RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Insider

Help!

As most of you know from my participation on the Thoroughbred thread, I am a galloping person. 
Joan wants to buy into a trotter. She is looking at a Tactical Landing filly from the Auckland Sale - Lot 51 to be precise.

Questions:

1) How good is Tactical Landing as a sire?

2) How good is the family that the filly is from?

It’s damn hard to actually read the pedigree page given all the information about times and the back type that doesn’t mean a lot to me. 

Liz

Tactical Landing was a top juvenile US racehorse, as was both his sire and dam. While just a young stallion, his progeny are already doing great things in the States. In regard to the family of lot 51, the dam is a half sister to 3 horses that were top juveniles. So the genetics are there and judging by the price, the stable believes the yearling has the right conformation and gait. I myself would prefer the dam to have several wins to her name (in Sire Stakes finals almost every competitor is out of a good race mare) but the dam sire is a top stallion.

38 minutes ago, Alf Riston said:

Looks the goods on type,

All impotant with the Trotters is who will train .....

In this instance the Dunn team will be. 

The Williamson guys seem to be the very best with trotters but they seem to be almost all square gaiters whereas the Dunn’s seem to do both well.

The above comments are based purely on watching Trackside and have no scientific basis LOL!

4 hours ago, Insider said:

In this instance the Dunn team will be. 

The Williamson guys seem to be the very best with trotters but they seem to be almost all square gaiters whereas the Dunn’s seem to do both well.

The above comments are based purely on watching Trackside and have no scientific basis LOL!

There has been a handful of T Landings step out in Australia with limited success

Be prepared to pay extremely inflated training prices from the Dunn Stable, I know someone who said it was far cheaper to have a galloper in a leading Sydney stable than a horse at Dunn racing 

Williamson and Nairn are the NZ masters of trotting 

Ah Insider mate 😀 Tactical Landing is a Sqaregaitin sire of Trottin horses, unlike those sires who produce (breed for their) Pacing horses; known by those outside harness circles (thoroughbred etc) who label them all under the one banner trotters, which in fact in not quite correct, as both Squaregaiters (Trotters) and the flash fast boys, Pacers - of harness racin are all known as Standardbreds. Lets recap, there are Standardbred Squaregaiting (Trotting) sires, and Standardbred Pacing Sires, does that help clear it up re your choice of trainers for said Squaregaitin filly.....however, just short note; just because the resultant progeny of 2 Squaregaitin horses were bred to Trot (Squaregait) doesn't mean they automatically will do so, sometimes be it Pacin bred or Squaregaitin bred the resultant progeny may decide to be an individual and do exactly the opposite of what they were bred to do ie. Tony Herlihy's more recent Double Delight is one, bred to Pace, but prefers to Squaregait (Trot) and she was bloody brilliant too.....🤗

Cheers Iraklis

PS. the mighty Lyell Creek was by a Pacing sire but prerred to Squaregait (Trot), I dunno what Lyell's mum was up to but she choose the mighty Royden Glen for her moment of passion, and boom world Champion Squaregaiter.....

Thanks Iraklis and Dynamite for all the information. Yes I had heard on the grapevine that the Dunn Stable is very expensive but as I will only have a small share hopefully I can live with it. It will be interesting comparing them to the galloping boys both here and in Australia as I have bits and pieces in both countries, so plenty to compare with.

Over 50+ years ago when I started in the game my first two horses where harness horses but they were no good. Then I got a galloper and he ran 2nd first up for us [ridden by apprentice Garth Jackson] and I thought, how easy is this,  no teaching them to trot or pace, especially when they did the opposite to what they were theoretically bred to do! 

In the ensuring 50+ years we have had reasonable success with the gallopers and thought that it might be interesting to have something to watch on a Friday night and preferably a straight out trotter hence the reason we have hit on the Tactical Landing filly that Diamond Racing are syndicating. Lot 51 Auckland Sale.

I was bought up on the NZ Trotting Cup [isn't the name a misnomer?] starting with the little black champion Lordship in the pink and black.

Interestingly, it is from the pink and black colours of the Nyhan's that our own galloping colours came!

Wowee Insider you saw, experienced the mighty Lordship in the flesh? holy cow 🤗 gawd that must've been special times for yuh 😀 I have watched his races over an over, he had a bloody massive sprint I would've loved to see him in action in the flesh....

Cheers Iraklis

Hi Insider, There are not many T L horses in NZ, he is not a shuttle stallion so all progeny are the result of frozen semen, his service fee is $15000, same as the US.

It appears that there are ; 8 foals, 9 yearlings, 6 2YO and 8  3YO's bred in NZ,    last year he had 3 2YO's go to the races 11 times, 2 of them won one race each.

The 1 filly that raced, Paramount Lady, won a 6 horse race at Invercargill last November, she raced 6 times as a 2YO, 3 times in Group races { unsuccessfully }, she is a 1/2 sister to Muscle Mountain.

Last year, one of Tactical Landing's fist crop 2yo won the famous Hambletonian in the US.

I am sure you don't need to be reminded, but anyway, read the fine print in the syndication agreement.

Iraklis, I saw Cardigan Bay once at Addington too, before he headed to America.

Actually the comment that you made about Lordship's sprint probably says why he was a successful sire, when many colonial sires couldn't make it. .

Nelson Schick [Windsor Park Stud] always said "that without a turn of foot" a stallion wont make it".

In other words, the grinding tough staying horse doesn't make it as a stallion

Those are two generalizations, and no doubt there will be exceptions, but not many.

Oh geez Insider, the mighty Cardy too, I am so bloody jealous right now 😁 all those from that line had the most devastin sprints at a time in the race when they should've been holdin up the white flag, Lord Module, Inky Lord etc etc all had that devastin finishin burst of speed that just let them blow past all the others like nothin, corr I wish I could've seen them in the flesh, I did see Lord Module at The Park once, but he was chasin home the mighty Lady and my concentration was elsewhere.....

Cheers Iraklis

What about Robalan and Young Quinn? I well remember Joan and I at Addington on Showday when they were in the FFA. She backed one, I the other. What way around I can’t remember, but wasn’t that period in ChCh in Harness racing something special!

10 hours ago, Dynamite said:

There has been a handful of T Landings step out in Australia with limited success

Be prepared to pay extremely inflated training prices from the Dunn Stable, I know someone who said it was far cheaper to have a galloper in a leading Sydney stable than a horse at Dunn racing 

Williamson and Nairn are the NZ masters of trotting 

Absolute garbage Dunn Stable charging inflated prices,  yes it is 70 dollars a day but as a large stable client and seeing the work and feed that goes into the horse's I consider it money well spent. Not only that you get John Dunn driving race day who I consider the best driver of Trotters in the country. 

1 hour ago, Insider said:

What about Robalan and Young Quinn? I well remember Joan and I at Addington on Showday when they were in the FFA. She backed one, I the other. What way around I can’t remember, but wasn’t that period in ChCh in Harness racing something special!

My brother was a Young Quinn fan and I was a Robalan fan so it was always fun when they were in the same race 😃

50 minutes ago, unhinged said:

Absolute garbage Dunn Stable charging inflated prices,  yes it is 70 dollars a day but as a large stable client and seeing the work and feed that goes into the horse's I consider it money well spent. Not only that you get John Dunn driving race day who I consider the best driver of Trotters in the country. 

That's much less than I was expecting based on the comments.

My horses in NZ cost $92.00 [Tony Pike] and $72.00 [Mathew Eales]

In Australia Patrick Payne costs $115.00. Kris Lees was the same and the new baby has gone to Gerald Ryan and I guarantee that he is even more expensive, being based at Rosehill, but she isn't at the stable yet, as she is currently being broken in.

GST is of course on top.

Thanks Leggy, that was the NZ Cup on the Tuesday.

I don't think that I was there, as I would have been working.

The day that I referred to was 3 days later on Show Day, which of course in Canterbury is a Public Holiday.

They were proper horses weren't they?

57 minutes ago, Insider said:

That's much less than I was expecting based on the comments.

My horses in NZ cost $92.00 [Tony Pike] and $72.00 [Mathew Eales]

In Australia Patrick Payne costs $115.00. Kris Lees was the same and the new baby has gone to Gerald Ryan and I guarantee that he is even more expensive, being based at Rosehill, but she isn't at the stable yet, as she is currently being broken in.

GST is of course on top.

Dunn’s are well renowned for unexplained extra charges on their accounts which will make T Pike look a lot cheaper

Also your thoroughbreds race for a hell of a lot more money than Standardbreds , the same case here in Sydney is even wider

A trotter is good enjoyment and I hope you get along to Alexandra Park to watch it

On 2/23/2024 at 8:28 PM, Insider said:

As most of you know from my participation on the Thoroughbred thread, I am a galloping person. 
Joan wants to buy into a trotter. She is looking at a Tactical Landing filly from the Auckland Sale - Lot 51 to be precise.

Questions:

It’s damn hard to actually read the pedigree page given all the information about times and the back type that doesn’t mean a lot to me. 

Liz

Dave Quinn has a yearling filly he's just broken in from a winning mare and progeny. Good Family.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:28 PM, Insider said:

Questions:

Liz

Wilma’s Boy his first winner in NZ. Looked promising in this first start ( out of a multiple Group1 winning mare ) but naughty since.