RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

What is the point of Tb Cafe?

Reading through the current list of topics it seems that the keyboard warriors the 'they should as"and the tragics have grabbed the bit and are off and away.

It would appear that the aforesaid find Scoobs fine piece of philanthropy, to the racing industry, has become a place to vent. This may be a good thing for the mental health of the above but its not happy reading.

The situation is an oxymoronic one because an involvement in racing at any level is an aspirational one whereby people spend their discretionary money on a punt or a share of a horse, in the hope of some return or pleasure. It is a positive experience that is wished for.

We have to make allowances for some of the posters who seem challenged, but the overall tenor is depressing.

As i have pointed out in the past if you fail to take interest in politics you will be ruled by people stupider than yourselves.

The same applies to racing as there are politics in that.

The best point of entry is to join a club or lesser a sector group and have your say. NZTR is owned by the clubs. There is no point in the disaffected here wailing to each other. NZTR are working to their plan and you won't change it here. Someone on here said that he had a complaint for TR and was inanely told to put it up as TR reads this. I am sure they do but doubt they take any notice unless you libel them. The best advice is to email Secretary Simon Cooper and you will get a reply. Don't email GP as he doest answer.

As for the RB they are untouchable except by political means.

No doubt this New Topic will be unwelcome and I doubt I will get much support but the venting here seems pointless and Scooby should never be put in jeopardy.

Sympathise with the sentiment Nerula but when(for instance) you race a horse for three years which wins $100k and you are still $150k behind the eight ball it gets a bit hard to stomach.

My share was 10% I might add so my loss was 10% of the $150k and that included the purchase price and insurance etc etc etc.

Especially when the control of the industry gets more and more and more distant from the participants.

Maybe we should just walk away and forget about the game?

There are still some wonderful people in this game however and still a lot of fun to be had but sometimes it is hard to remain motivated especially when you know that there are those bloated salaries paid to a bunch of people with not the slightest bit of zest for the industry 

Course if Consensus wins the Oaks on Saturday I might see things in a more positive light....

(and she is not the one who cost $150k either) 

I agree with what you say Nerula.

Just want to say this site has enabled me to share veiws and learn the attitudes and opinions of other participants in this industry. when im at the track in the mornings or at the races i dont usually get time to talk to many others in much depth.

I'm not much of a technical geek I prefer to be outside but can see how powerful medians like this can be, if used correctly,

Well bugger me that was the first time I have been wrong today.

Tom I know what you are saying. I started off with a hiss and a roar as a punter way back when betting 5 bob doubles and bought the first new car that way. Then sentiment for all my old winners turned into a loser. The takeout has killed exotics now

Same thing happened with ownership first go I was a winner with a good one but second and third forays a downward trend. But #4 won a trial yesterday woohoo!

Ya never know!

Best of luck in the Oaks. You never know which of these fillies can run the 2400m

Thanks Nerula. Despite what might seem a lot of negativity the nature of the game says it is full of optimists. As I heard Cliff Reese Jones say one day 'if you didn't think you will win you would not be in the game'. We all think we will win next time whether owner or punter.

Roll on Saturday!

Sympathise with the sentiment Nerula but when(for instance) you race a horse for three years which wins $100k and you are still $150k behind the eight ball it gets a bit hard to stomach.

My share was 10% I might add so my loss was 10% of the $150k and that included the purchase price and insurance etc etc etc.

Especially when the control of the industry gets more and more and more distant from the participants.

There are still some wonderful people in this game however and still a lot of fun to be had but sometimes it is hard to remain motivated especially when you know that there are those bloated salaries paid to a bunch of people with not the slightest bit of zest for the industry 

Course if Consensus wins the Oaks on Saturday I might see things in a more positive light....

Tom.....

Good luck with your horse Sat. :)

This is an excellent thread. Well balanced. Actually I was feeling the same way and was wondering whether or not I should keep reading and sometimes posting, as I am still very involved with the industry spending big money every week. I was starting doubt myself with what I was doing and that's generally not a good place to be!!

I had a minor query(where were the Dec 22=29 turnover figs in the bulletins they release), so I raised it on here.  Somebody said why don't you ask them, so i emailed them, twice, still waiting. still no figures.

Shame on all you people saying we're a bunch of pessimistic whingers - look at our Hesi - a case in point!  The original glass three quarters-full individual - so happily optimistic, that he emails this bunch - twice - thinking they'll email back!

the Consensus is that 'the suits' are to blame for ruining the industry...causing the postings here to appear negative when Actually, it's a positive thing., especially when criticism is backed up with the solutions to the ills..even though 'the suits' continue to ignore those advices.

i'll be on Consensus in the Oaks thanks..smothered up in the running past the middle and getting out'n'over the top of them

is that positive enough? :P

the Consensus is that 'the suits' are to blame for ruining the industry...causing the postings here to appear negative when Actually, it's a positive thing., especially when criticism is backed up with the solutions to the ills..even though 'the suits' continue to ignore those advices.

i'll be on Consensus in the Oaks thanks..smothered up in the running past the middle and getting out'n'over the top of them

Sounds bloody good to me Hedley

That second last paragraph sounds really really good!

Very best wishes Tom. I will be there tomorrow in anticipation of celebrating a West Coast win.

yes well unfortunately I won't be there myself with hopeless flight schedules out of Wellington tomorrow night and the race late. In fact I think zzz will be the only owner on course so he will have to shout. Realistically we are pushing it uphill but she has been unlucky several times and if that changes then she will be competitive. Thanks for the good wishes. Here's hoping!

Zzz has been having a pretty tough time lately too so is overdue a change of fortune. I would have to say he remains as bolshy as ever though (in case any cafers are wondering)

Don't think many of us would have ever doubted that Tom. Good luck.

Bolshy is great.. especially when the heart is in the right place and I've never had any doubt of where zzz's true love lies :)  Thoroughbred racing with a passion.

I wish you all the best for Saturday, I hope my beloved Trentham treats you kind  :)

Sounds bloody good to me Hedley

That second last paragraph sounds really really good!

Congratulations and salutations!

Big kind run today in her win..she'll be improved from it too [i doubled up on my Trentham bet Tom :) ]  good price on fixed odds $13s and $3.80

Sorry guys been off Cafe for a day or two.

Yes a huge thrill for all and thank you very very much.  Racing is a great leveller though and we might well come down to earth this Saturday.

'Say gidday to everyone when you are on the way up the ladder cos it will not be long till you pass them again on the way back down'

Having said that if you saw the video of her kicking squealing and bucking around her paddock Sunday morning you would think she had never had a race Saturday.  Remarkable given how long she has been up this prep.

Particularly pleasing for my brother who has been having a tough time of it lately but who has always had huge faith in her ability and who I believe had a very nice collect on Saturday himself.  He also owns her mother of course and she is back in foal to Postponed  so the black type is even more welcome.