RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
2Piper

Trackside back to Freeview

It's a very real subject, I am not a dreamer at all, but would love to have a New Zealand racing channel, dedicated to New Zealand racing, with the New Zealand stories that go along with it. I've been in this game for over 25 years, and the best stories, are the Home grown ones. :-)

Slim Dusty & others if you haven't already discovered this facebook pae, we suggest you add your views and spread the link around & ask others to forward it on & on & on.

There will be plenty of folk like yourself that do not for whatever reason have Sky TV to watch Trackside or decent internet access and rely on the trusty Free to View Freeview TV to watch your entertainment which sadly & unfortunately for many they are now no longer able to watch there beloved races.

Keep Trackside on Freeview facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Trackside-on-Freeview/611059238959459

I admire your tenacity Meomy along with others fighting the same fight but as a gambler who knows about betting odds what are the odds the TAB will reverse their decision on freeview?

50-1 ?  500-1 ?  1000-1 ?

I believe the only way the TAB will reverse this decision is if the betting figures show they are missing out big time. They would have crunched the numbers prior to the call being made. Just missing some turnover will not be enough to justify what would be an embarrassing back down for them. I'm not sure they are too concerned about missing a few small bets and probably assume those same punters will still take their bets anyway regardless of coverage. When they changed the size of minimum bets accepted on phone betting they pretty much confirmed the way they view the exact same sort of punters unhappy with the freeview decision. 

I think the odds of them reversing their decision on freeview are 1000-1 and drifting.  Good luck with your fight anyway. 

I spoke to the TAB ten months ago about American Harness Racing on Trackside. I gave up on their helpline years ago. Perfunctory statements intended to just appease punters are worthless to me. Prefer to speak to a non robotic type higher up their pecking order. I pointed out they have an average of forty+ American gallops races on over several days a week but only six American harness races on one day a week. I asked if they felt that was discrimination against harness racing? They assured me this would be redressed quickly. Eight months later all they managed to achieve is drop the number from six races to five so I opened up an overseas betting account and can now bet on American Harness races to my hearts content and watch them online free of charge. In short I voted with my feet.

Watch and Bet?

Slightly off topic but not worthy of it's own thread but i'd like to give another brickbat to the TAB.

I'm based overseas but still have an active NZ TAB account and I have (not 100% sure when last) watched races this year live through watch and bet from my current location.

Imagine my disgust when I placed my bets ($70 total) on Sunday and then kicked back to watch the trotter I have a small share in have it's fresh up race from a long spell, only to find that you know have to be in NZ to watch it through the TAB website.

I followed the rules, I had a positive balance, I was only going to watch that one race, invested $70 but no go.

Thanks TAB, I can't for the life of me work out what they have to lose but changing the rules for watch and bet from what they were?

Anyone know when they changed it or why?

cheers

Watch and Bet?

Slightly off topic but not worthy of it's own thread but i'd like to give another brickbat to the TAB.

I'm based overseas but still have an active NZ TAB account and I have (not 100% sure when last) watched races this year live through watch and bet from my current location.

Imagine my disgust when I placed my bets ($70 total) on Sunday and then kicked back to watch the trotter I have a small share in have it's fresh up race from a long spell, only to find that you know have to be in NZ to watch it through the TAB website.

I followed the rules, I had a positive balance, I was only going to watch that one race, invested $70 but no go.

Thanks TAB, I can't for the life of me work out what they have to lose but changing the rules for watch and bet from what they were?

Anyone know when they changed it or why?

cheers

I understand it is due to broadcast rights offshore (heard that somewhere but someone correct me if I am wrong)

Bloody frustrating as I had 2 horses run while I was overseas recently, and had to make do with ringing the radio trackside phone number to listen to commentary on the phone.

They have zippo interest in looking after local consumers - why would they give a hoot about those overseas.

They don't give a tinkers about local customers as evidenced by their ongoing attitude and withdrawl of Trackside and the Sky debacle which is what it is turning into. Watch this space on the Sky nonsense and costs.

They deserve every bit of the pain that will unfold. But the idoits that support the Sky debacle will pay for it.

Amatuer clowns basking in "amateur hour" just like every other thing they touch or initiate.

Thank God for Betfair ......................................

Anything is possible beerwithduncan, one only needs to read & keep up to date with what's happening in Australia to know all is not functioning well with Sky & the Racing industry.

May we suggest you use keywords on Google as we do to see what next unfolds.

As an aside The Informant website has another recent update on the situation which is still not resolved.

54 minutes ago, Slim Dusty said:

Yes - Any Update ? Or News on The Horizon Regarding Trackside Coming back to Free to Air ? 🙂 

I would say that on a cost benefit analysis that it would be a non goer. One of those nice to haves but when you need to be bailed out by taxpayers as NZTAB did then its not a good look reintroducing another cost . JMO

On 11/17/2022 at 12:27 PM, 2Piper said:

I think we need to sort out radio coverage for all seven days before freeview unless it is streamed from TV to reduce costs.

Did senz broadcast any races from Timaru yesty, just curious, someone must know, I dont listen now.