RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Harness Racing Names

I happened as I was driving along to be listening to Addington early tonight and hear a horse's name 'Show Gait'.  Nearly ran straight off the road!

And I thought NZTR were thick.  How the hell did HRNZ not pick that up?

The unfortunate nag won I see but those are enormous boots to fill and if I was to ask for kardigan bay for a thoroughbred's name I suspect it might be rejected.

26 minutes ago, Shad said:

They seem to call them anything these days, fair suck of the sav raced mid week, a dog in oz called chee zee elmut, wonder how they get away with it.

Re read the post.  It is bordering on offensive to allow Show Gait as a name.  It is not fair suck of the sav chee zee elmut or even puma pants it is Show Gate for God's sake!

Me neither.   Different code, different spelling and the galloper ran over 40 years ago.

Caduceus was a harness racing champion, and there was a galloper (jumper) running around here a year or so ago with the same name.

(and don't worry Rees, I am studying the galloping form for tomorrow - just thought I'd throw this one in for you)

1 hour ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

And I thought NZTR were thick.  How the hell did HRNZ not pick that up?

Maybe those in charge should officially retire names (and close variations) as they do in American sports with numbers.

It would be great recognition for the champions.

23 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Maybe those in charge should officially retire names (and close variations) as they do in American sports with numbers.

It would be great recognition for the champions.

NZ Racing do that - the names of Group One winners are protected.  But I suspect they don't look cross code.

4 hours ago, jasonmccook1 said:

I saw an article in the ODT talking about this same subject as there is a harness horse with a famous throughbred name up for sale soon and basically someone could call their throughbred Lazarus and it be ok ;)

I reckon NZTR are more onto it than that.  I never noticed this Caduceus example but there are not many others.  As I said try Kardigan Bay or Noodlum or something and I bet they would stop you.  Though of course that fails to take into account the age of those approving names who may never have heard of those horses. I guess the world continues to be dumbed down all the time so one never knows but replicating Show Gate?

For years and years I have had a desire to name one of my thoroughbred mares Ladyship.

Ladyship was of course, the dam of Lordship, my all time favourite standardbred. 

I’ve never been able to bring myself to do it.

After this thread I never will!

9 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Re read the post.  It is bordering on offensive to allow Show Gait as a name.  It is not fair suck of the sav chee zee elmut or even puma pants it is Show Gate for God's sake!

Obviously the powers that be don't really care, and the decision makers probably wouldn't even know who show gate or a taranaki gate was, just the way things are these days, a lot of things have changed, and not always for the better.

43 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

speaking of Lordship we had a galloper by that name racing here in the early 2000s - won 10 races

Why would they stop Noodlum or Kardigan Bay if they let through Lordship and Caduceus?

43 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

speaking of Lordship we had a galloper by that name racing here in the early 2000s - won 10 races

Why would they stop Noodlum or Kardigan Bay if they let through Lordship and Caduceus?

i didnt no that , new noodlum was spelt muldoon backwards, speaking of double names, noodlum was chased all the way my a pacer called comissioner, probably spelt that wrong, think it was trained my the halls then, and earls the later one that david walsh rode alot

Been quite a few occasions when harness & gallops have a horse by the same name, racing at the same time. I am sure someone with a better memory than me can remember who they are.

I have no problems what people call their horses,  in fact been some great names over the years, be great to see a few back.

Pressure on I suppose, you name a horse after a good one, people expect a good un.

Appreciate all the conversation, but remember everyone is not dual gaited like some  of us, and may not have been aware of the other codes heros.

I remember racing a harness horse called High Gun, and a thoroughbred named Hi Gun popped up at the same time. I think they were both involved in something like a inter code pick six one time. Okay, they were no stand outs, but just an example.

Cheers.

Robert.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, richie said:

Tom there has been gallopers called Lordship,Caduceus and Delightful Lady that i can think of

So why do you think that NZTR are more switched on than that.

Hmmmmm.......

I see that Delightful Lady thing.  I suspect I might have been a bit too nice to the NZTR mob.

That is another one that should never have been allowed but clearly there are thick pricks on all sides.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, Happy Sunrise said:

I have just named my young pacer to be... Sonline.

Hope he can live up to the name.

Why will never reach the same heights We all know its a sling on Sunline

On 1/27/2018 at 0:08 AM, jasonmccook1 said:

I saw an article in the ODT talking about this same subject as there is a harness horse with a famous throughbred name up for sale soon and basically someone could call their throughbred Lazarus and it be ok ;)

The most recent TB Lazarus is a 9yro gelding by Keeninsky who last raced in 2014 so there won't be another Lazarus in the NZ studbook for a few years to come. Current TB naming rules are:

Rules for naming your horse

There are some rules to bear in mind when naming your horse:

• Names must be no longer than 18 characters, including the spaces
  • Don't apply for names whose spelling or pronunciation is similar to names already registered
  • A name cannot be reused until 15 years has passed since the foaling of a similar named horse
  • Names for broodmares cannot be used until 12 years has passed since that name last appeared in the Stud Book
  • Names of winners of Group One races are protected
  • Names of stallions cannot be used until 15 years has passed since they last appeared in a studbook.

Ive just heard a galloper race in australia some provincial  track , called stars and stripes , at  {gosford} , if my memorys still working im sure barron had a pacer the same name some years ago, could run too