RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MissJools

There's only One Opie Bosson!!!

22 minutes ago, MissJools said:

Before Opie met and Married Emily, he was married to Sam Spratt, and they had a Son together.

Why am I not surprised you knew that Jooly? I didn't know Sam and OP had married, but then again marriage is a bit of an alien concept for me and my kids!

22 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Why am I not surprised you knew that Jooly? I didn't know Sam and OP had married, but then again marriage is a bit of an alien concept for me and my kids!

That just goes to show how long I have been watching Trackside for, Sam was hellbent on not letting her Ex out of the pocket he was in, during the Zabeel Classic. 

5 hours ago, Pakaraka Star said:

Pretty sure it was just a gag between spouses that got joked about on live tv and now people are reading wayy too much into it.

I did however find it a bit funny when Mark Walker was talking about Opie and his ex wife in an post race interview and then they throw back to Emily presenting haha

That was hilarious 😆 

On 12/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, say no more said:

Opie - brilliant again today.   Best in NZ by a long way!

OP was well aware of the racing strip before the first race ,when others didn't seem to be aware until  after  6.Why?. Having the better rides certainly helps but riding against others giving him plenty of room and track position makes his job all that much easier...Go back and watch the replays and question what was going through the minds of some of the also rans given the obvious advantage. The only race where it mattered being closer in was the 1.34 opening 1450  in Campionessas sub 34 finish given those back and wide little chance... A few also rans worth following,and a few jockeys there mindless

On 12/28/2023 at 11:21 PM, Gruff said:

OP was well aware of the racing strip before the first race ,when others didn't seem to be aware until  after  6.Why?. Having the better rides certainly helps but riding against others giving him plenty of room and track position makes his job all that much easier...Go back and watch the replays and question what was going through the minds of some of the also rans given the obvious advantage. The only race where it mattered being closer in was the 1.34 opening 1450  in Campionessas sub 34 finish given those back and wide little chance... A few also rans worth following,and a few jockeys there mindless

I thought it was interesting when Doyle was being interviewed after winning Race 3 he said the inside rail was dead and they would avoid it going forward.  Fast forward one race to Opie winning Race 4 for his 3rd winner of the day, Sweeney put it to him that he had found the golden part of the track and questioned the rail, but Opie (in complete contradiction to Doyle) said the rail is fine and will play better as the track dries through the day.  And what do you know, Opie wins the last two on Campionessa and Francee from the inside.

2 hours ago, Pakaraka Star said:

I thought it was interesting when Doyle was being interviewed after winning Race 3 he said the inside rail was dead and they would avoid it going forward.  Fast forward one race to Opie winning Race 4 for his 3rd winner of the day, Sweeney put it to him that he had found the golden part of the track and questioned the rail, but Opie (in complete contradiction to Doyle) said the rail is fine and will play better as the track dries through the day.  And what do you know, Opie wins the last two on Campionessa and Francee from the inside.

One is following his experience , the other is following a narrative .

As one would expect, although Campionessa had a major advantage in being handy on a walk,  you compete you can't burn the candle twice on an 'off'  part of the track, Bosson had the rides the experience and the 'oil  on where to be, most times ive been on course (generally) there seems to be 1 or  2 female jockeys walking around the track nearest the finish or within 40m ...Always found that bizarre given penetrometer readings are suppose to be taken at  various  positons around the track from the rail out as NO track is ever level in its nature.Doyle and Matt Cameron had good chances extinguisehed in a part of the track OP was avoiding, bring on Ellerslie and lets move away from trainers and jockeys decision making on inconsistent surfaces ...given the unique topographical nature of Ellerslie this will be interesting 

13 hours ago, Gruff said:

As one would expect, although Campionessa had a major advantage in being handy on a walk,  you compete you can't burn the candle twice on an 'off'  part of the track, Bosson had the rides the experience and the 'oil  on where to be, most times ive been on course (generally) there seems to be 1 or  2 female jockeys walking around the track nearest the finish or within 40m ...Always found that bizarre given penetrometer readings are suppose to be taken at  various  positons around the track from the rail out as NO track is ever level in its nature.Doyle and Matt Cameron had good chances extinguisehed in a part of the track OP was avoiding, bring on Ellerslie and lets move away from trainers and jockeys decision making on inconsistent surfaces ...given the unique topographical nature of Ellerslie this will be interesting 

In a way though that ability to 'read' the surface is part of the game. I accept what you are saying about the new surface at HQ and hopefully it will be consistent and fair. I was pleased to learn that the undulations are still there - that uphill drag to the finish has found out many a jockey who pushed the buttom 100m too early and got the staggers with 50m to go. 

14 hours ago, Insider said:

Use your photo as your avatar like I use mine.

That's interesting Insider - I thought you had utilised a photograph of  a movie star from yesteryear 🙂

With the talk around Opie's Group 1 record, here's his first, when he was 99 GR1 wins away from a boat.

Yep - moving it to March a death knell in my opinion. Slipping into obscurity with this weird timing - not even sure what the supporting argument looked like but Kermit & Co obviously had there reasons 🙄

They either need to return to the original timing or as I've said before move Derby Day & Cup Day to Anniversary Weekend - many compelling arguments to support this as a good option.

1 hour ago, Alf Riston said:

Yep - moving it to March a death knell in my opinion. Slipping into obscurity with this weird timing - not even sure what the supporting argument looked like but Kermit & Co obviously had there reasons 🙄

They either need to return to the original timing or as I've said before move Derby Day & Cup Day to Anniversary Weekend - many compelling arguments to support this as a good option.

Big crowd in 98 too.

Seems like little racing logic anymore in akl cup being in March. 

I mean the upside now is it is very easy to attend - small crowd in public stand, easy to get a coffee etc. 

1 hour ago, Alf Riston said:

Wasn't their reasoning supposedly tying it into the end of the financial year? Supposedly something to do with attracting the corporates anyway. Like so many decisions Ellerslie and Alexandra Park have made over the years, they've merely flipped the fans the bird. 

As an aside; I know other tracks have stuffed around their patrons too, but I'm speaking as an Aucklander. 

Corporate decision made by a Corporate for the benefit of the Corporate crowd

Racing didn’t feature

If it was a veiled attempt to recreate Christchurch Cup Week, they already had it from Boxing Day thru to 2 Jan including the trots.

Dumbest decision ever and still hurting them

7 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Corporate decision made by a Corporate for the benefit of the Corporate crowd

Racing didn’t feature

If it was a veiled attempt to recreate Christchurch Cup Week, they already had it from Boxing Day thru to 2 Jan including the trots.

Dumbest decision ever and still hurting them

Can't agree more about the dumbness of it all Tom.

And in this PC age, lot's of corporates won't associate with Racing due to problem gambling and animal cruelty 'links'.

Really worked out well for them hasn't it. 

On 12/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, TurnyTom said:

CWJ had 8 years away, had he travelled the full distance would be 3200 plus

Opie is a superb rider, a true Champ.

A little distance from CWJ but an outstanding rider

No doubt what so ever that Opie is a truly gifted and champion jockey. I have wondered if living in the heat climate of Australia may have helped with the weight issues. Opie has the pick of the TA rides for good reason, he is the best. Had Chris not had the eight years away he may not have achieved the numbers he has, it can be a tough game. He has been off with injury for a year now, but is keen to come back. Some folks may need to realize that Chris cant keep riding forever as he will be 60 in April. Apparently when he retires it will be on his terms and when he is ready. 

On 12/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, TurnyTom said:

CWJ had 8 years away, had he travelled the full distance would be 3200 plus

Opie is a superb rider, a true Champ.

A little distance from CWJ but an outstanding rider

No doubt what so ever that Opie is a truly gifted and champion jockey. I have wondered if living in the heat climate of Australia may have helped with the weight issues. Opie has the pick of the TA rides for good reason, he is the best. Had Chris not had the eight years away he may not have achieved the numbers he has, it can be a tough game. He has been off with injury for a year now, but is keen to come back. Some folks may need to realize that Chris cant keep riding forever as he will be 60 in April. Apparently when he retires it will be on his terms and when he is ready.