Crow

Jumps racing

11 hours ago, Pak Star said:

Good to see Troy back in action.  Anyone know where Temyia Taiaroa has been?  I would call her up and ask, but that might be a bit weird...

She has got a ride in the last race at Otaki today (La Bella Grande) for Roydon Bergerson. But has nothing on Saturday at Wanganui. 

CJC got rid of all jumps but National & only hanging by thread for the $$$. don't even waste my time going down any more as had done every year,  BEST part of the season for 50+ of my yrs but sad decline, sold off hill so no Great Northern etc karma seems to be visiting there lol, Dr McGregor Grant be mortified.  Shame they listen to not only the Peta nutters & cohorts but those on boards trying to shut jumps racing down.  Be at their peril as many I know have now turned backs on racing & spend $ elsewhere.  Don't think Troys that desperate to go back over sticks, not last I chatted with him  Shaun will pick his mounts, a few overseas jumps jocks may return, Emily may also, time will tell, without Myers, Ken Duncan & a few stalwarts few have jumpers any more & those in Sth Is who do want the odd one now have to send it north.  Long gone are the likes of the great Kumai. Grey Ways etc.  Can only hope the choice picnic meetings who DO get great public attendance do do same way some are trying to shut. sorry state of racing it's become 

It'll pick up... it always does. It's only April. Plenty of old and new jumpers popping up at the trials and highweights in the North. 
Losing Ellerslie was a bitter blow but with Te Aroha and Te Rapa there is still plenty for northern trainers to plan around.
Jockeys are the issue, as always. Last season, about a dozen was the ma available once Phelan went down injured.

1 hour ago, Historian said:

It'll pick up... it always does. It's only April. Plenty of old and new jumpers popping up at the trials and highweights in the North. 
Losing Ellerslie was a bitter blow but with Te Aroha and Te Rapa there is still plenty for northern trainers to plan around.
Jockeys are the issue, as always. Last season, about a dozen was the ma available once Phelan went down injured.

Sorry historian I think you are fighting a losing battle...I think its a lost cause...this year maybe 1 more if we are lucky.

5 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Sorry historian I think you are fighting a losing battle...I think its a lost cause...this year maybe 1 more if we are lucky.

Even from here, I hope you're wrong but all I hear are echoes of Joni Mitchell.

2 hours ago, stodge said:

Even from here, I hope you're wrong but all I hear are echoes of Joni Mitchell.

I know it's not what you meant Stodge but perhaps because we are off to see James Taylor in Welly next week, this song which he wrote for Joni sprung to mind in relation to the situation.

Zelda loves a jump 🤣 , even mores0 she loves a good song and this one ( not that nancy boy song above) is topical

a jump to th e left a jump to the right, dont let something precious go sheep sharers, start the fight now and save your jumps 

re build the hill, peoples power, together united we will never be defeated.

somoy, jean rapier, brother bart, DIWALI 😍, elanora girl, CRISP😍fast food, ..............add yourt favourite here.......................

once its gone its gone, and we will all be stuck in a time warp, n0?

11 hours ago, Historian said:

Agree highweight fields ok. Once upon a time highweight horses had to have their jumps ticket to be eligible. Is that still the case? If so there are still a reasonable number of potential jumpers about.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:46 PM, Historian said:

I so wish you were correct but i'd be dreaming, sadly the demise has been somes officianado's plan for a number of yrs helped along by a few curtailed by the "ill informed' do gooder movement worldwide who have & are figthing to have it & all racing closed.  Succeeded in doing in Sth Is apart from National week, which last yr only 2 jumps racedays now with Wed being all on flat.  How long for?? Cost of attending & sending jumpers to GN is prohibitive to some so Nth Is IT with a few tracks retaining them, so darn sad for the BEST part of game I LOVE. Anyone's guesstimation how long NI survives. bit like tracks & winter's not hit.   May be bogged down in more than just Heavy10 & not just alluding to track lol

On 4/26/2024 at 12:12 AM, scooby3051 said:

Yes, has become a spectator sport everyone loves to watch as you see it in the crowds that turn up to watch then go home. Financially they watch and don't bet and therefore it has become uneconomical. to maintain.

10 hours ago, Ragamuffin said:

I so wish you were correct but i'd be dreaming, sadly the demise has been somes officianado's plan for a number of yrs helped along by a few curtailed by the "ill informed' do gooder movement worldwide who have & are figthing to have it & all racing closed.  Succeeded in doing in Sth Is apart from National week, which last yr only 2 jumps racedays now with Wed being all on flat.  How long for?? Cost of attending & sending jumpers to GN is prohibitive to some so Nth Is IT with a few tracks retaining them, so darn sad for the BEST part of game I LOVE. Anyone's guesstimation how long NI survives. bit like tracks & winter's not hit.   May be bogged down in more than just Heavy10 & not just alluding to track lol

The main issue is riders for schooling and race riding now if Joe Bloggs has a jumper and Myers or Neilson in a race who is less likely to get a rider. Not hard to work out. Which Official caused that problem and is it a subsided part of racing?

1 hour ago, pogo(aus) said:

anyone who was fortunate enough to watch The Brierley @the Bool and thinks jumps racing has no place , give yourself a triple uppercut, n0?

what a race !!   😍

promote the game and the people will come .

unbelievabool, every step of the way.

That was some win by Stern Idol, 73kgs and taken on the whole way.  Drops to 72kg Thursday but that extra lap will take something special, I can't wait!  

Just seen the Grand Annual - it's an interesting race.

I'd love to know two things - first, how many fences are jumped in the 5500m - the Cheltenham Gold Cup has 22 fences over 5000m. The second thing I'd love to see are the sectionals - the average jump racing on soft ground in the UK has 15-17 second 200m (or furlongs). They looked to be trapping on what was obviously quick ground. It's more like a French steeplechase than a British or Irish race. Nonetheless, a huge crowd on a banked infield - a bit like Bangor on steroids.