RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

NZTR CEO Appointment

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Not sure about the JA appointment, I thought that was kosher, unlike AJ at NZTR, that was just chicanery ( in conjunction with the Member's Council ) and arguably an indicative symptom of what's been contributing to our fundamental problems for years now.

If a licencee did the equivalent the RIU would no doubt describe it as corruption.

You might not be sure about JA but i am. It was a done deal early on and other better credentialed  candidates IMHO had no show despite protests from industry leaders.

Here's your man.

This is obviously a sanitized article but reading between the lines he's quite divisive and not terribly popular.

He's also pro pokies, and if that's an indicator of how his moral compass is set we can presume he's a nihilist.

The Minister appointed JA as was his prerogative. It would have been bleedingly obvious to the Members Council that racing was made a political beast by statute, and as such to get any progress at that time, it had to be someone who had inside running to the political machine.

JA has standing in the corridors of power. Can you go back through the appointees of the past and tell us who was a better one? And when was that?

15 minutes ago, Nerula said:

The Minister appointed JA as was his prerogative. It would have been bleedingly obvious to the Members Council that racing was made a political beast by statute, and as such to get any progress at that time, it had to be someone who had inside running to the political machine.

JA has standing in the corridors of power. Can you go back through the appointees of the past and tell us who was a better one? And when was that?

Aren't you blending two events ?

JA is not in any way linked to the Member's Council.

Yes, but age is hardly an excuse for getting EVERYTHING wrong. The minister appoints the RB or at least some of it. That board then appoints the RB CEO. That of course has nothing to do with the appointment of the NZTR CEO which is made by the NZTR board who are appointed by the Members Council. The two are completely unrelated and I thought you held an industry body leadership position Nerula. It's no wonder the game is fooked and we keep getting one ridiculous decision after another.

3 hours ago, Midget said:

Here's your man.

This is obviously a sanitized article but reading between the lines he's quite divisive and not terribly popular.

He's also pro pokies, and if that's an indicator of how his moral compass is set we can presume he's a nihilist.

Guaranteed I'd say Midge....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/racing-victoria-chief-bernard-saundry-calls-for-more-poker-machines-at-racecourses/news-story/9b17f74b4aeb472bdb451eb399c50000

23 minutes ago, Berri said:

Oh dear. I'm making some logical enquiries in Melbourne with people I trust. Let's see what they say. 

I've already done that Berri. From a high level owner, breeder, club level, the news is not good. Be interesting if you find differently or not.

Oh Dear....yet again

Aren't we meant to be finding a person who can take the industry forward so that we can all be filled with confidence for the future? If Saundry is the NZTR board's choice, then we are in trouble AGAIN!!!

The people I asked about him were  leading NZ and Aussie trainers, the son of a past President of the VRC who is very involved in the VRC, a very respected merchant banker (not many of them left), and a lawyer who races 20 horses (most in shares). There is one common theme and that is although Saundry is a good guy, he is not the best at executing, not the brightest brick in the wall and probably not capable of leading a team for change. I do not know Saundry and have never met him but if this is what is being said independently, and all comments correlate with a central theme, then this is probably right. These people are not slouches. One of the issues was that Moody (the chair of the VRC) is that everything was his way or the highway. Saundry was only going to be an interim CEO as he was never really considered top notch CEO material and was a good puppet for Moody. This relationship really needed to cease as it had run its course and there was some dissent in the camp. These are other's words, not mine.

So if this is the bloke they want, then we need to go on strike. He's not good enough....and if he is selected....those that have selected him willingly need to leave the NZTR.

Why don't the members council and/ or the NZTR work out that on our fair shores is a bloke who can do this job. He was invested in by the RIB many years ago (a scholarship) to qualify himself in sports management at a US Uni. He's been involved in the racing industry for years, his fellow board members speak highly of him and he is generally liked. His latest job (managing a club) could only be deemed a success. What is the problem? This process smacks of self interest and back door personal opinions. We have to be transparent and not some weird lip service piece of bullshit.

This needs to change

25 minutes ago, Berri said:

Oh Dear....yet again

Aren't we meant to be finding a person who can take the industry forward so that we can all be filled with confidence for the future? If Saundry is the NZTR board's choice, then we are in trouble AGAIN!!!

The people I asked about him were  leading NZ and Aussie trainers, the son of a past President of the VRC who is very involved in the VRC, a very respected merchant banker (not many of them left), and a lawyer who races 20 horses (most in shares). There is one common theme and that is although Saundry is a good guy, he is not the best at executing, not the brightest brick in the wall and probably not capable of leading a team for change. I do not know Saundry and have never met him but if this is what is being said independently, and all comments correlate with a central theme, then this is probably right. These people are not slouches. One of the issues was that Moody (the chair of the VRC) is that everything was his way or the highway. Saundry was only going to be an interim CEO as he was never really considered top notch CEO material and was a good puppet for Moody. This relationship really needed to cease as it had run its course and there was some dissent in the camp. These are other's words, not mine.

So if this is the bloke they want, then we need to go on strike. He's not good enough....and if he is selected....those that have selected him willingly need to leave the NZTR.

Why don't the members council and/ or the NZTR work out that on our fair shores is a bloke who can do this job. He was invested in by the RIB many years ago (a scholarship) to qualify himself in sports management at a US Uni. He's been involved in the racing industry for years, his fellow board members speak highly of him and he is generally liked. His latest job (managing a club) could only be deemed a success. What is the problem? This process smacks of self interest and back door personal opinions. We have to be transparent and not some weird lip service piece of bullshit.

This needs to change

I tend to agree and we need to get over this colonial cringe and take a chance on someone who knows our industry for a change. We have tried over and over again with the "new broom" theory and it hasn't worked. I suppose the only thing in Saundry's favour is that at least he is a racing person.

I wonder if it is because the person you are all referring to has a harness background?

He's got a harness background but he's a galloping man. All you need to do is meet with him and you'll realise he's the best chance we've had in 25 years. He doesn't need to stand up to too much competition....Acklin, Fenwick, Alexander, Purcell, Brown, Hands On Hanson, Hickton, Bayliss et al.....and I'm missing heaps.

They have one thing in common....the industry was in a better state when they started and a worse state when they finished....with the common denominator being that each one reached a new low. Get motivated or don't moan. Its not too late

23 minutes ago, Berri said:

He's got a harness background but he's a galloping man. All you need to do is meet with him and you'll realise he's the best chance we've had in 25 years. He doesn't need to stand up to too much competition....Acklin, Fenwick, Alexander, Purcell, Brown, Hands On Hanson, Hickton, Bayliss et al.....and I'm missing heaps.

They have one thing in common....the industry was in a better state when they started and a worse state when they finished....with the common denominator being that each one reached a new low. Get motivated or don't moan. Its not too late

I don't think anyone would argue that he isn't better than any of the lot you listed. The CEO is of course reliant on the senior staff under him and I have no idea how competent they are these days.

That's correct. He came out of Trentham to come down here to sort out the underachievers at Addington.

We know them and the initial response was that they were not keen on returning North.

That may have changed but would need to see if I can find out.

4 hours ago, Berri said:

Oh Dear....yet again

This needs to change

It might be that he is far too bright and successful for the lot he has to report too and they know it Just look at his CV be it in racing or private sector.

As an aside how qualified are the member's council to appoint NZTR board members cos they have not IMHO made a very good job of it thus far, the turnover says it all.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

Who's on the Members Council

It's who pulls the strings that matters.

Guppy and Fokerd from the swamp known as Trentham seem to call the shots, there are others who're well meaning, KFE, Tiley et al but the aforementioned from the swamp orchetrate the chicanery.

It's odd really when this industry invests trust and judgement into those who's track record suggests they're the least qualified to be invested in or trusted to do the right thing.

Anyway here's an out of date list, Haworth gone now, Tiley in his place.

IMG_7870.PNG

1 hour ago, Midget said:

It's who pulls the strings that matters.

Guppy and Fokerd from the swamp known as Trentham seem to call the shots, there are others who're well meaning, KFE, Tiley et al but the aforementioned from the swamp orchetrate the chicanery.

It's odd really when this industry invests trust and judgement into those who's track record suggests they're the least qualified to be invested in or trusted to do the right thing.

Anyway here's an out of date list, Haworth gone now, Tiley in his place.

IMG_7870.PNG

Interesting bunch, might explain a few things.

KFE obviously there to show some modicum of "affirmative action" Not knocking the lady but where are people like Susan Archer and other women who have been intimately involved with the evolution of racing? I've been around the game for 50 years but have never heard of most of those officials--obviously went to the wrong schools or churches!

The 12-person NZTR Members’ Council was set up in March 2011 and charged with responsibility for all aspects of appointing and reviewing the performance of the six independent Directors of the NZTR Board.

I wonder how one would get the minutes of the various reviews the NZTR Members Council carried out??.

Any clues cafers:wub::wub: