RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
stodge

News from the North(ern) Hemisphere

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

In my opinion both are good and valued posters,  can say what they like, does not mean that either one is 100% correct all the time, that is for the rest of the readers and posters to decide...both of them have a point of view and both are very welcome to post their opinions here whether they are seen to be right or wrong by others.

Noted, but one of them has serious international credibility, he’s connected across the globe, and all he did was make a 💯 correct observation about a high profile horse, then he got coruscated for it …scorched….for no reason other than that he knew more than the “cut and paste” dude 

I got the same treatment when I quite innocently referenced the same global participant about a minor unimportant matter, purely because I knew of his expertise in the field 

It seems to me that a “cut and paste” expert now decides who can comment on what…despite the fact he’s done nothing ( known ) of note in the UK …and if he isn’t given number 1 status about all matters pertaining to NH racing he acts like a tantrum throwing spoilt child 

I read what he writes, and it’s my view that his knowledge of tracks etc is very limited and not worth reading, usually he’s just wrong about track / race nuances etc …his knowledge of active horses is quite good though so credit where it’s due there although I suspect 99% of his knowledge is straight from the Racing Post or Sporting Life, rather than actual experience 

Personally I think everyone is entitled to their opinion here, even the absolute nillers and saddle sniffers like Tommo and Sunloonchild, but from recent events involving BerriFruit and Tasman Man I’m starting to wonder if the bias is now toward the groupies, the saddle sniffing nillers who’ve done nothing of note, at the expense of those who’ve actually managed to achieve significantly at the highest level in racing, mostly in Australasia, but in some cases across the globe 

If you doubt my view let’s agree that the “cut and paste” expert can present his credentials, hopefully he’s done something of note, BerriFruit can do the same, ditto Tasman Man, then let’s see who should be telling who what to do in this zoo 

Let’s start with who’s done what in and around the Melbourne Cup, seeing as it’s our hemispheres highest profile race 

Just my thoughts Scooby, but as usual I’m correct 

No need for any of this...everyone can decide who is right and who is wrong in any situation if you dont like what Stodge has to say everyone can make up their own opinion...just as they can with Berri...but Berri is not always right and Stodge is not also...yes I know of Berris history in the game...which is a lot...but he is still not the only one with a correct opinion all the time...Stodge is welcome to post his info as he has done for many months, and I am sure a lot take a lot of info out of it. Berri can also choose to post his opinions as well but neither should be decrying the others opinion from now on...lets keep the sand box a happy place for all to play in...can we all move on now...cheers.

There's every reason for this discussion. This site was developed by three people...Dave, Ang with me providing a small amount of funding at a crucial time. This site was to allow racing people to access racing information around the globe and for people to have a voice. At the time, New Zealand racing publications reported sweet but nothing news on international races and the NZ racing bureaucrats continuously shut any narrative down.

It shouldn't be up to you Scobie to keep telling people to move on because you are starting to do it more often, and often when you're trying to shut something down incorrectly. It's all well and good to be a moderator because things can get out of control. I was around when we discussed the first parameters of moderation. The type of dictation you are using isn't moderation. It's a creep forwards to some kind of narrative censorship and that's not right.

Look....I was polite to Stodgie, I apologised before I told him that he reported incorrectly that Luxembourg was going for the Champion Stakes and not the Arc. Had you been in the UK and stated that, you would have been laughed out of Dodge because ALL reports had the horse going to the Arc AND the bookmakers had him as favourite!!. It was too big a mistake not to pull it up. This ill reporting has happened on a number of occasions but in most instances I thought what the hell.

It's not caustic, or a pissing competition carried out by an Old Woman (as you put it). It was a factual rebuttal that didn't require your input. If Stodgie wants to be inaccurate, he should get slaughtered for it. That's the rules.

And if you want to ban me for being accurate, without becoming personal in any way, then I will leave my contributions out of this site. You should also not beyond reproach. That way everyone will know the integrity of this site doesn't have a Jacinda or Putin feel of control in respect of freedoms of speech and opinion....as long as they are done respectfully.

No worries ...I will moderate the site as I see fit as it is me who fronts up week after week to pay toe costs of running this place...around 10K a year. Berri I appreciate your posts mostly in this instance I dont and I think Stodge is entitled to his opinion too...anyway you chose to do what you want...its your choice in the end of the day.I try to be fair here but I won't let things be said here I dont agree with or won't be told how to run something that I fund and do as a service for everyone to enjoy so If I have a few requests how is that so bad, happy for you to take it over should you wish...happy to discuss anything...otherwise sorry but it is me who funds this and I have the full right to have my say too...I felt the way that you approached commenting on his version of the race was not correct so I mentioned it.If you dont like my moderation of the site the way I see fit well I am sorry but I do not have to answer to you.

Lost count of the number of times Scooby said everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I'm with Scooby on that one.  I enjoy reading Stodge's posts just as i enjoy reading Berri's posts.  Both have increased my interest in northern hemisphere racing.

All of this he said, she said nonsense and the big noting stuff about who has achieved what in racing is puerile in my opinion.

I have no idea who Stodge is or what they've achieved in racing or life, but it makes no difference to my enjoyment of their posts.

Moving on to the weekend in the UK and after the feast it's more than a hint of famine as quantity reigns over quality.

Ayr stages its big handicap, the 1200m Gold Cup, with a maximum field of 25. The consolation Silver Cup also has 25. Tomorrow sees the Bronze Cup which also has 25 - they've not yet considered running a Tin or Paper Cup but both would probably fill.

Newbury stages the only real quality this weekend - the Group 2 Mill Reef over 1200m for the juvenile colts. Mill Reef was a superb racehorse and in 1971 won the Derby, King George and Arc. He had the misfortune some might say of being in the same generation as one Brigadier Gerard who beat him in the 2000 Guineas.

It's unlikely any of Saturday's runners will approach those heights - Persian Force was taken out this morning leaving just seven and the favourite ante post is SAKHEER from the Varian stable who of course had the Leger winner last Sunday. SAKHEER won impressively on very quick ground at Haydock and assuming that hasn't left a mark he should go very close for all this is his first venture into Pattern company.

SHOULDHAVEBEENARING brings the experience and arguably the form to the race having won three out of four starts. After winning a valuable sales race at York he won the listed juvenile race at Ripon over the August Bank Holiday. It's a fair race but Listed to Group 2 is a jump. 

It's not an easy race to call - I quite like the once-raced HEROISM from the Clive Cox yard who did it well at Salisbury on debut. As we're below the dead eight, the each way margin isn't really there but at 9/1 it's not the worst bet ever.

Elsewhere, MODERN GAMES and FINEST SOUND fly the flag for the UK at Woodbine in the £350,000 Mile. The former chased home a certain Baaeed in the Sussex and it's unlikely he'll meet anything of that calibre in Toronto.

Next weekend sees the first of the series of Newmarket autumn meetings with the Cheveley Park and Middle Park the championship races on the 24th.

Some of us have had our turn at funding this site so you're not alone of that front. It's a great opportunity to voice opinion, concern and information. It should never become an edict based site where opinion, that is respectfully given, is directed inappropriately.  This would lead to this sites in effectivity and demise. 

Stodgie....keep going but be accurate. BTW...Do you own horses?

4 hours ago, Berri said:

Some of us have had our turn at funding this site so you're not alone of that front. It's a great opportunity to voice opinion, concern and information. It should never become an edict based site where opinion, that is respectfully given, is directed inappropriately.  This would lead to this sites in effectivity and demise. 

Stodgie....keep going but be accurate. BTW...Do you own horses?

Does it matter if he does or does not???He has messaged me and he has been a lover of racing over his whole life and he enjoys writing and expressing his opinions about it...good on him I say. Berri I will continue to run the site as I see fit as long as I pay for your pleasure to use it...after all it is my right...is it not??? Its not about you having your turn, is it then that gives you the right to behave like you do when someone posts an opinion you dont agree with, you could have done it in a nicer way here in this instance, just as you could have commented differently on the presenter you had a go at in another thread. 

Now I am sure will want to try to have the last word on things as that seems to be you.

25 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Does it make a difference to you if he has or has not raced a horse/ horses to his opinions??

Of course it does

When I’m watching rugby I typically want top ex players commenting 

When I’m watching cricket I typically want top ex players commenting 

Every niller has a right to their opinion, but if you’re going to proclaim your expertise in a certain field you should simultaneously declare your credentials…..otherwise you’re just another Tommo aren’t you ?

That’s how life works isn’t it ?

It’s not an unreasonable expectation …it’s all about credibility surely 

I dont agree the guy has been involved in racing all his life and has a passion for it...he posts a lot of useful info if some dont like it then they dont have to read it...the guy in my opinion adds value here and will keep on posting his opinions on English racing...it does not mean he is right but he has every right to his opinions.I don't believe he has said anywhere he is an expert...just someone with an opinion.

56 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Of course it does

When I’m watching rugby I typically want top ex players commenting 

When I’m watching cricket I typically want top ex players commenting 

Every niller has a right to their opinion, but if you’re going to proclaim your expertise in a certain field you should simultaneously declare your credentials…..otherwise you’re just another Tommo aren’t you ?

That’s how life works isn’t it ?

It’s not an unreasonable expectation …it’s all about credibility surely 

Credibility? Interesting concept that Leo.

Looks like a bunch of people on here who like reading Stodge's posts and a couple who appear to want everyone to acknowledge their greater knowledge and prowess (and financial contribution to this site?).   Well done Berri and poundforpound - your achievements in racing are greater than mine.

Now I can get back to enjoying Stodge's posts and my "niller" life.

Used to work with a guy, and at the start of every meeting we would all acknowledge that he was the smartest guy in the room so he didn't have to spend the whole meeting trying to prove it.

2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Does it make a difference to you if he has or has not raced a horse/ horses to his opinions??

You've got a problem going on Scooby. I say something literally and you get chippy. What's going on? I ask many people whether they race horses or not. It's sort of like saying do you like skiing or fishing. There were no additional inflections in the question as it was a simple question. Where it becomes a problem is that you Scooby seem to be standing in attempting to be a filter. Why not let Stoodgie answer for himself? That wasn't a question for you so stay out of it. You've decided to couple together Stoodgie's opinions, and somehow leveraging their voracity with whether he races horses or not. That's a fundamentally flawed tactic as that wasn't the intention but you read it as being so. So you are in a defensive mode, when you should simply be acting as a moderator. If you wish to get involved in the commentary, then you will have to play under the rule book of conflictual chat site mode. Quite simple really. 

I haven't changed my persona on this site for ever. I use my actual name as I don't want to think of hiding behind a pseudo name. I don't mind getting slaughtered if I'm wrong. That's the game...and the fun of it...always has been ...always will be. This site is everything that society is. It's a moderated chat site with all sorts of conflicted personalities giving all sorts of weird and wonderful opinions. Conflict is good. It makes things interesting and unfortunately the frequency of use by interested parties on this site is waning and you should be looking very closely at that because the beast might die if you make it too difficult to create conflict.

It isn't a boast that at one stage I provided some funds to this site when it was in its infancy. That was simply a statement because you decided to tell me that because you paid for everything, you call it. I don't decry that. That's your prerogative, but that's not the sort of language a moderator should use as it is a form of censorship.

I'm quite happy to bunk out and not contribute to this site any further, so just say the word. But if I do continue to make comment, it will be as it has been done in the past. If you offer comment, and not be a moderator, then you will be responded to with the same energy and vigor as anyone else...whether you pay for the upkeep of this site or not. 

My end of the bargain  will be to try and be respectful. On occasion I might find that extremely difficult but them's the breaks.

If you are respectful to posters then we will never have an issue...end of story...thats all this is about...I replied for Stodge as messaged me privately...he will still continue to post his informative information posts..which I am happy about and if you respect his views or disagree decently...there will never be any issue between you and I as for over the past years I have owned this we normally never cross swords I just happen to think a couple of times including this one you were a little rude the way you addressed your issues...which is my prerogative to have an input into that either as owner or moderator and that won't change...lets hope we can all let this lie now...cheers.I also note in your post that you still are being disrespectful to Stodge, with the way you address him.I can assure you Berri the beast as you call it is far from dying ..but thanks for the care and concern from you.Please try to be respectful to other posters and you and I will be fine if not I will continue to chip as I see fit.

But the point of this Scooby is that I DID respond respectfully. How can you say I didn't?!?!...and there was the start of the issue. And if I hurt Stoodgie's feelings because he was incorrectly reporting an important issue....tough. I won't name call him as I would normally do....I'll be a compliant PC orientated, but oppressed, contributor....but don't expect me to fall into that PC line when rubbish is being expounded....now that's what I call an old woman approach who wants to have the last word.

3 hours ago, Berri said:

But the point of this Scooby is that I DID respond respectfully. How can you say I didn't?!?!...and there was the start of the issue. And if I hurt Stoodgie's feelings because he was incorrectly reporting an important issue....tough. I won't name call him as I would normally do....I'll be a compliant PC orientated, but oppressed, contributor....but don't expect me to fall into that PC line when rubbish is being expounded....now that's what I call an old woman approach who wants to have the last word.

Surely calling him Stoodgie is name calling?

OK I have tried to be fair on this from the beginning Berri it was not your assessment of the race that was wrong and if you had left it at that no issues from me or anyone but then you last bit which I note you never seem to mention about telling him you've got to read the races better, like a school principal schooling his student, that was why I jumped in and would again if you did the same again, but then you leave that bit out in your next post, hmm wonder why. But this is my last post on this its Stodge's thread and if you want to read what he says its totally up to you.

You have had your say how you think the site is being run wrongly, so just do yourself a favour and dont look at this thread if it makes you so upset....I try my best to be fair to all here but I won't be called out for knowing someone I dont even have a clue who he is and I won't be called out by you anymore either as I said treat other posters with respect like you want, and then there will be no issue...if you continue the way you are there will be.Please now can we just let this thread get back to the endless reams of information it was.