jess??

The RB is responsible to Peters, he said in his NZ First policy, now formally adopted by Labour, that he would review the operation and costs of the RB, end of story, needs to happen

I don't know how they are responsible to Peters? The Board is required to organise a performance and efficiency audit every 5 years (due this year) but I don't think the Minister has the power to do that, so I'm not sure how Peters can initiate such a review either?

Whatever, has that changed?

Did he suggest today that he was no longer going to do that?

1 hour ago, barryb said:

No one can argue with that Jess agreed, however this liar got massive support from those involved in racing on promises that appear unlikely to be delivered on.

He done it before and now he is doing it again just talks everything up just to get the votes. If you voted for him you should have known better by now. Not even his electric voted for him so that tells you alot. 

5 hours ago, hesi said:

C'mon Jess??

The RB is responsible to Peters, he said in his NZ First policy, now formally adopted by Labour, that he would review the operation and costs of the RB, end of story, needs to happen

There are some real wankers in this world - especially the ones that voted for NZF and the ones that think that WP is the Racing Industry saviour. The hero folk are those that voted him out of office in his electorate - they must feel betrayed now that he slunk his way into the DP's chair. 

3 hours ago, Trump said:

There are some real wankers in this world - especially the ones that voted for NZF and the ones that think that WP is the Racing Industry saviour. The hero folk are those that voted him out of office in his electorate - they must feel betrayed now that he slunk his way into the DP's chair. 

well said, i couldnt agree more , this guy just cant be trusted , dont no whos worse, peters or jones, a couple of pricks, thats what i say.

5 hours ago, Trump said:

Trump I have never voted NZF nor do I think Winston is the Racing Industry saviour. Spit out your sour grapes and admit that at least he has far more knowledge of the Racing Industry than the two Racing Ministers we had under the nine year Tory Junta.

42 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I listened to his speech yesterday, and it was underwhelming, it was just “trust me, I’ve got this”, and of course the promise to beat up on the IRD over their interpretation of the tax write offs on breeding stock ( that was just a warm fuzzy thank you for the breeders ).

However, in his defense, WP and or Labour owe Racing nothing other than to make the code knock itself into shape, so we should’ve had low expectations.

We have the real estate assets, we have cash at the club level, collectively we can change this code if we want to, but the problem is we don’t have a strategy plan to do it.

Someone needs to gather twenty key players for a weekend, identify where we want to go, what shape we want to be in in ten years, write a seminal document, set some goals, and give the industry some targets, something we can aspire to to make Racing better.

How hard could that be?