RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Des Wyatt passes away

Des Wyatt ,one of natures true gentlemen.

Many great memories of travelling to races with Des in the twilight of his riding career.

His best ride in this period was (Sir)Silver Lad,with Jocasta also a classy juvenile.

After many falls/injuries,Des certainly made it to a grand old age.

RIP Des.

Des rode 584 winners in NZ and is currently 84th on the all times list. He started riding in the 1946-7 season riding two winners. He won his last ride - Ric Rossato at Matamata on the 1/5/78. Notable wins: 1977 NZ Derby and Rotorua Challenge Stakes on Silver Lad.1954 GN St Leger, 1955 Mitchelson, 1956 Wellington Cup on Fox Myth. 1960 GN Oaks on Summer Sari and 1961 Oaks on Challenge. 1961 Clifford Plate on Lord Sasanof and 1977 on Silver Lad. 1960 GN Guineas on Chatsmore. 1968 Avondale Cup on Proud Chief. 1968 Royal Stakes on Rosehill and on Free Gold in 1977. 1960 GN Champagne Stakes on Challen. 1966 Newmarket on Tuam. Four Whangarei Cups- 1950 Fireman, 1965 Dark Intrigue, 1967 High Voltage, 1973 Captain Peri. 1959 Rotorua Cup on Revenue. Four Thames Valley Stakes- 1961 Lord Sasanof, 1962 Key, 1963 Fencourt, 1966 Honestly. 1961 Taumaranui Cup on Pin Money and 1975 on Quick Answer. 1974 Te Aroha Breeders’ Stakes on Pheroz Jewel.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Des rode 584 winners in NZ and is currently 84th on the all times list. He started riding in the 1946-7 season riding two winners. He won his last ride - Ric Rossato at Matamata on the 1/5/78. Notable wins: 1977 NZ Derby and Rotorua Challenge Stakes on Silver Lad.1954 GN St Leger, 1955 Mitchelson, 1956 Wellington Cup on Fox Myth. 1960 GN Oaks on Summer Sari and 1961 Oaks on Challenge. 1961 Clifford Plate on Lord Sasanof and 1977 on Silver Lad. 1960 GN Guineas on Chatsmore. 1968 Avondale Cup on Proud Chief. 1968 Royal Stakes on Rosehill and on Free Gold in 1977. 1960 GN Champagne Stakes on Challen. 1966 Newmarket on Tuam. Four Whangarei Cups- 1950 Fireman, 1965 Dark Intrigue, 1967 High Voltage, 1973 Captain Peri. 1959 Rotorua Cup on Revenue. Four Thames Valley Stakes- 1961 Lord Sasanof, 1962 Key, 1963 Fencourt, 1966 Honestly. 1961 Taumaranui Cup on Pin Money and 1975 on Quick Answer. 1974 Te Aroha Breeders’ Stakes on Pheroz Jewel.

Gubes

Silver Lad won the 1976 NZ Derby. You may be confusing him with the win in 1977 which was in the Wellington Derby.  Des won both on him. 

Great bloke Des, I used to venture up to Cornwall Park and play in the Annual Cricket match, Jockeys vs the Press, was always a great day out.

Des always played, Norm Holland captained the Jockeys team, Wayne Woods the Press Team.

Those were the days, the press team had about 4 on the ballot trying to get a game!

Those were the days when the Press box was full, my how things have changed!

Ask a member of the young generation what the Press Box was, their replies would be interesting………

As a youngster I was the 'runner" at Awapuni races.  It was my job to take the official result from the judges box to the tote, to enable dividends to be calculated (done on course in those days) 

From there I would "run" the confirmed placings and dividends over to the Press Box (or was it Press room?). Best food on course was available in that room!

Blue you are correct. Des won the 1960 Cornwall Handicap on Several trained by Pam O’Brien at Takanini. She won by a nose from Action Packed and Bob Jury with a half head to Anywhere and Grenville Hughes. Des also won the 1954 Cornwall on Sir Nicolas for Te Aroha owner- trainer DW Gaddes.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group. Im Des's first Grandson Brett.

So nice seeing all the comments about Poppa.. He has left a huge hole in our family but left a great Legacy which i will cherish forever.

This is Audio of Poppa's win on Fox Myth Wellington Cup 1956. Has been hidden away in archives since 1956.

Enjoy!

183346 - Wellington Cup Fox Myth.mp3

7 hours ago, BJDESMOND said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group. Im Des's first Grandson Brett.

So nice seeing all the comments about Poppa.. He has left a huge hole in our family but left a great Legacy which i will cherish forever.

This is Audio of Poppa's win on Fox Myth Wellington Cup 1956. Has been hidden away in archives since 1956.

Enjoy!

183346 - Wellington Cup Fox Myth.mp3 17.63 MB · 15 downloads

Hi Brett. I made mention of this on Facebook under the commentary.

That 1956 Cup meeting was the meeting that commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Trentham racecourse. The Cup was worth 10,000 pounds.

The win made up for an unlucky 3rd in the Auckland Cup a few weeks before.

Peter Kelly was incorrect when he said the race record was 3:19:5. Fox Myth ran 3:21:25 which was a both a race and weight carrying record at the time. The Cup had only been run at 2 miles from 1942.