RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
RacingPearl

New Senior Hanidcapper required

9 hours ago, Insider said:

There are 3 or 4 over on the other channel that would “cut the mustard” or so they think.

Just saying 😅

Liz

Your taking the whole complement given the multi name scenario that operates there😋

14 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Your taking the whole complement given the multi name scenario that operates there😋

Oh Flashy, that's a bit harsh. I have a very similar name in each place. My memory would never cope with remembering multiple different names.

Most of the people on these sites do mean well. The industry would be in bigger trouble if no one was interested enough to comment. There are some quite intelligent people that comment on here.

32 minutes ago, Insider said:

Really!!

Yes he was, there are no multi name users on the site I  part own.

A site you seem happy to post on. Rather interesting that you choose a completely different name there and seem to prefer a female persona on here.

Whatever floats your boat.

I have become quite concerned about the handicaps set for open handicaps.

I will endeavour to set my handicaps for he the two open races at Riverton, next week.  Your criticisms of what I put will be eagerly awaited.  Basically, if everybody moans then the handicapper has got it right.

1 minute ago, nomates said:

Yes , but does he think weight differential makes a diff in a race , if not then no point .

Thanks for your confidence Nerula but I agree with nomates. Not that I don't think that weight differential can make a difference, but that the amount that handicappers have to play with here is insignificant and has no chance of creating proper handicaps. A very good former NZTR senior handicapper told me the same thing, but then moved on to greener pastures.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Thanks for your confidence Nerula but I agree with nomates. Not that I don't think that weight differential can make a difference, but that the amount that handicappers have to play with here is insignificant and has no chance of creating proper handicaps. A very good former NZTR senior handicapper told me the same thing, but then moved on to greener pastures.

That summed up the way I feel about it in a nutshell.

15 minutes ago, Pete Lane said:

That summed up the way I feel about it in a nutshell.

The sad thing is that NZTR on one hand go on and on about declining starter numbers and declining foal crops and seem to think that increasing stakes from any pot of gold they can find is the answer, when that strategy has failed to make any difference for decades now. Yet, they show no inclination to fix the handicapping system and give the handicappers a tool to work with that would keep horses in work earning more wagering revenue etc.

42 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

They show no inclination to fix the system because they don't think it needs fixing.  Wasn't so long ago there was a handicapping review where weights - in certain circumstances - were compressed even further.

Does weight carried make a difference Pam? 

and I’m not being flippant - just a few different views expressed on this and I’m interested in the view of someone in the business.

23 hours ago, Leggy said:

Dean Knowles?

3 hours ago, say no more said:

Does weight carried make a difference Pam? 

and I’m not being flippant - just a few different views expressed on this and I’m interested in the view of someone in the business.

Can do.  But very much an individual matter, horses are not peas in a pod.  Some may not be able to perform at their best above a certain impost, others don't seem to be fazed at all.

There's no doubt that the weights allocated and carried decades ago did matter...but that's when handicaps were, well, handicaps.

30 minutes ago, Leggy said:

No. I thought you weren't replying to me any more?

Yes Leggy, you are 100% correct. 

I have a self imposed 7 day ban starting last Monday evening, and  damn it, I have come back two days early.

Not good enough on my behalf.

38 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Can do.  But very much an individual matter, horses are not peas in a pod.  Some may not be able to perform at their best above a certain impost, others don't seem to be fazed at all.

There's no doubt that the weights allocated and carried decades ago did matter...but that's when handicaps were, well, handicaps.

absolutely agree - with the current weights based on points system it is not an even playing field.

A lightly framed horse will have more trouble with 6 points than a solid horse.

38 minutes ago, Insider said:

Yes Leggy, you are 100% correct. 

I have a self imposed 7 day ban starting last Monday evening, and  damn it, I have come back two days early.

Not good enough on my behalf.

Please don't feel you have to reply, but FYI it was Brett Scelley a decade ago who told me that he needed at least an 8-9kg spread to effectively handicap within the rating bands. That was at a meeting in Petone because NZTR had asked me to analyse the impact of the handicapping changes that had occurred following the Mark Webbey review a couple of years earlier, which we did pro bono.

What we found then pretty much concurred with his thinking. This from the summary of that report.

"The analysis clearly shows both that higher weighted horses are significantly outperforming lower weighted ones, and that females are significantly out performing males."

My current data says that the situation has worsened if anything. Not a great way to create competitive racing that will build wagering revenue.