RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Palatable

Karaka 2024

Sales time is here again and here are my comments:

* It'll be interesting to see if Karaka follows Magic Millions lead which was down slightly in their average sale price last week

* Again it feels like we just don't have enough Group 1 winning broodmares in the mix. Does make me start to cheer for non-syndicate fillies at the races given they have the best chance of being retained in NZ. Was hard to find too many imported mares from the NH either.

* Watch out for increased demand in two of New Zealand's less celebrated stallions. Both El Roca and Contributer deserve to be considered in our Top 5 now, and showed in the Ready to Run that they could command some dollars.

* Better bargains should be available on the Almanzors with 64 of them catalogued. Satono Aladdin and (arguably) War Decree got the better of him in the 2nd season sires last season, but he's started this year well.

* I go through all the lots and rate the balance and class in the pedigrees. From my review the stallions with the strongest balance with mares came out as Vanbrugh, Embellish and Proisir. At the other end Staphanos, King of Comedy and Wrote.

* Waikato Stud and Windsor Park have bumped up their catalogued volumes nicely this year. Westbury look like the only big stud to have gone in the opposite direction. Time for them to add a fresh new stallion.

* Hard to find a likely salestopper. We do get 1 x I Am Invincible this year and 3 x Snitzels, plus 10 x Wootten Bassetts and 3 x Too Darn Hots. My favourite from an Aussie stallion though would be the #547 Lonhro - Abidewithme....  plenty of Proisirs worthy of attention first though...  

I see the guy from Windsor Park stud saying 3 World Champions had started their lives at his stud. What qualifies a horse as a world champion? Something like Equinox springs to mind. Frankel Winx. 
Usually a world champion comes through a World Series. 
Tough to have a World Series for racing though. So how does a horse go from champion to world champion? 

There seems to be a lot of first foals in Book 1. I have never really looked or took much notice, in previous years, so maybe it is not unusual.

I'm no expert on type but Hello Youmzain seems to leave very well built yearlings --massive rear ends, which hopefully translates into plenty of power.

13 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

I see the guy from Windsor Park stud saying 3 World Champions had started their lives at his stud. What qualifies a horse as a world champion? Something like Equinox springs to mind. Frankel Winx. 
Usually a world champion comes through a World Series. 
Tough to have a World Series for racing though. So how does a horse go from champion to world champion? 

You could argue the highest rated horse on international ratings each year is the world champion. You could further argue that there's a world champion sprinter, miler, middle-distance, stayer, 2yo, 3yo, mare, and so on.

I haven't seen the quote and don't know if he named names, but So You Think stands out off the top of my head. They claim on their website that Might And Power was "World Champion Stayer"; wikipedia says he was named as such but doesn't say who named him that. Was Beauty Flash "World Champion Miler" the year he was Hong Kong Champion Miler?

6 hours ago, Breeder said:

There seems to be a lot of first foals in Book 1. I have never really looked or took much notice, in previous years, so maybe it is not unusual.

I'm no expert on type but Hello Youmzain seems to leave very well built yearlings --massive rear ends, which hopefully translates into plenty of power.

In America they have 'World Series" everything without leaving the country. 

One horse being declared World Champion over another without ever meeting will always be contentious.  

1 hour ago, chiknsmack said:

You could argue the highest rated horse on international ratings each year is the world champion. You could further argue that there's a world champion sprinter, miler, middle-distance, stayer, 2yo, 3yo, mare, and so on.

I haven't seen the quote and don't know if he named names, but So You Think stands out off the top of my head. They claim on their website that Might And Power was "World Champion Stayer"; wikipedia says he was named as such but doesn't say who named him that. Was Beauty Flash "World Champion Miler" the year he was Hong Kong Champion Miler?

Yes mate so You Think and Might and Power  were two of the world champions. And the other was Aerovelocity. 
Champion horses no doubt. I suppose he must have based his world champion status on something. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:16 PM, Palatable said:

Sales time is here again and here are my comments:

* It'll be interesting to see if Karaka follows Magic Millions lead which was down slightly in their average sale price last week

* Again it feels like we just don't have enough Group 1 winning broodmares in the mix. Does make me start to cheer for non-syndicate fillies at the races given they have the best chance of being retained in NZ. Was hard to find too many imported mares from the NH either.

* Watch out for increased demand in two of New Zealand's less celebrated stallions. Both El Roca and Contributer deserve to be considered in our Top 5 now, and showed in the Ready to Run that they could command some dollars.

* Better bargains should be available on the Almanzors with 64 of them catalogued. Satono Aladdin and (arguably) War Decree got the better of him in the 2nd season sires last season, but he's started this year well.

* I go through all the lots and rate the balance and class in the pedigrees. From my review the stallions with the strongest balance with mares came out as Vanbrugh, Embellish and Proisir. At the other end Staphanos, King of Comedy and Wrote.

* Waikato Stud and Windsor Park have bumped up their catalogued volumes nicely this year. Westbury look like the only big stud to have gone in the opposite direction. Time for them to add a fresh new stallion.

* Hard to find a likely salestopper. We do get 1 x I Am Invincible this year and 3 x Snitzels, plus 10 x Wootten Bassetts and 3 x Too Darn Hots. My favourite from an Aussie stallion though would be the #547 Lonhro - Abidewithme....  plenty of Proisirs worthy of attention first though...  

I really like your thoughts.

For the first 3 hours I thought that it started very slowly, almost a bloodbath given the time and efford that the breeders put in. however after that it picked up.

The passing rate was initially huge but I noticed that a few hours later, many of the passed lots had actually found a home.

I think that there have been some bargains go through and for the record I have already approached Michael Freedman/Mick Wallace to see if I can buy into Lot 214.

The stats ended up much much better than the early indications. 
Yes I to thought thought that the Circus Maximus’s would have sold better. 
However, it’s not how they start off selling, it’s how they perform on the track that counts. 

19 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Early days yet but imo the progeny of Circus Maximus haven't been in demand as much as i thought they might be.Could all change.

Is he still standing in the NH or have Windsor Park bought him? He's not at Coolmore anymore.

2 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Is he still standing in the NH or have Windsor Park bought him? He's not at Coolmore anymore.

Haven't seen his names as exported on the NZR site for oct,nov,dec or jan unless i missed it which may suggest he is still in nz

First stood at Coolmoore for 20,000 pound,1st season in nz 20k 2023 season 17.5k

22 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

$30m in Sales a pretty good start TN……:rcfe-like:

Great three days for the top 25 % of Book One.

Congratulations to T Nott's,  and my old mate, Sir John Thompson and his Legal Partners and Rich Hill Stud their families  and staff.And Colin and Irene Thompson

There have been some very quiet years since their purchase of The Wilson farm previously known as Ever Green Stud.

Check Rich Hill's website. They still list " Past Stallions " All of them are listed there. The good the indifferent and ones that were 

But the old adage " Form is temporary ,class is permanent "  certainly is true for John.

And Sir Philip Brown.

Fantastic judgement  by Ancroft Stud mentor Sir Philip Brown has been shown for decades.

His nursery stud hasn't stood a stallion for many years.Much to the relief of Lady Catherine Brown.

He kept enough of the Battle Eve family and Oakville blood and regularly bought a mare or two or specced a yearling .

( Like Legarto for $90k )

Battle Wagon, champion NZ Sire was followed by Oakville ?,  and Battle Eve's son by Balmerino  " King Delamere " .And another Stallion ?

Phil's judgement and belief in Proisir from three and four Years ago came to fruition at Karaka 2024.

Lot 290,  420,  480. 

note The trackside male who interviewed  Phil Brown after one of his recent 2022, Group One successes, 

He asked with that smiley cheesy grin...

" so what does it feel like to breed your first Group  One winner ?".

* point one Phil Bought the Group One Filly at auction.

* point two Phil had Bred a Cox Plate winner , El Segundo, 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:52 PM, Insider said:

I really like your thoughts.

For the first 3 hours I thought that it started very slowly, almost a bloodbath given the time and efford that the breeders put in. however after that it picked up.

The passing rate was initially huge but I noticed that a few hours later, many of the passed lots had actually found a home.

I think that there have been some bargains go through and for the record I have already approached Michael Freedman/Mick Wallace to see if I can buy into Lot 214.

Great job on #412 Insider. I had her earmarked and thought that was one of the bargains of the sale at $100k. You may have to let us know if there is any slice of her left. 

2 minutes ago, Palatable said:

Great job on #412 Insider. I had her earmarked and thought that was one of the bargains of the sale at $100k. You may have to let us know if there is any slice of her left. 

Last I heard there definitely was. At the time, (2 days ago) figures weren’t finalised, because of airfreight etc, but around about A$6000 for 5% was the quoted figure at this stage. 

10 hours ago, Palatable said:

Pally, the reason that I liked the filly [Lot 214] wasn't just because she was by Savabeel, was out of a five times winning O'Reilly mare, was from a good family, was reared on the best farm in NZ, was only a $100K, was going to be trained by Michael Freedman, but that she was chosen by Michael Wallace, one of the best in the business so there can't be too much wrong with her. To name just two that Michael has signed for previously, what about Justify or Russian Revolution?

11 hours ago, Insider said:

Pally, the reason that I liked the filly [Lot 214] wasn't just because she was by Savabeel, was out of a five times winning O'Reilly mare, was from a good family, was reared on the best farm in NZ, was only a $100K, was going to be trained by Michael Freedman, but that she was chosen by Michael Wallace, one of the best in the business so there can't be too much wrong with her. To name just two that Michael has signed for previously, what about Justify or Russian Revolution?

1 hour ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Don't know for sure but i thought it might be HELLO YOUMZAIN

1 hour ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Don't know for sure but i thought it might be HELLO YOUMZAIN

Karaka 2024: Book 1 Leading First Season Sires by Average (three or more sold)

SIRE OFFERED SOLD AVERAGE TOP PRICE TOP LOT
Wootton Bassett* 9 7 $328,571 $800,000 513
Hello Youmzain 38 34 $171,324 $425,000 438
King’s Legacy 8 8 $134,063 $260,000 74
Circus Maximus 32 20 $92,900 $200,000 399
Bivouac 9 7 $89,286 $130,000 307

*First Southern Hemisphere crop