RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Trainers To Take Action

You would have thought Tony Pike might have done that exercise already Porty......good ammo for their case I would say..?

I am sure they have, but it would be interesting to see how things have gone backwards so much. I am not doubting that stakes are pathetic.... but everything else has increased....including trainers fees I assume?

Pukekohe trainer Gareth McRae has accepted a role as stable foreman for former leading New Zealand trainer and now Randwick-based John Sargent. (from The...

Another good trainer leaving to work as a foreman... geez what does that say about the state of play????

300k in increased stakes, what a joke even if it was real, it pales into insignificance at the arrogant ridiculous spending on overseas jaunts that the so called brains of the organisation continue with.

What did 12 people travelling to Hong Kong and the associated costs waste??

Would I be wrong in suggesting 100k plus and what about travelling to France at Arc time and every other exotic destination you can think of in the pretence it will be for the betterment of NZ racing.

Farcical is one word that comes to mind but others beginning with F are also appropriate.

The Exodus is on - just watch and weep. Australia is the racing Mecca for all aspiring, progressive, enterprising and professional horse racing business people. Good luck NZ - you are heading the same same path as Ireland.

300k in increased stakes, what a joke even if it was real, it pales into insignificance at the arrogant ridiculous spending on overseas jaunts that the so called brains of the organisation continue with.

Would I be wrong in suggesting 100k plus and what about travelling to France at Arc time and every other exotic destination you can think of in the pretence it will be for the betterment of NZ racing.

Farcical is one word that comes to mind but others beginning with F are also appropriate.

Don't worry Noonu I'm looking forward to all the reports and discussion papers the attendees will deliver. Should be many hours of highly motivational reading. Then again it might be quicker going direct on the internet and get the information first hand.

With the  state of the Aussie economy will the vast stakes increases be sustainable into the future?Or are they living beyond their means like the rest of the country?Dont get me wrong I'm envious of the money available to all but will it last.

Look at Chris Waller...Average CD trainer in NZ...Top Trainer in Sydney with unlimited opportunities,Top Horses and Staff (Don,t know how many Ex Kiwi).

Owners start the ball rolling,but not being able to pay trainers bills when a horse wins is off-putting.

The ball stops rolling and, owners opt out and whole industry suffers.

On the flip side (HB Racing) Have heaps of noms for thurs. 7k maidens and only 7 for the 20k hurdles and 11 for 20k steeples...

well done...Wheres all the hurdlers? 

While I support every aspect of the Trainers Association criticism as valid I would question whether a strike is a good idea. There are people at the racing board, either on the board or advisors, that see "putting on the show" or to be more precise, the cost of it, as a necessary evil. A week or two of just supplying "product" from offshore will surely make someone there offer up the viewpoint - why not just abandon local racing with it's inherent expense just to put on a show that we can supply from offshore at minimal cost. This is the risk posed by a Racing Board devoid of stakeholders. The trainers and owners with attendant professionals (jockeys, farriers, float drivers) should never assume they are not expendable in the eyes of the Racing Board. Don't give them the opportunity to put an end to live racing in NZ. I know some will think this is an outrageous suggestion but the people you are dealing with are simply seeking the most cost efficient outcome. Don't make yourself a part of it. 

Interesting theory but will never happen PJ.....the cost of collateral damage would be too great.

What is it, 30,000 odd involved in the Industry directly or indirectly....versus a Board...?? Hardly a fair fight.

No Government worth its salt would let that happen.....political suicide.

At last , Peter has spoken the unpalatable truth, fixing racing is easy .

Restrict NZ racing to 3 days a week and public holidays , then import the rest.

The savings would be huge and the profits from  imported racing would be massive.

Further steps would need to be taken , eg NZTR needs to gain control of all tracks and close the less viable ones ( sorry puha ) then invest the proceeds from their sale in the remaining tracks , simple , but self interest will prevent this from happening.

(I didn't say I liked it either , but I'm not complaining )

If a solution along these lines is no use to you then stop complaining and settle for what we have , which is a very slow improvement .

At last , Peter has spoken the unpalatable truth, fixing racing is easy .

Restrict NZ racing to 3 days a week and public holidays , then import the rest.

The savings would be huge and the profits from  imported racing would be massive.

Further steps would need to be taken , eg NZTR needs to gain control of all tracks and close the less viable ones ( sorry puha ) then invest the proceeds from their sale in the remaining tracks , simple , but self interest will prevent this from happening.

(I didn't say I liked it either , but I'm not complaining )

If a solution along these lines is no use to you then stop complaining and settle for what we have , which is a very slow improvement .

Invest the proceeds in what, more junkets to the various racing conferences around the world for even more gravy trainers????

How can it possibly be justified 12 people attend the recent Asian Racing Conference, can you answer that???

Cheers.

..and what about the idiotic liability called TripleTrio :o

how many million are we 'down' on that treacherous creation!

Interesting theory but will never happen PJ.....the cost of collateral damage would be too great.

What is it, 30,000 odd involved in the Industry directly or indirectly....versus a Board...?? Hardly a fair fight.

No Government worth its salt would let that happen.....political suicide.

Dave, I sincerely hope you are right but realistically how many draw a full-time wage from Thoroughbred Racing ?

Not 30,000.

I would like to see some people's estimates. Politically, I think the board could justify the collateral damage in terms of only those in full time employment being affected and that would be few. Many trainers and even jockeys are part-time. Tote staff, track staff, strappers, float drivers, etc. Don't underestimate the spin that could be put on this crucial issue. 

Of course this would raise the issue of who owns the tracks. I can see the board making a case for ownership which would result in an asset grab and subsequent sell-off. Could the clubs fight such an action in terms of legal cost ? I doubt it....

Just a suggestion seeing as something obviously needs to be done and centralisation is already being bandied about.  Brainstorming of ideas is not a bad thing.. even the silliest of ideas can spark something in someone else's mind that can lead to a possible remedy :)

Centralise to main tracks in the bigger centres where they can be sure of a steady nom/acceptance rate:  Auckland, Hamilton, Hastings, Wellington, Marlborough, Christchurch, Dunedin/Invercargill (list is just an example for now).    Put all weather harness tracks inside the course propers.   Co-habitation by codes would make it easier to market signage and get sponsorship etc if the tracks are being constantly used and seen via media and through the gate attendance is steady.   It would also be possible to have some gallops night races over say  1000 or 1200m as that would limit the amount of additional lighting needed to be installed over and above that needed for harness.   Lights can pivot and so could be used for both tracks in some places with set programmed placement. 

Leave some of the smaller clubs in areas such as Taranaki/Manawatu/Northland/West Coast/Gisborne/Southland (again just an example list) as training and stabling centres and education centres for equine studies and apprenticeships, horse handling training courses etc..  This could be something that could be promoted in many areas.   Data on locations of current trainers (Professional and owner/trainer) should be held already which means that assessing where best to have these training centres should be reasonably straight forward.

Run greyhound meetings in tandem with harness (this is done at some meetings now and it does provide a bit of interest inbetween races).. Not sure about doing this at gallops meetings as tbreds tend to be a bit more highly strung where dogs are concerned :)  The hounds could still have their own stand alone meetings in places like Wanganui and Auckland where they have reasonable facilities in place now.

Some country picnic meetings could still be held over summer at the provincial tracks that are maintained as training tracks.

Seeing any of the smaller clubs close down is never nice, I can remember when Opaki met that fate, it was sad, but to enable survival it is sometimes best to cut down to ensure that what tracks are left are of better quality and perhaps we might see the tracks and facilities on course being brought back to the standards they used to be at, and it might encourage those that have left to come back and spend the day or evening on course.

I'm also not in favour of cutting off your nose to spite your face.. trainers might want to strike for initial shock value, but do that too often and people will find something else to fill the gap and they will seek out alternatives.   Turning to US/Asian and Australian racing could very well happen as the TAB won't want to lose money and they will put in place options to ensure they minimise any possible losses.   Once interest shifts it is hard to get it back.

Remember these are just possible ideas I'm putting out there :) not what I think should be written in blood and set in concrete :)

Chestnut - are you serious.     Taranaki/Manawatu (you don't even mention Wanganui) as training areas only.     There have been more champion horses from these areas than Wellington I would assume.      And where do the patrons go?       With a La-Z-Boy and knitting needles in front of the tele?     I really think races like the Wellington Cup should be run at Palmie and the Auckland Cup at Te Rapa if you really believe the axe is the solution.     These days Auckland is full of immigrants who dont give two rats for racing so keeping races in the country areas would seem to make sense.    Or is this all b/s.and a case of "if it aint broke..........."?

Dave, I sincerely hope you are right but realistically how many draw a full-time wage from Thoroughbred Racing ?

Not 30,000.

I would like to see some people's estimates. Politically, I think the board could justify the collateral damage in terms of only those in full time employment being affected and that would be few. Many trainers and even jockeys are part-time. Tote staff, track staff, strappers, float drivers, etc. Don't underestimate the spin that could be put on this crucial issue. 

Of course this would raise the issue of who owns the tracks. I can see the board making a case for ownership which would result in an asset grab and subsequent sell-off. Could the clubs fight such an action in terms of legal cost ? I doubt it....

Where were the trainers when the Racing Act was written. It would seem NZTR has little power and Racing Clubs none. The way the Racing Act is written throughout is an outrage. It stifles any form of innovation by private individuals or businesses.

30 Amendment of racing rules
(1) A racing code must, before amending its racing rules, receive written approval from the Board for the proposed amendment.
50 Board may conduct betting
The Board may conduct, either by itself or by means of racing clubs or other agents appointed by the Board for this purpose,—
(a)racing betting in accordance with rules made under section 52; and
(b)except as provided in section 55, sports betting in accordance with rules made under section 54; and
©combinations of the betting referred to in paragraphs (a) and (B).
Compare: 1971 No 155 ss 99B, 99K
51 Racing clubs may conduct equalisator betting
(1)A racing club that has a betting licence may conduct equalisator betting on races held by it on the date to which the licence relates and on the terms and conditions set out in the licence.
(3)All or any of the functions under subsection (1) may be carried out by a person acting under a delegation under clause 24(1) of Schedule 1.