Crow

Awapuni Trials

12 posts in this topic

Good to see Awapuni using the newly reconstructed corner today for 7 trials but of note interestingly they only used the rail twice then put markers out for the last of heats. Obviously saving the inside for upcoming Christmas meetings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Crow said:

Good to see Awapuni using the newly reconstructed corner today for 7 trials but of note interestingly they only used the rail twice then put markers out for the last of heats. Obviously saving the inside for upcoming Christmas meetings.

 

Bit more to it than that Crow best get up on that perch abit higher for a better view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, puha said:

Bit more to it than that Crow best get up on that perch abit higher for a better view.

Did notice you nearly need a perch to see them coming around the corner, lucky the jockeys are on top otherwise you could miss seeing them

51 minutes ago, barryb said:

Watch heat 2, 1/2 way around the turn, keep watching the leader.

Looked like it was dipping badly there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Just Looking said:

Is there any update from NZTR about the new bend being used for racing.

It looks like something went wrong yesterday - an official response as per the new protocol would be interesting.

Doesn't seem to be a word. Presumably the stipes have asked the riders. Had a sneaky look. There appear to be a few slip marks just after the 600. Presumably that will have been investigated and reported on. Doesn't look very safe to me. I would've thought this would have been checked out before they put horses and riders at risk running trials on it. Given the divots (which still haven't been replaced), it doesn't seem there is any depth of root structure established. That said, I'm no expert but certainly wouldn't send a horse round there, let alone ride one at racing pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Just Looking said:

Is there any update from NZTR about the new bend being used for racing.

It looks like something went wrong yesterday - an official response as per the new protocol would be interesting.

Maybe the protocol only applies when things at the tracks they want to close down have things go wrong, does though make these protocols a joke when they cant be upfront about the continual badly accepted reconstructions and then to sent the test crash jockeys to try it out. Surely other options are available before this even happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See they looking at 1st March return to racing now as an area of the reconstructed area did not perform as you would expect. Have decided to use the return to racing policy now and have another set of trials in January. With some 32mm of rain in the previous 48 hrs caused an area about 50 metres long to show up inconsistencies ie you would think isn't draining or taking the rainfall through the profile like the rest or is there a low area there or a pan underneath causing it, lots of speculation over this. Obviously this will be a problem going forward as it is a bit wetter in the winter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Crow said:

See they looking at 1st March return to racing now as an area of the reconstructed area did not perform as you would expect. Have decided to use the return to racing policy now and have another set of trials in January. With some 32mm of rain in the previous 48 hrs caused an area about 50 metres long to show up inconsistencies ie you would think isn't draining or taking the rainfall through the profile like the rest or is there a low area there or a pan underneath causing it, lots of speculation over this. Obviously this will be a problem going forward as it is a bit wetter in the winter. 

JMHO... but I don't think it's to do with the drainage. It's to do with the root structure or lack thereof. And that is to do with either the soil structure, or the irrigation pattern, or both. I suspect however, that it needs to be relaid from scratch. The so called "inconsistencies" are actually slip marks and divots of very poorly rooted grass. Speaking of roots, it's probably more rooted now than it was when they started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told there were  yellow patches of grass on the area where horses were going into that track.that backs up your comments leggy there are problems with the lack of root structure or soil structure.The horses didn't slip just went into the track like it was heavy 11 and yet cms away was more like a dead 5. 

Cant help but think when the manawatu winter and rain comes they are going to have more problems with this.

poor design?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now