Pete Lane

RaceCafe Tips Thread Updated Daily

6 hours ago, Right first time said:

Pukekohe - Sunday 08 January

There are several in the R3 Maiden 1600m @ Pukekohe today who have done enough to say they can win.
One such runner is my tip for today :-

image.thumb.png.567c070eb71b043b3f11363822aeb635.png

Locally trained galloper in the 7th line of Favouritism @ $13.00 ; $4.00 with an in-form Sam Spratt on board. Will get back from the 9 draw but be finishing strongly.

Just as an aside, there is a runner in this R3 named 'Styx', trained by Andrew Forsman.
In the mid to late 1960s when in my childhood my favourite galloper was also named Styx. By Syntax, this horse won 9 of 40 starts for northern trainer George Smith, with its best win being the 1967 Foxbridge Plate when ridden by Ron Taylor.
When I first came onto this site must be close on 20 years ago my moniker was 'Styxmyfavourite.'
I'll be interested to see how the modern version of 'Styx' gets on. Won't be carrying any of my money today, though.

Nice picking Howie. I had a late bet on Lady Hika after listening to Andrew Forsman but great run by Star of Wonder.

I'll console myself with the $12 place divvy I got off Lady Hika 😊

1 minute ago, PeteL said:

Nice picking Howie. I had a late bet on Lady Hika after listening to Andrew Forsman but great run by Star of Wonder.

I'll console myself with the $12 place divvy I got off Lady Hika 😊

Thanks, Pete .... I seem to be on  a bit of a roll at the moment. Sam Spratt is being very kind to me, with Sacred Pearl yesterday and Star Of Wonder today.
Glad I got on at $13 earlier in the day when was 7th favourite, cos it closed off at $6 as 3rd favourite !!
Came from last on the corner, so a top run.
Glad you got that juicy $12 place divvy off Lady Hika, Pete.! One to follow, as was only just nutted.

4 hours ago, Zak Hussai said:

Pukekohe: 

Race 3: #3 Star Of Wonder - Locally prepared horse, who has had 3 good runs this campaign. Tidy work from the rear 2 back at Avondale, the came raging home last start to just miss, S Spratt on who can hopefully position him one of the rail and come with a strong run like last time. $13

Nice work, Zak ! 👏
Hope you got on at the double-figure odds, before the weight of money brought it down to $6.

7 hours ago, Right first time said:

Pukekohe - Sunday 08 January

There are several in the R3 Maiden 1600m @ Pukekohe today who have done enough to say they can win.
One such runner is my tip for today :-

image.thumb.png.567c070eb71b043b3f11363822aeb635.png

Locally trained galloper in the 7th line of Favouritism @ $13.00 ; $4.00 with an in-form Sam Spratt on board. Will get back from the 9 draw but be finishing strongly.

Spot on Howie - thanks!

1 hour ago, say no more said:

I like Mazzolino in R4 for a bit of each way value   $7.50 and $2.20 on FF so maybe a 2/3 bet

Nicely bred - Savabeel out of Posy (a full sister to Daffodil). Posy also the dam of Atishu.

Ran a very nice second behind Wild Night in early December (finished ahead of race rival Denby Road) and then not so good on Boxing Day - willing to put that one down to the good track - appears to like a little bit of sting out of the track.

Well done John.

I like Mazzolino in R4 for a bit of each way value   $7.50 and $2.20 on FF so maybe a 2/3 bet

Nicely bred - Savabeel out of Posy (a full sister to Daffodil). Posy also the dam of Atishu.

Ran a very nice second behind Wild Night in early December (finished ahead of race rival Denby Road) and then not so good on Boxing Day - willing to put that one down to the good track - appears to like a little bit of sting out of the track.

Great tipping, John.👏
Spot on, you were.
We're getting some nice results on this thread.
Long may it continue ! 🙂

Spot- on SMN  !!. Was doing ok so thought would dabble on your pick there . thank-you very much. very nice win by the horse just then.

That 'Craig Grylls' seems a great jockey to bet on . Getting right in the money often . 

3 hours ago, say no more said:

3 from 5 on the H2Hs yesterday, but still only 4 from 12.   7.2 units collected from 12 units bet (40% loss)

Today at Pukekohe

R2 Toblerone to beat Caledonie $1.65
R3 I'm on Fire to beat Hey Girlfriend $1.85
R3 Shez Class to beat Cosmetic V  $1.70
R4 Mazzolino to beat Diss is Dramatic  $1.85
R5 Highly Vindicated to beat Dimaggio (this one won't be breaking any hit streak records) $2.10

3 from 5 today for a very small profit. 

7 from 17 overall,  12.55 collected from 17 units bet (26% loss)

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

R2 Maven Belle looks a certainty.

R3 Nashoba and Montand

R4 Denby Road

R5 Bitcoin

R6 Joeys Gift/ Spratt got off Gunnar who wouldn’t be the worst on HK form.

R7 Miss Ella and Lookseasy

Very good results there, Ohokaman . . . Joey's Gift @ $5 the place ; Bitcoin in a place ; Maven Belle romped home ; Montand and Denby Road close up in 4th.
Well done.
Can Michael McNab nab the hat-trick - by bringing Miss Ella home ? Could be. Good luck. 🙂

3 hours ago, Houlahan's Dream said:

R6 Joeys Gift, Sam Spratt up, has won Puke with Sam up, will like a drying track. Drawn out a bit but will be motoring home, 11s at the minute. Quinella with Tightline, in good form paying 5s. 

Happy punting to you all. 

Well spotted, Houlahan's Dream .🙂.. $5 a place in running 3rd was very nice. Sam Spratt is riding so well.

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Found one in the last too...Saint Alice and Wiremu Pinn...looks good odds.

Great tipping, Scooby !
Very nice, @ $10.80. 
Maybe our team will go out favourites in the big comp coming up, after all ? John might be on to something ? 😁
We just gotta pray we don't train off ! 😃

30 minutes ago, Right first time said:

Great tipping, Scooby !
Very nice, @ $10.80. 
Maybe our team will go out favourites in the big comp coming up, after all ? John might be on to something ? 😁
We just gotta pray we don't train off ! 😃

Hope we dont...I normally take a few runs to hit top form...whatever top form is LOL.

Back to a bleak January Monday up here and my 1-point WIN Patent is at Wolverhampton in the evening:

6.00: QUEEN OF BURGUNDY (current price 7/2)

6.30: MEDICI CHAPEL (current price 2/1)

7.00 BLINK (current price 5/1)

17 hours ago, Right first time said:

Very good results there, Ohokaman . . . Joey's Gift @ $5 the place ; Bitcoin in a place ; Maven Belle romped home ; Montand and Denby Road close up in 4th.
Well done.
Can Michael McNab nab the hat-trick - by bringing Miss Ella home ? Could be. Good luck. 🙂

Would be a millionaire a few times over with divvies for horses “running on well from the back” RFT……:rolleyes:

Thought Joey was going to get there…drifted out to $18 so would have been nice. 
Those last two were awful…Miss Ella is much better than that. 

17 hours ago, PeteL said:

I really love Pukekohe on a decent track. It's such a great watch with that long straight.

I feel as though they should of got the New Year's Day Racing too along with the Derby in March. Very fair track with a long straight bit like Trentham.

Have to say, I just watched a video of the 2100m Listed race at Pukekohe Park. A really lovely fair track - reminds me very much of Kempton if they got rid of the jumps course and kept the grass flat track with the Polytrack on the inside.

Anyway tomorrow's UK racing is at venues nothing like Pukekohe but with a weather forecast similar to what North Island is expecting:

The Tuesday 1-point Win Patent as follows:

1.15 Doncaster: KELLEHEN (current price 9/4)

2.25 Doncaster: THE QUESTIONER (current price 4/1)

6.00 Southwell: BOND SPIRIT (current price 6/1)