RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Pinn Extends His Ozzie Trip

Perhaps not unsurprising but good luck to him. Seems to have also sorted out how not to be Stewards room all the time over there or was it just a local issue with RIB?

Rising star New Zealand apprentice jockey Wiremu Pinn has secured an extension to stay in Melbourne beyond the spring carnival.

The 24-year-old natural lightweight, who wants to stay in Australia permanently, could be invaluable in handicaps and weight-for-age races.

"I'll struggle (to get rides) with all these jockeys coming back but I can ride light, anything 48kg/49kg I'll be able to ride it," Pinn said.

"I could get down to 47kg, if they needed me to, hopefully I can pick up some rides by being the light jockey."

Pinn transferred his apprenticeship from Daniel Miller to Michael Kent at Cranbourne on a three-month loan initially from late May.

Kent signed the paperwork this week to retain Pinn.

"I'm really enjoying it here and I'm learning heaps, I just love the racing here in Melbourne."

Pinn has seven rides on Saturday at Flemington including Senor Uno, a Kiwi stayer part-owned by his parents, and last-start winners Hell Hound and Alhambra Lad.

"My mum and dad have a share in him (Senor Uno) and my aunty and uncle, it's their first share in a racehorse and he's doing them pretty well," Pinn said.

"They know nothing about racing, none of my family have anything to do with racing, so it's good for them to be involved and they follow the horse, they're having a lot of fun with him."

NZ import Senor Uno to make Australian debut at Flemington. Picture: Trish Dunell

NZ import Senor Uno will make his Australian debut at Flemington. Picture: Trish Dunell

Senor Uno, an $18,000 purchase, has banked more than $72,000 prizemoney with five wins and three places from 16 starts.

"Dan (Miller) bought him at the sales, he was quite cheap, I was riding him at the stables and he gave me a good feel," Pinn said.

"I said to mum (Chanelle) and dad (Daniel) I think you guys should get a share because he's quite cheap and I think he'll be all right.

"He's been great so far and hopefully he can win a race over here, it will be great."

The five-year-old gelding led all the way to win at 2100m race Te Arapa last May with Pinn's partner and eventual NZ apprentice champion Tayla Mitchell aboard.

"It was good I got her on that horse," Pinn laughed.

"I tried hard to get her on that horse too, it won her the premiership … she only won it by one point so she needed him to win."

Mitchell has joined Pinn in Melbourne with a view to start riding trackwork out of Cranbourne.

Pinn warned Senor Uno, a $41 outsider, would find the 1600m too sharp on Saturday.

"A mile is well short of his best but he's going to improve off whatever he does Saturday and once he gets up over 2000m that's when you'll see the best of him," Pinn said.

"He's a pretty good stayer and I think he could win a staying race just the way staying races are run here, he can run good sectionals and sustain a good gallop.

"I reckon the older he gets the better he's going to get, if you look at him, he's still quite weak so I reckon he'll definitely get out to a trip … he'll win a nice cups race somewhere."

4 minutes ago, MissJools said:

Wonder how long it'll be until Girlfriend Taylah is following him over there, as everytime, she's suspended, she jumps on a plane to visit him.  Make sense she bases herself over there fulltime, then she won't have to keep flying over to see Billie each time she's having enforced time off!!

If you read the article above MJ you would see that "Mitchell has joined Pinn in Melbourne with a view to start riding trackwork out of Cranbourne."

On 8/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, MissJools said:

Wonder how long it'll be until Girlfriend Taylah is following him over there, as everytime, she's suspended, she jumps on a plane to visit him.  Make sense she bases herself over there fulltime, then she won't have to keep flying over to see Billie each time she's having enforced time off!!

Oh goodness never thought the day would come Miss J would write her own spelling mistake. No "H" in Tayla. Maybe your time to go the corner?

50 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No I know was just told by someone in the know.

I wonder where and when. He was reprimanded for careless riding at the Valley on Saturday. Not suspended yesterday. Maybe from before that?

1 minute ago, Leggy said:

I wonder where and when. He was reprimanded for careless riding at the Valley on Saturday. Not suspended yesterday. Maybe from before that?

Not sure was just told from a good source he is suspended...I could not find it anywhere that was why I reached out to this friend.

Starting to think this whip policing is getting a bit tedious. There are all levels of whip usage, some a tap, some a thwack, and all the while these jocks trying to maintain balance, plan a move etc, etc and always be able to  see exactly where the 100 metres starts.

And to think some get harshly treated for only one extra strike. How about being able to "bank" a few if you don't even wield the whip on some horses? It's a can of worms.

Might as well pack up the punting tent if whips banned completely--soft rides everywhere. IMO

3 hours ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Wiremu didn't ride yesterday (as far as I'm aware).. not even Senor Uno who is part-owned by his parents....any ideas what's up??  Thanks.

Paul. You've obviously been concentrating so hard on  the Aussie form for the Saturday  Race Cafe comps , that you've missed the VRC Suspended Riders list.

You and Sayer going bloody well ! You will need a big bank when you meet Jim and me !!

Cheers and Happy fathers Day.