RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Aaron The Anchor

Thoughts on Vauban for the Cup?

They talked to David Casey, the ex jump jockey who is Willie Mullins's Assistant Trainer and Travelling Head Lad, and he emphasised VAUBAN would be happy on fast ground. He galloped away from ABSURDE in the well-touted bit of track work.

He thrashed ABSURDE seven lengths in the Copper House Handicap at Ascot in June on officially Good ground. ABSURDE gets 4 lbs but that's nowhere near enough. VALIANT KING is 1lb better off the Naas win but the view over here is the trip was too short and the ground not right for VAUBAN whose best jumping form is on reasonable ground.

I remember Rich Ricci saying after Cheltenham the horse was going to be campaigned as a dual purpose type and Flemington was probably in mind even then when he was on offer at 33s.

He's no certainty and 9/4 up here is very skinny. We don't know the draw yet either.

It will be nice to have an English Derby winner in the year - step forward the winner of the 2020 renewal, SERPENTINE, on offer at 50s.

30 minutes ago, stodge said:

They talked to David Casey, the ex jump jockey who is Willie Mullins's Assistant Trainer and Travelling Head Lad, and he emphasised VAUBAN would be happy on fast ground. He galloped away from ABSURDE in the well-touted bit of track work.

He thrashed ABSURDE seven lengths in the Copper House Handicap at Ascot in June on officially Good ground. ABSURDE gets 4 lbs but that's nowhere near enough. VALIANT KING is 1lb better off the Naas win but the view over here is the trip was too short and the ground not right for VAUBAN whose best jumping form is on reasonable ground.

I remember Rich Ricci saying after Cheltenham the horse was going to be campaigned as a dual purpose type and Flemington was probably in mind even then when he was on offer at 33s.

He's no certainty and 9/4 up here is very skinny. We don't know the draw yet either.

It will be nice to have an English Derby winner in the year - step forward the winner of the 2020 renewal, SERPENTINE, on offer at 50s.

All very sound analysis. I just watched the Ebor - seems like Scriptwriter (More Felons) goes for an outside run, gets baulked, basically stuck for a run. Only gets free with 200 to go. Carried 61 that day, carried 55 at Geelong, was very strong over last 400 there to just dip out. Drops to 50.5 (!) for MC..... kind of has a Max Dynamite/Red Cadeux feel for me. No champion but perhaps Australia suits him based on Geelong? 30s at the moment. 

Weirder things have happened on the first Tuesday in November.....

4 minutes ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

All very sound analysis. I just watched the Ebor - seems like Scriptwriter (More Felons) goes for an outside run, gets baulked, basically stuck for a run. Only gets free with 200 to go. Carried 61 that day, carried 55 at Geelong, was very strong over last 400 there to just dip out. Drops to 50.5 (!) for MC..... kind of has a Max Dynamite/Red Cadeux feel for me. No champion but perhaps Australia suits him based on Geelong? 30s at the moment. 

Weirder things have happened on the first Tuesday in November.....

Up here, VAUBAN is rated 114 and MORE FELONS 106 - in the Cup, VAUBAN gives 10 lbs so they should finish very close.

I sometimes think MORE FELONS finds his own trouble and while I agree 33s is a knocking each way bet, I'm going to wait for the draw. I just see him getting stuck in traffic and flying home. 

Nice work Shane. Wish I'd done the same. Make sure you lay it for $100 now. It will cost you less than $400 and you'l get your stake back if the heavens open up and Gold Trip knocks you off. I'm going to wait for this predicted drift back up to $4.50 before having a bet so it's likely I'll just be watching this year and helping to cheer your bet home.

On 11/3/2023 at 7:46 PM, mike28 said:

$3.50 is crazy money it will pay $4.50 plus on the tote on the day and even thats to short for mine

Already in from $3.50 to $3.20 since the field was finalised.  TAB currently offering a boosted $4.00 special though.   

Saw a piece on Racenet from Robbie Waterhouse about how none of the Euro horses starting below $5 have run a place - mentioned about five of them. Interesting stat. 

Personally I am wary of that first Aussie run - that will be a hell of a crowd, firm track and compact field. Lots can go wrong but he does seem a very nice horse. 

1 hour ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

Saw a piece on Racenet from Robbie Waterhouse about how none of the Euro horses starting below $5 have run a place - mentioned about five of them. Interesting stat. 

Personally I am wary of that first Aussie run - that will be a hell of a crowd, firm track and compact field. Lots can go wrong but he does seem a very nice horse. 

Can't be a meaningful stat when odds he's offering are the same as Ladbrokes, Betr, Sportsbet. etc.

Fresh up in Australia and a big field are challenges for Willie and Ryan to overcome, but both are quite good at what they do.  Crowd shouldn't be an issue as there were over 40,000 at Ascot when he won.  Two wins from three starts on a good track.

Drawn three with GOLD TRIP on one side and SOULCOMBE on the other.

WITHOUT A FIGHT drawn 16. 

Money up here for the Moonee Valley Gold Cup winner CLEVELAND who used to be with Aidan O'Brien back in the day. Back then, he landed a huge punt when winning the 2022 Chester Cup and was a close second in the 2022 renewal of the race at Ascot VAUBAN won this year.

He's got 8 stone 3 lbs which is no weight but he's in the car park at 23.

FUTURE HISTORY is 7 lbs better for three quarters of a length and has Hollie Doyle riding off just 7 stone 12 lbs. Drawn in the midfield at 13.

i just watched the race were vauban  won by 7.5 lengths or something it seemed to me like they were walking in that race and the overall time seemed a bit on the slow side

i could be wrong. maybe the tracks at ascot etc play a little different and run a little slower not sure. i havent seen anything in the sectionals .or anything else to suggest that this horse is an absolute stand out does anyone have any thoughts on this cheers.

38 minutes ago, mike28 said:

i just watched the race were vauban  won by 7.5 lengths or something it seemed to me like they were walking in that race and the overall time seemed a bit on the slow side

i could be wrong. maybe the tracks at ascot etc play a little different and run a little slower not sure. i havent seen anything in the sectionals .or anything else to suggest that this horse is an absolute stand out does anyone have any thoughts on this cheers.

Been a drifter the last couple of days while stablemate Absurde has been backed from $21 into $12. Zac Purton rides.

14 hours ago, mike28 said:

notable drifter now. my prediction a few days ago when it was 3.50 ff that it would  pay $4.50 at least on the tote . now im thinking  maybe $5 will be in at that price.

Not the first time a drift has made a mockery of the TABs "boosted odds" too

28 minutes ago, Pakaraka Star said:

Not the first time a drift has made a mockery of the TABs "boosted odds" too

they have a couple at the moment cleveland $9 a place boosted is paying 9.50 at bet365 will pay 9 on the tote easy. on another note i got vow and declare top 5 boosted at 4.6 now is 4.20 boosted so happy about that. if there's a late scratching you might get value with cleveland. boosted odds are good better than nothing but not all of them provide value.