RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

Flag

22 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

And this from someone who supports Donald Trump........:rolleyes:

Hey Hoka, isn't it exciting, the Don wins the Republican nom, then the Presidency, and we get to keep the flag with the beautiful Union Jack in the corner. We live in exciting times.

21 hours ago, biff said:

Ahh but Mr Heap, never forget, without the British we wouldn't be here in the first place. God Save the Queen.

Re your comment above Biff, I was referring to this post.

The British have fucked up so many Countries around the World in the past, I doubt the many thousands who were sent out there for piffling reasons would give them the credit you do....having been to Port Arthur and places like it, I can see why.

Aussie is a true cosmopolitan mix now as you say, and only a matter of time before their flag reflects that identity.

I'm presuming that if a change was mooted over there, you wouldn't support it....??

Cat receives letter from Electoral Commission

A letter addressed to Tiana Lyes' cat Chairman Meow was sent by the Electoral Commission asking the feline to sign up to vote. Photo / Twitter, @Tweet_Ti

Voting may be a universal right, but an Auckland cat owner was surprised when her four-legged companion was sent a Government reminder to enrol.

A letter addressed to Tiana Lyes' cat Chairman Meow was sent by the Electoral Commission asking the feline to sign up to vote.

Ms Lyes tweeted her bewilderment at the notice, asking, "Why did my cat get a letter from the Electoral Commission?"

Tonight, the tweet had been liked 548 times and retweeted by 477 people.

Ms Lyes assumed the letter was sent to her pet because the vet sends mail directly to Chairman Meow and their address had recently changed.

But the moggy is unable to respond to the invitation to enrol - he is missing.

Ms Lyes tweeted that she hoped the exposure would help to bring Chairman Meow back home.

She said she was surprised at the popularity of her post about the "bizarre" letter.

"Cats just get a good run on social media, I guess, and to see people around the world posting about this weird letter to my cat is pretty funny.

"I've had a lot of good feedback. Some people have even asked to use his name, which is great - share the love, I say."

She hopes Chairman Meow's newfound fame will help to convince him to return home, although she suspects he may be living up to his political namesake.

"He's probably just rounding up other cats or stockpiling food for the big revolution, I'm sure."

CZb6h0SUUAAKkZG.jpg

We reliably heard that over this last weekend someone, or some people, placed a large number of the existing New Zealand flags in the berms all the way up St Stephens Avenue in Parnell, Auckland, where the Prime Minister John Key lives.

We understand some have also attached the existing flag in recent times to power poles.( Clearly they have climbed on wheelie bins, or on a vehicle to do this used a ladder)

It's a shame that this wasn't reported and shown in the mainstream media as it would've looked spectacular and it's great to hear, via Bush Telegraph that some are getting into what should be The Spirit of New Zealand.

Our reliable sources have also informed us a large percentage of his neighbours in the street and around his

neighborhood, his business associates and supporters are quite happy for the existing flag to remain as our national flag.

It's a known fact Mr Key has in the last 6 or so weeks been said to say  "I quite like the Monarchy" ;)

The question is will he vote now for the existing New Zealand flag, as it is after all Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday this year, a significant milestone in her and The Royal families lives, as it wouldn't be a good look to vote against it if he wants an invite to her celebrations, would he???

We are surprised there hasn't been rumblings and questions asked of him about this by some of those in the media.

How long will it take him to take the alternative flag down off his gate, should it not win ?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/golf/77826942/new-zealand-call-in-prime-minister-john-key-for-celebrity-challenge-at-nz-open

Prime Minister John Key draped in current flag at NZ Open

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key wears the New Zealand flag after Ricky Ponting pulls it out on the first tee during ...
Andrew Cornaga / www.photosport.nz

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key wears the New Zealand flag after Ricky Ponting pulls it out on the first tee during the ANZ Challenge in the New Zealand Open at The Hills in Arrowtown.

Does NZ have a history of referendum voting papers being stolen? I have heard about sporadic examples over the decades but nothing as widespread as what's occurring now with the flag voting papers.

This referendum is a different ball game. We've had our voting papers stolen as has almost every house on our street and the streets either side. I've spoken to friends in the Takapuna,Browns Bay,Glenfield and Torbay areas and have been told of many examples of voting form thefts. If you haven't had yours stolen the chances are you know someone that has.

From where I sit,it's the pro change lobby behind these thefts. The people voting for the status quo are reportedly heading for a comfortable victory in the referendum according to previous polls etc. They are not desperate and appear to be all about integrity. Stealing the votes of others just does not fit with that ethos. Why steal voting papers that were probably going to vote in your favour?

The pro change lobby on the other hand have been working overtime. Some 'independent' Australian ffs took out a very expensive advertisement in the NZ Herald promoting changing the flag allegedly because that will help Australia dump their flag later down the track. In a pigs ear. That is more than ironic as John Key supporter and New Zealander of the year Richie McCaw just happened to join in the debacle recently stating he wanted change because our flag is to similar to the Australians.

How many private Kiwi's devoid of bias would pay big money out of their own pocket to advertise in a major Australian metropolitan newspaper to try and influence their referendum on the off chance it may assist our own at some later time? I'd pick the number was somewhere around zero.

This flag debacle has been a divisive "them and us" situation which unfortunately is something this Government has become well known for.

I prefer the flag to stay the same. Whatever happens I don't feel the money that has been spent on it can possibly be justified when there are so many other areas especially in the health sector etc that are suffering due to under funding. The actions of John Key loudly state he feels the flag is more important than what's happening in most NZ Hospitals to many Kiwi's on a daily basis. Does he even give a monkey's toss about that or is it just not sexy enough for him? Unfortunately most Kiwi's only find that out the hard way akin to when you need the police after your home is burgled.

Looking forward very much to this "referendum" being done and dusted. 

the stealing of voting papers is wide spread..and is the 'work' of the pro-change faction., like the young Nats vector for example.,

i believe it to be the 'work' of younger voters filling the papers in..ticking the Change-box

Easy to combat.    Just tell the commission yours have been stolen and if i is filled out by one of the idiots, then it would be cancelled - whether they could track down the offender I'm buggered if I know but by cancelling the original issued to you would mean the offenders efforts would be in vain.     They would re-issue you with a voting form.

In regards to the information floating around of Flag voting papers been stolen from letterboxes, there are people who these days have there own home CCTV/ security systems in place that may have picked up footage of whomever is doing this.

Simple solution, ask around and see if those that have it can go through there camera footage.

Police ask and use this medium these days so there's  no reason others can't do the same and hand the footage over to Police/ authorities to investigate further, couldn't they?

Relevant Legislation may be in here re Postal Theft

Postal Services Act 1998

Public Act 1998 No 2
Date of assent 18 March 1998
Commencement see section 1(2)

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0002/latest/whole.html

2 minutes ago, meomy said:

In regards to the information floating around of Flag voting papers been stolen from letterboxes, there are people who these days have there own home CCTV/ security systems in place that may have picked up footage of whomever is doing this.

Simple solution, ask around and see if those that have it can go through there camera footage.

Police ask and use this medium these days so there's  no reason others can't do the same and hand the footage over to Police/ authorities to investigate further, couldn't they?

Relevant Legislation may be in here re Postal Theft

Postal Services Act 1998

Public Act 1998 No 2
Date of assent 18 March 1998
Commencement see section 1(2)

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0002/latest/whole.html

Sounds good meomy but realistically what hope do you have of gaining Police involvement in the real world? I know of two people, who's houses were burgled in Auckland in the last 12 months. One was told that unfortunately there would be no Police attendance at the property concerned and the other was just as farcical. A single young Police Officer arrived at the property four days after the burglary with notebook in hand. No fingerprints were taken. Informed the victim to install a burglar alarm and that he should keep better track of the serial numbers on the appliances stolen in the burglary. Also told the victim there was very little hope of solving the crime. That statement is conclusively proven in the stats. Was upfront enough to state that property crime is a low priority.

I know a family who lost their teenage daughter to cancer. Two days after her funeral, several young drunken thugs were walking past their property and decided to jump all over her car which was subsequently written off. This scene was witnessed by two neighbours who rang the Police and gave them descriptions of all four offenders along with their direction of travel. The Police were unable to attend and 20 minutes later and a third phone call was made from an elderly lady who had just witnessed the same louts uproot her letterbox and throw it into a nearby creek. Still no Police attendance.

I recently spoke to a neighbour about an experience he had with the Police. His house was burgled. Among the items stolen were two credit cards. One of those credit cards was used at a nearby service station on the afternoon of the burglary. He gave that information to the Police and requested an officer attend the service station and uplift CCTV coverage of the offender (s). Police informed him they had no available staff and advised him to uplift the video coverage himself. This is a man who has served his country and never been on the wrong side of the law. He's has paid all his taxes for 35 years.  He went to the service station himself and was told that only the Police could uplift the video coverage and the Police know that. Eventually after numerous phone calls etc etc etc the service station handed over a one frame grainy shot of a man that good have been Father Christmas but then again he could have been Kunta Kinte.

Still think the Police would devote time and resources to voting form thefts from letterboxes? I hope you're right meomy but I'm not so confident. 

From 2011

http://www.times.co.nz/news/voting-packs-stolen.html

Voting packs stolen

Thursday, 12 May 2011
E-mail Print

• Howick and Pakuranga Times

HUNDREDS of voters will be getting replacement ballot papers after a mailbag was stolen from a postie’s vehicle.

More than 520 voting packs for the Howick ward by-election have been identified as stolen by Auckland Council following the incident in Pakuranga.

The packs have been voided to avoid duplicate voting and replacement documents with new barcodes will be delivered by the end of this week.

NZ Post has informed the police and is conducting an investigation, including the circumstances involving the bag being in the postie’s vehicle, and a disciplinary process.

Bruce Thomas, Auckland Council’s electoral officer, says: “Correct systems were in place to identify which voters didn’t receive their documents and we have rectified the problem.”

Residents affected include some, but not all, properties in Udys Road, Beechdale Crescent, Cobana Place, Nevada Avenue, Jade Avenue, Pooley Street, Carmel Avenue and Fleur Avenue.

The same voting period still applies for affected voters, with polls closing at noon on May 27.

Electors who have not received their voting documents by Friday should contact the Electoral Office on (09) 973-5212.

Maybe the Police need to inform the public at some stage what location these incidents have been occurring... or alternatively contact Radio Live who are mentioned in this article and see if they will tell you.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/the-flag-debate/77718012/mailbox-thieves-stealing-flag-voting-papers

Mailbox thieves stealing flag voting papers

Last updated 17:23, March 9 2016

Police are investigating four cases of people claiming to have stolen flag referendum papers out of mailboxes and using them to cast votes.

The Electoral Commission said it had received reports of people posting on social media about their intentions to vote using other electors' papers and had referred the people in question to the police. 

In a statement, the commission said it had received reports of four incidents of ballot paper theft on Tuesday and Wednesday. All four incidents had been reported to the police.

"It is an offence for a person to complete any voting paper knowing that he or she is not the person intended to receive the voting paper and to return such voting papers under section 59 of the New Zealand Flag Referendums Act 2015," it said. 

Radio Live reported that one thief had even posted on a Facebook page saying he had stolen hundreds of papers out of mailboxes.

READ MORE:
Lockwood design 'extremely divisive'
Marlborough pupils hold their own flag referendum
New Zealand flag: which way are you going?
Vote for positive reasons in NZ flag referendum

"So far iv [sic] collected nearly 300 voting papers from neighbours and friends that couldn't care less. All have been ticked new flag," the post which Radio Live obtained said. 

If a person is convicted of filling out someone else's voting paper, they are guilty of a "corrupt practice" and can be liable for two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $40,000. 

The commission said it would not be commenting further on matters that are with the police. 

- Stuff

10 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

I see the number of new flags, flying proudly in the neighbourhood, is steadily increasing. People are being converted and momentum for change is gathering pace.

Vote for "The Fern and Stars".

Not in our location they aren't.

Most are very much for the existing flag.

Maybe in your location, Silence may yet be golden.

It's not over yet UH.

Unusual marketing strategy to be advertising merchandise in the manner that Kyle Lockwood is.

Fire sale perhaps because they haven't been selling as many as they hoped for???

On the surface it just looks like a different version to advertising 50 % plus off .

Perhaps Kyle Lockwood would please care to explain.

http://www.silverfernflag.org/store.html

"You can pay $125.00 for a flag of this quality, buy here and you will pay only $57.90!"

"You can pay over $60.00 for a flag of this quality, buy them now and you will pay only $32.90! "

Catastrophic defeat for John Key and,Richie McCaw amongst others

Memo to Mr Key....No longer do New Zealanders hang off every word spoken by politicians,rugby players or people with money.The time's are a changing.

No longer will we follow you into battle just because you guys say so.

One man they should have read about before launching this failed campaign was Dean Acheson.

He was Secretary of State under Harry Truman,helped design N A T O,helped design the Truman Doctrine and was closely involved with putting the Marshall Plan together.He also was an advisor to JFK and LBJ

His most memorable quote in my opinion is the following.

''''   POLICY BUBBLES UP FROM THE BOTTOM,

DECISIONS ARE MADE AT THE TOP''''''

Key ignored this and did the complete opposite thereby inflicting an unheard of defeat on the former All Black Captain and certain Captains of industry.

Not really a catastrophic defeat Crusty, 56-43 & I would imagine that a reasonable proportion of the 56% is due to apathy.

I really couldn't care either way, but I do have a feeling of a missed opportunity this time.

They chose the wrong flag to go up against the current one. The red, white and blue Lockwood flag gained the most preferred first pick votes on the initial poll and that flag retained the same colours as the current one. That one had more chance of success than the one put up.  

A lot of people would not vote for a flag with the colour black in it. Black in a flag represents evil and bad luck and many nationalities wouldn't vote for it on that basis (particularly Asian).

21 minutes ago, barryb said:

Not really a catastrophic defeat Crusty, 56-43 & I would imagine that a reasonable proportion of the 56% is due to apathy.

I really couldn't care either way, but I do have a feeling of a missed opportunity this time.

56.6% vs 43.2% is an absolute hiding.  Thats 285,000 more people voting for the current flag than voted for the new flag.

The 56.6% is not due to apathy - those people all made the effort to vote.  Apathy is the 33% of eligible voters who didn't bother to vote.  

Only 29% of eligible voters voted for the new flag.

What a waste of money!  #bigegotrip