Insider

I've been thinking....

1 hour ago, Shad said:

I've been thinking, was a quote or a book  from a former politician, rings a bell somewhere, with the demise of news hub and tv1 one big losses, maybe be all staff including news readers presenters ect , more than likely be on huge salaries, can take a big pay cut, after all the ole tax payer be propping them up, one presenter on 7 sharp be plenty I reckon,

Richard Prebble 

You might also remember that Michael Guerin and Mike McRoberts co-hosted the evening in honour of David Ellis.     Pretty hard to do that if you don't know anything about racing.

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

You might also remember that Michael Guerin and Mike McRoberts co-hosted the evening in honour of David Ellis.     Pretty hard to do that if you don't know anything about racing.

Hosted what evening? And what does that have to do with this thread?

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

HI Leggy, we are talking about potential folk from Newhub that could be beneficial to the racing scene as front persons.      I take it you have read the thread?

Yes, I have. Are Guerin and McRoberts newshub employees?

6 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Yes, I have. Are Guerin and McRoberts newshub employees?

Ooh you've updated your response.    Mike McRoberts fronts TV3 news and yes I believe he could be someone that NZ racing/Entain could employ .. he speaks well, researches well, is trusted, is socially interactive/attractive and as I said.. he reminds me of Phillip Leishman, who was just such a gentleman.

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Stepping a little sideways Gruff, instead of crying about losing their jobs, why don't some of the well paid mouthpieces buy the company from WB and carry on themselves? Or do they not have any confidence in their own business acumen.

They would have to have rocks in their head.  If a multinational like WB-Discovery can’t tolerate annual losses of more than $20m, why on earth would a bunch of most likely woefully undercapitalised journos (not businessmen) try to go it alone?  They would go down the dunny in a matter of months.  We’re not living in the 1950s.

1 minute ago, Leggy said:

Well that was 7 years ago and I don't see what it has to do with current Newshub employees nor help me think that either Guerin or McRoberts know much about racing.

Okay.. you are welcome to your thoughts and beliefs.. I dont agree but then that is what forums are all about :)   We all have our own experiences and perceptions :) 

3 hours ago, Shad said:

maybe be all staff including news readers presenters ect , more than likely be on huge salaries, can take a big pay cut

Next you'll be thinking it's a good idea for staff in all the councils proposing massive rates hikes to be accepting pay cuts as well.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

I've been thinking, was a quote or a book  from a former politician, rings a bell somewhere, with the demise of news hub and tv1 one big losses, maybe be all staff including news readers presenters ect , more than likely be on huge salaries, can take a big pay cut, after all the ole tax payer be propping them up, one presenter on 7 sharp be plenty I reckon,

Good point, cut the salaries and make it pay.

Assuming that they all still get something reasonable to live on AND if it still can't work then and only then, close it down.

Isn't that how the free market works?

Well that's how it works in the two industries that I am involved in....horse breeding and art materials.

6 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Next you'll be thinking it's a good idea for staff in all the councils proposing massive rates hikes to be accepting pay cuts as well.

Different. 

They are a service provider [Councils], not a "for profit" organisation like Warner Brows owned Newshub.

30 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ooh you've updated your response.    Mike McRoberts fronts TV3 news and yes I believe he could be someone that NZ racing/Entain could employ .. he speaks well, researches well, is trusted, is socially interactive/attractive and as I said.. he reminds me of Phillip Leishman, who was just such a gentleman.

Chestnut, you have given your age away mentioning my friend the late Phillip Leishman.

He was the sort of quality [hopefully]  that can be picked up from the demise of Newshub.

Remember everyone, the great Phillip Leishman was from  NZ Broadcasting, the Government owned public service. So he was properly trained, not some scruffy kid given a chance because there is no way that they could make it elsewhere or in the main stream, which is what some of them appear to be, especially with their diction.

I rest my case! 

1 hour ago, Bimbo said:

Well look, some of these people are receiving big salaries, while the rest of us battle the standard or minimum wage, during a cost of living crisis, most of the councils are broke anyway, won't be many not proposing big rate rises, maybe they should be paid on performance, like racing and politicians, way to top heavy, in my opinion, all clipping the ticket, not to mention the money spent on consultants, there's another can of worms.

13 hours ago, Leggy said:

Hosted what evening? And what does that have to do with this thread?

Leggy I do not agree with you either Mike McRoberts is a professional and yes he did host an evening in honour of DE, so that obviously was requiring some knowledge of racing....and why is it not possible for him as a professional to not learn about the position he is employed to do should racing be so lucky as to gain a professional like Mike from the train wreck of Newshub. He would be one of less than a handful the TAB has on board now and that is being extremely generous with the use of professional associated with anyone presenting on trackside, including Guerin and co...JMO. Take your blinkers off and think outside the box for once...do they teach you to be so negative in the teaching profession. or are you just always like this???

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Leggy I do not agree with you either Mike McRoberts is a professional and yes he did host an evening in honour of DE, so that obviously was requiring some knowledge of racing....and why is it not possible for him as a professional to not learn about the position he is employed to do should racing be so lucky as to gain a professional like Mike from the train wreck of Newshub. He would be one of less than a handful the TAB has on board now and that is being extremely generous with the use of professional associated with anyone presenting on trackside, including Guerin and co...JMO. Take your blinkers off and think outside the box for once...do they teach you to be so negative in the teaching profession. or are you just always like this???

Definitely the last bit .

2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

I agree with you. Just don't think that a co-presentation 7 years ago is much help to support the case.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

I agree with you. Just don't think that a co-presentation 7 years ago is much help to support the case.

I think Chestnut was merely pointing out he had some link to racing... a fair point after all everyone is entitled to their opinion...

8 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

I think Chestnut was merely pointing out he had some link to racing... a fair point after all everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Yes. Fair enough. Someone like that would also be valuable in the role as a trainer and mentor of younger presenters.