MAJESTIC

WHERE IS J MAC ?

Racenet

MW: It looks inevitable that James McDonald will make a permanent move to Hong Kong in the very near future. He's only 31, has a young family, he can make $4 million-$5 million a year, and work less than he does in Australia. J-Mac isn't the type who'll be content punching home winner after winner for Chris Waller in Sydney for the next decade. Like all great sportspeople, he wants to challenge himself against the best, and the timing is right for a permanent move. There will be plenty of Sydney-based jockeys cheering when it happens.

BD: The clearest sign J-Mac is permanently Hong Kong bound are comments by HKJC chief executive Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges this week. "The good thing is he (J-Mac) feels really at home here. For me, it's only a matter of time," the HKJC boss told the South China Morning Post. You can bet $1.01 that Winfried wouldn't have said that if he didn't have a very good idea it was a sure thing. When J-Mac does set up shop in Honkers, his dancing will be another asset to the Asian racing scene. Did you see him at the Taylor Swift concert? Move over, Fred Astaire.

Another great win on Romantic Warrior tonight. Everything against him and didn't think he was going to be in the top 3 on the turn but really toughed it out.

Then I watched excitedly as they crossed over to a greyhound race from Darwin with 4 runners in it!!!

On 2/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, Pegasus 9 said:

Racenet

MW: It looks inevitable that James McDonald will make a permanent move to Hong Kong in the very near future. He's only 31, has a young family, he can make $4 million-$5 million a year, and work less than he does in Australia. J-Mac isn't the type who'll be content punching home winner after winner for Chris Waller in Sydney for the next decade. Like all great sportspeople, he wants to challenge himself against the best, and the timing is right for a permanent move. There will be plenty of Sydney-based jockeys cheering when it happens.

BD: The clearest sign J-Mac is permanently Hong Kong bound are comments by HKJC chief executive Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges this week. "The good thing is he (J-Mac) feels really at home here. For me, it's only a matter of time," the HKJC boss told the South China Morning Post. You can bet $1.01 that Winfried wouldn't have said that if he didn't have a very good idea it was a sure thing. When J-Mac does set up shop in Honkers, his dancing will be another asset to the Asian racing scene. Did you see him at the Taylor Swift concert? Move over, Fred Astaire.

He will want to get to 100 Group One wins though…on 97 after Romantic Warrior’s win.

Interestingly, on the sports news on 3 tonight, the lead story was about an ex NZer winning a car race in the US. Not all that relevant to many NZers I would have thought. I waited in case they mentioned an ex NZ jockey winning a major horse race in HK. Surprisingly no mention of that story at all. It always surprises that that some sports are considered more relevant than others.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Interestingly, on the sports news on 3 tonight, the lead story was about an ex NZer winning a car race in the US. Not all that relevant to many NZers I would have thought. I waited in case they mentioned an ex NZ jockey winning a major horse race in HK. Surprisingly no mention of that story at all. It always surprises that that some sports are considered more relevant than others.

I am not sticking up for the news on either channel, but I really think that main stream news outlets think that jockeys are 'only the passenger' and the horse is the real hero therefore the jockey's success is irrelevant.  

Add to that, the silent majority are starting to believe that any horse in competition is there against it's will, so should be banned. [Just saying....not agreeing] 

WD the very sad fact is racing is not celebrated in our country these days and the Media add logs to the fire, deliberately.

The media would rather comment on greyhounds dying, INCA or the use of whips in horse racing …. Media know the negative shyte is received better where racing is concerned 

Just the way it is these days

From Racing.com

James McDonald will have a strong chance to continue his winning run this season in Group 1 races after being confirmed as the rider for I Wish I Win in Saturday week’s $1.5 million Doomben 10,000 (1200m) in Brisbane.

McDonald, who claimed another six elite races over the recently finished Sydney autumn carnival, took his first ride on I Wish I Win in the G1 T J Smith Stakes (1200m) at Randwick last month following an injury-ridden lead-up to the race by regular rider Luke Nolen.

Nolen missed more than two months of racing when broke a rib and suffered internal bleeding after a trackwork fall at Pakenham in early February before making a return to riding in late March. 

He has since ridden five winners in the six weeks since his return.

In all, Nolen has ridden I Wish I Win in eight of his Australian starts with Jamie Kah partnering the former Kiwi in his winning debut at Caulfield in August, 2022 before McDonald replaced the injured Nolen for last month’s T J Smith Stakes.

Sportsbet has I Wish I Win as the $3 favourite for the Doomben 10,000. He could then progress to the G1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) in June.