RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
47South

Aintree Jumps Meeting

Does anyone know whether the Aintree Jumps meeting be well televised live if not when and what time well we get the replys TAB help lines answer was I'm not sure 4FS thanks in advance 

6 hours ago, Memphis3 said:

Great race. Wonder how long it will last in its present format. Hope it continues. The lady rider was fantastic. Stuck to the inside clear of other horses for most of the way. 

Good  on her. 

Modifications over years have extended the races lifespan , close co-operation between RSPCA and Racing has helped . Fences fair now IMHO  .I enjoy the National but wouldnt want it back to old days . Fences like Beechers in hindsight were very unfair and I don't enjoy watching re runs with horses  struggling to get landing gear down,   but I used to enjoy the race at the time , like sending a boxer in ring blindfold really .  Asking a horse to negotiate a fence that has massive drop on other side  not on  . Brown Trix I think the horse was called met his end in the brook  on landing side many years ago so it was filled in or covered somehow  , now it's all levelled off .  It's the better race  for its updating IMHO   I am not young , but not old , I will be in a box long before the National gets stopped .

Corbiere seems a lifetime ago trained by first female trainer to win it , good to see it is now open to all on level playing field .

NZ has a very good history in the race .

Grand National tame compared to Velka Pardubice ran in Oct each year , that is really x rated and needs some updating fast .

On 4/11/2021 at 5:40 AM, Red Rum said:

Modifications over years have extended the races lifespan , close co-operation between RSPCA and Racing has helped . Fences fair now IMHO  .I enjoy the National but wouldnt want it back to old days . Fences like Beechers in hindsight were very unfair and I don't enjoy watching re runs with horses  struggling to get landing gear down,   but I used to enjoy the race at the time , like sending a boxer in ring blindfold really .  Asking a horse to negotiate a fence that has massive drop on other side  not on  . Brown Trix I think the horse was called met his end in the brook  on landing side many years ago so it was filled in or covered somehow  , now it's all levelled off .  It's the better race  for its updating IMHO   I am not young , but not old , I will be in a box long before the National gets stopped .

Corbiere seems a lifetime ago trained by first female trainer to win it , good to see it is now open to all on level playing field .

NZ has a very good history in the race .

Grand National tame compared to Velka Pardubice ran in Oct each year , that is really x rated and needs some updating fast .

I've been to Pardubice for the Velka Pardubika.  The 4th obstacle, the Taxis, is a beast.  Good thing they only jump it once and early in the race.  It always claims a couple of horses.  I walked the course a couple of days after the race and stood in the ditch on the landing side of the Taxis fence.  I felt like a dwarf.  I've attached the photo, by the way, I've 5'10" (178 centimeters).

DSC00848.JPG

1 hour ago, Scanman said:

I've been to Pardubice for the Velka Pardubika.  The 4th obstacle, the Taxis, is a beast.  Good thing they only jump it once and early in the race.  It always claims a couple of horses.  I walked the course a couple of days after the race and stood in the ditch on the landing side of the Taxis fence.  I felt like a dwarf.  I've attached the photo, by the way, I've 5'10" (178 centimeters).

DSC00848.JPG

Maskul a dual winner about 10 or so years back , by Lear Fan out of Northern Dancer mare bred by Shadwell , defo not bred with with intention of 4 plus miles across the ploughed field they go across .

It's a Snip won it for UK under trainer Charlie Mann in  95 

I was at the 2011 race when Tiumen completed his hat-trick.

Getting back to Aintree and the English Grand National.  I attended the 1984 race (winner Hallo Dandy).  I was living in Scotland at the time and on a whim, drove down to Liverpool that morning to attend the race.  Back then you could walk the course (at least the area in front of the stands) prior to racing.  Got to see "The Chair" up close, wish I had pictures of it.  Yeah, the fences were much different back then, much stiffer.  And the core of the fence at Beachers Brook was diabolical.  Quite a crowd that day, we were packed in like sardines, but still had decent viewing from the stands.  I had 40 quid each was on Lucky Vane at 16-1, who fortunately got up for 4th a few jumps from the line.  It was great to have the opportunity to attend and experience "the National" first hand.

36 minutes ago, Scanman said:

I was at the 2011 race when Tiumen completed his hat-trick.

Getting back to Aintree and the English Grand National.  I attended the 1984 race (winner Hallo Dandy).  I was living in Scotland at the time and on a whim, drove down to Liverpool that morning to attend the race.  Back then you could walk the course (at least the area in front of the stands) prior to racing.  Got to see "The Chair" up close, wish I had pictures of it.  Yeah, the fences were much different back then, much stiffer.  And the core of the fence at Beachers Brook was diabolical.  Quite a crowd that day, we were packed in like sardines, but still had decent viewing from the stands.  I had 40 quid each was on Lucky Vane at 16-1, who fortunately got up for 4th a few jumps from the line.  It was great to have the opportunity to attend and experience "the National" first hand.

Backed Lucky Vane many times in the staying chases , good West Country stayer .

Hello Dandy lived to 33 years old .

Second in 1984 was Greasepaint , IMHO the 2nd best National horse in my lifetime , 2nd 2nd 3rd 4th 10th , how he got over those fences in those days without getting into trouble  is immense , what a horse . 150 biggest fences there are without falling or running up backside of another runner .

West Tip was another great National horse from mid to late 80s , saw him at Sandown in one of his first Novice Chases in Dec 83 , the same day Desert Orchid ran in Novice Hurdle . West Tip had a  massive scar on his hindquarters where a lorry had taken him out a few years before and he only just survived .One tough bugger that horse .

First, thanks for the heads up on FARCLAS - I backed it along with MAGIC OF LIFE and managed to draw on it finishing fifth (thank you, Jenningsbet) so ended up ahead on the race which made up for ROKSANA's narrow defeat.

9 Irish trained finishers in the first 10 - just three of the fifteen finishers trained in Britain - tells you all you need to know !!

That's a great photo Scanman. I've stood in the ditch on the far side of Beechers Brook, in pre-modification times. it was much deeper than the jump in your photo, but narrower, as I recall.

Memphis3 asks how long it will remain in it's current format. I'd answer "It's England - so likely the next 200 years"

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

Any thoughts as to the reason for the Irish dominance over the Carnivals?

I'm sure there must be one, I don't think the good English trainers have suddenly become incompetent or lost all their good horses overnight. 

Rich Ricci, JP and Gigginstown  supplying the raw material and cash although Gigginstown scaling down on recruiting according to them , plus Elliott , DE Bromhead and the genius Mullins training them . I understand Mullins has a full time employee in France talent spotting to supplement the Irish bred stores .That be my thoughts,  although JP does have plenty with Henderson , Hobbs and Jonjo.

Rich Ricci knows how to spend his taxpayer funded bank bailout . 

The wheel will turn again and again , look at Irish Classic winners before Aiden , most English trained in 80s and early 90s  , there were many poor years for Irish at Cheltenham  and Liverpool . 

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

Any thoughts as to the reason for the Irish dominance over the Carnivals?

I'm sure there must be one, I don't think the good English trainers have suddenly become incompetent or lost all their good horses overnight. 

Decent prizemoney keeps horses in Ireland too that's why some big Pom outfits keep horses there too.

4 hours ago, stodge said:

First, thanks for the heads up on FARCLAS - I backed it along with MAGIC OF LIFE and managed to draw on it finishing fifth (thank you, Jenningsbet) so ended up ahead on the race which made up for ROKSANA's narrow defeat.

9 Irish trained finishers in the first 10 - just three of the fifteen finishers trained in Britain - tells you all you need to know !!

You were right though,  stamina just gave out but great ride and run  . I had it at decent odds early in week so got the each way payout , had Burrow Saint too so in the profit zone. 

I'd back Farclas next year as 8 year old unless it was a Red Marauder National .

On 4/14/2021 at 12:07 AM, Red Rum said:

You were right though,  stamina just gave out but great ride and run  . I had it at decent odds early in week so got the each way payout , had Burrow Saint too so in the profit zone. 

I'd back Farclas next year as 8 year old unless it was a Red Marauder National .

Well, I thought it was a "sighter" if I'm being honest but connections would have been delighted. He was the youngest of the finishers and if not 2022 then perhaps 2023 will be this year but they have to keep his handicap mark down AND hope they get decent ground.

As far as next year is concerned, ANY SECOND NOW will be a lot of people's idea of the winner.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:05 AM, Red Rum said:

Decent prizemoney keeps horses in Ireland too that's why some big Pom outfits keep horses there too.

I found this for @Pam Robsonearlier - minimum UK prize money levels for 2021 (prize funds not pot for the winner):

minimum-prize-money-480x308.jpg

The difference with Ireland is quite stark - minimum prize money levels 10,000 euros for all races so your maiden or novice hurdler is getting twice as much if he wins in Ireland. At the very top level, the English money is attractive - that's why the Irish are happy to plunder Cheltenham (Gold Cup was worth £263,750 to the winner and the National £375,000) but at lower levels the disparity is noticeable.