RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Value Bell

P T Wolfenden.

Sorry Team but the death of PT is not sad.Time for some perspective. He has lived a full life of 88 years and had immeasurable success in his chosen harness racing field and hopefully enjoyed a happy and fulfilling retirement with his family and friends.

What is SAD is the loss of 2 volunteer firefighters in their prime with the resultant loss to their wives and children before they could enjoy a long and rewarding family life.

Bask in the memories of what PT turned on for us, but remember we are all mortal. JMO.

It's always Sad when a great of the sport passes as they take with them the inspiration,  and the foundations for many of their successors. The younger generations. Their input so great that it is felt for decades , even after they retire from the track. 

The Influence that recently passed North Island greats of the harness racing sport in John Butcher, Roy Purdon and now Peter Wolfenden had on the Harness Racing landscape is immense and seeing those fine men competing hard for years/decades,  and then teaching their Son's , Daughters and grand-kids many of the tactics that make them so successful in the competitive Nz harness racing to this day .

Peter Wolfenden MBE , with Cardigan Bay. Still ranked Number One highlight/fav or best horse seen by many racing followers. (first horse in the world to win $1,000,000 in prizemoney) which he did in the 1960's when purses were nothing like they are now. Cardy Put on the road to that immortal accomplishment By Peter. The world's Best. 2 of them togeather. Cardy and Wolfie. well played 🏆

Hear hear Pure mate, well said :rcfe-like: .....and chevy, that's harsh your post; I reckon to his family and close friends this is a bloody sad time regardless of what's happened re the cyclone, yes Wolfie lived 88yrs of life but his passin is none the less felt and downright sad! have a bloody heart....

Cheers Iraklis

Anyone recall the world drivers championship 1975, last race, Wolfenden driving a horse called Nandina Scot, I think, basted broke on the last lap and Keith Addison won the title by a point or two, just a bit of history recall, I would imagine Wolfenden would have competed at more than one drivers champ.

RIP to a iconic driver.

51 minutes ago, Value Bell said:

In 1983 at Hawera Wolfie had won the first five races. Our horse was in race 6. 15 in the field we were 15/15 in the betting. We won by two lenghts going away. Our trainer said we have Tony Herlihy as our driver. I asked who he was. Was told a member of the Purdon dynasty. 

VB,I enjoy taking trips down memory lane.Your memory pretty sharp.

Your horse was rank outsider (in 14 horse field),winning by 2 lengths,paying $41win $11.60place & $405 quinella.Maiden Race with $1050 winners Purse.

Now back to Wolfie.How was this for an 8 day period,including your day at Hawera.

Sat/Alex Park x 2 wins Hilarious Guest & Thriller Dee

Mon/Palmy x 1 win :Wed Palmy x 3 wins :Fri Hawera x 5 wins

Sat/Alex Park x 2 wins *G1 Auckland Cup brilliant Armalight (beating Hilarious Guest) & Thriller Dee again.

Just another week in life of P T Wolfenden.Clocked up the miles.Maiden winner one day at Hawera,Group One at Alex Park the next.

R.I.P. Wolfie. Witnessed his classy driving at Hutt Park ,  Manawatu and Tomoana Showgrounds in Hawkes Bay in the 70's,80's and 90's. What a legend. Had a mate who was an Old School Owner/Trainer who even in recent years would tell me about his regular phone calls from Wolfie just to chew the fat and talk about old times. Was a great guy apparently.

My first start as an owner was at Alex Park with Crystal Dee.   When I arrived at the stables Wolfie came up to me sheepishly and said he was sorry.     I said what for.   He said he hadn''t noticed the race was a mobile and the horse (a squaregaiater) had never been behind the mobile arm in training so not to expect anything.    Ross took her out gently and she got well back.   Turning for home Reg Clapp said "and where's the favourite Crystal Dee?    Oh she's too far back.    A storming finish and we got the victors photo.     First horse ever to the races and a winner!

Wolfie would never say the horse was a certainty.    A quiet she's been working well through the week and  if she gets a clean getaway and if she gets a nice run and if she gets no interference she should finish in the money meant empty your pockets lol.

We remained good friends ever since.     My condolences to Lois and the family on their loss.

2 hours ago, eljay said:

My first start as an owner was at Alex Park with Crystal Dee.   When I arrived at the stables Wolfie came up to me sheepishly and said he was sorry.     I said what for.   He said he hadn''t noticed the race was a mobile and the horse (a squaregaiater) had never been behind the mobile arm in training so not to expect anything.    Ross took her out gently and she got well back.   Turning for home Reg Clapp said "and where's the favourite Crystal Dee?    Oh she's too far back.    A storming finish and we got the victors photo.     First horse ever to the races and a winner!

Wolfie would never say the horse was a certainty.    A quiet she's been working well through the week and  if she gets a clean getaway and if she gets a nice run and if she gets no interference she should finish in the money meant empty your pockets lol.

We remained good friends ever since.     My condolences to Lois and the family on their loss.

She was a good mare Eljay, won a few at the Park from memory.

What a great line that was going back to Marlene Dee and Gay Marlene. Some winners came out of there…Thriller Dee probably the best.

19 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Sorry Team but the death of PT is not sad.Time for some perspective. He has lived a full life of 88 years and had immeasurable success in his chosen harness racing field and hopefully enjoyed a happy and fulfilling retirement with his family and friends.

What is SAD is the loss of 2 volunteer firefighters in their prime with the resultant loss to their wives and children before they could enjoy a long and rewarding family life.

Bask in the memories of what PT turned on for us, but remember we are all mortal. JMO.

Really. Why bother posting.

Here's one for the kiwi's . The master Wolfie himself winning the Interdominion Grand Final. who can remember the horse?

Wolfie still being the last New Zealand Driver (and Nz trained horse) to actually Win the Interdominion Grand Final at the nations premier track at Addington. 

The Aussies have blown you guys out of the water ever since at Addington . Pete at least 'not giving in' to the Aussie supremacy ? 😁😉🇦🇺

1979IDPacersFinal.jpg