We're Doomed

Let me tell you about my TAB experience

17 posts in this topic

I have had an experience recently that has shown me just how incompetent and arrogant our TAB really is. For various reasons I haven't  used my NZ TAB account for  six or seven weeks. A few weeks ago on a Sunday I received an email and text saying I had a free $10 bet, but I had to use it that day. I had previously had bonus $5 bets to try and encourage me to bet midweek, as I'm sure many of you have. I duly used the $10 on a horse that ran 4th. All good, I had backed losers before. It was a week or so later when I went on line to check some rugby odds that I noticed my account was $10 light. So I emailed the help desk to mention this and got told they had no record of giving me $10 and I had used my own money, and anyhow there is some new convoluted system to activate bonus bets these days. Basically I was just told to fck off. I did mention I wasn't pleased but heard no more from them.

Some two weeks after that exchange I get another offer of a free $10 with four days to use it this time. So I contacted them again to ask if what happened last time is going to happen again this time. I get a response showing zero interest in my last experience and pointing out the new way to look for a bonus bet voucher. Following their instructions I check and there is no hint anywhere in my account of a bonus $10. So basically they are trying to entice me to waste $10 of my own money again. That is virtually fraudulent.

I contrast this with my bank. Last year I was getting mucked around by the person I was dealing with so fired off two emails of complaint to two different people. They both got back to me virtually instantly and couldn't do enough to rectify the situation, giving me more than I wanted. Impeccable customer service.

In contrast, the TAB's approach is to ignore me totally and basically say fck off.

It is worth mentioning that I have probably had that account for close to 30 years, with other accounts before that, and used it virtually every week except when I have been in Australia or France. By a very rough estimate I have probably spent over $1.5m over the years on course, in TABs and through my accounts. Say what you like about banks, but they rate 10/10 for customer service in many respects. In contrast the TAB rates whatever comes below 0/10. I think the absolute arrogance and incompetence that permeates the TAB is indicative of what is happening to the industry as a whole. I think it shows what happens when industries such as Racing are totally run by people with zero interest in the industry. We are seeing that rapidly come to fruition.

I have told them my account won't be used again until they resolve this, but when you are on $200,000 a year until the industry collapses it is clear to see they don't give a stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quote from Thomas Sowell " It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."

Could this apply to the outcomes from the NZ Racing Board appointees over the years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I will double down on the TAB's incompetence and arrogance.

The other week I was restricted on all betting, even on sports I have never bet on. $6.80 maximum win on some markets and $26.80 max win on others.

I emailed the TAB questioning why.

The following day I got an email welcoming me to their elite program... ??? (Way down at the beginnings of bronze tier). All I need to do is bet 5x as much and then I can reap all the benefits of silver tier...

No initial response as to why I was restricted. Emailed them again and finally got an email back a few days later.

" We have restricted your bets based on your recent betting patterns".

Funny that when I was stuck over $7k last year they were always emailing me with free bets. Get back into the red and they don't want to know you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The freebet thing is a disaster. Got the usual email last Friday telling me the good news. Had to be used by Sunday night.

Nothing there all Saturday.....it appeared on Sunday when there were far fewer options.

If you make an error, or change your mind and try to clear the betslip, the freebet disappears......:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recent issue was last night Saturday albeit Rugby match between Stormers and Hurricanes. They advertised if you have a Head to Head bet before the game starts and your selection ends up loosing by 10 points or less you'll get your money back. Well when the teams were running out on to the field I realised the size of the Stormers pack and thought they were going to monster the Hurricanes pack. So because the Stormers were paying $4.70 to win head to head thought it was worth a lazy $10. Was looking good for a while but when they lost I thought well at least I get my $10 back...Looked in the account later in the evening and do you think I got the $10 back.!!! It showed that the bet was placed at 7.36pm which was after the OFFICIAL start time of the game,  but the game had not started (per their advertising of the bet) with the usual mucking around but also with the Christchurch remembrance.

Reading the many issues people have had trying to get answers from the TAB with their issues, I couldn't even be bothered getting in touch myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was paid out on a ‘winning bet’ a fortnight ago in the Chiefs v Canes drawn match. First try scorer bet on DMac. Scored third try, got paid out? Thought it may have been one of those March Madness things (and especially since I can get nowhere near the naughts and crosses thing). 36 mins later there was a payment reversal. I rung the TAB saying fair cop and suggested that given the circumstances, the original investment might be refunded. Lady I spoke to was quite flustered, dealing with ppl like me, and promised someone would contact me within 24hrs with an explanation ........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about others, but the boxed and standard for tri and first 4 is all stuffed for internet players today. They broke a good system for what? Oh yes my mate can make some dosh by doing this??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you can't open an account in store. They are heavily restricting winning players, but don't want leakage. Live betting is useless. A large amount of online sports options are not available in store. You can't even get a rugby straight handicap bet or total points bet in store. Online it is a $1.90/$1.90 market whereas in store it is a "you pick the line" market at $1.90/$1.81 or sometimes as bad $1.90/$1.73. "The TAB, come to our store... we have pokies...". About the only thing that could make it worse would be if they introduced virtual racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 2:57 PM, rdytdy said:

And my TAB manager today told me that you can't open an account there any more. It has to now be done online. 

Great way to attract new customers ….not!!! 

Not supporting the idea of not being able to open in an account in a branch but I wouldnt have thought many people are not opening them in branches these days, the vast majority would be online.  In fact having to go into a branch and verify your id was probably a major deterrent to getting accounts active. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comanche said:

So you can't open an account in store. They are heavily restricting winning players, but don't want leakage. Live betting is useless. A large amount of online sports options are not available in store. You can't even get a rugby straight handicap bet or total points bet in store. Online it is a $1.90/$1.90 market whereas in store it is a "you pick the line" market at $1.90/$1.81 or sometimes as bad $1.90/$1.73. "The TAB, come to our store... we have pokies...". About the only thing that could make it worse would be if they introduced virtual racing.

The machines also quite regularly seem to freeze on the sports options. I’m guessing it’s sometging to do with linking in with the new system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tonkatime said:

Not supporting the idea of not being able to open in an account in a branch but I wouldnt have thought many people are not opening them in branches these days, the vast majority would be online.  In fact having to go into a branch and verify your id was probably a major deterrent to getting accounts active. 

Not so according to the TAB manager. She said they turned a number away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, We're Doomed said:

I have had an experience recently that has shown me just how incompetent and arrogant our TAB really is. For various reasons I haven't  used my NZ TAB account for  six or seven weeks. A few weeks ago on a Sunday I received an email and text saying I had a free $10 bet, but I had to use it that day. I had previously had bonus $5 bets to try and encourage me to bet midweek, as I'm sure many of you have. I duly used the $10 on a horse that ran 4th. All good, I had backed losers before. It was a week or so later when I went on line to check some rugby odds that I noticed my account was $10 light. So I emailed the help desk to mention this and got told they had no record of giving me $10 and I had used my own money, and anyhow there is some new convoluted system to activate bonus bets these days. Basically I was just told to fck off. I did mention I wasn't pleased but heard no more from them.

Some two weeks after that exchange I get another offer of a free $10 with four days to use it this time. So I contacted them again to ask if what happened last time is going to happen again this time. I get a response showing zero interest in my last experience and pointing out the new way to look for a bonus bet voucher. Following their instructions I check and there is no hint anywhere in my account of a bonus $10. So basically they are trying to entice me to waste $10 of my own money again. That is virtually fraudulent.

I contrast this with my bank. Last year I was getting mucked around by the person I was dealing with so fired off two emails of complaint to two different people. They both got back to me virtually instantly and couldn't do enough to rectify the situation, giving me more than I wanted. Impeccable customer service.

In contrast, the TAB's approach is to ignore me totally and basically say fck off.

It is worth mentioning that I have probably had that account for close to 30 years, with other accounts before that, and used it virtually every week except when I have been in Australia or France. By a very rough estimate I have probably spent over $1.5m over the years on course, in TABs and through my accounts. Say what you like about banks, but they rate 10/10 for customer service in many respects. In contrast the TAB rates whatever comes below 0/10. I think the absolute arrogance and incompetence that permeates the TAB is indicative of what is happening to the industry as a whole. I think it shows what happens when industries such as Racing are totally run by people with zero interest in the industry. We are seeing that rapidly come to fruition.

I have told them my account won't be used again until they resolve this, but when you are on $200,000 a year until the industry collapses it is clear to see they don't give a stuff.

just open an aussie tab account 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now