Dopey

2015/16 free handicaps

Recommended Posts

Thats a laugh that the free handcap would be done.

It used to be done 1st August every year.

This is the fourth handicapper in five years. Our current dopey handicappers have no idea of a rating system. They just use a template.

They wouldn't know how to frame a free handicap.

No doubt Purcell will have his mitts on it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berlog said:

I see these are out, does anyone know where we can actually view them?

There was a story about them online but I cant seem to find them.

Google (pdf) 2015/16 NZ Free Handicaps and click on that link and the lists are there.

Tried to copy and paste the list here but formatted here wrongly when I did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2

2015/16 New Zealand Free Handicaps

 
zoom668x153z100000cw668.gif
Two Thousand Guineas winner Xtravagant is the highest rated three-year-old on the 2015-16 New Zealand Free Handicaps.

Xtravagant headed an outstanding crop of three-year-olds and was rated at 61.5kg in the 1200m to 1600m category. 

Sacred Elixir, a Group I winner at the Brisbane winter carnival, was the top-rated two-year-old. 

Xtravagant won two Group I races by wide margins and was rated on the same level as the 2015 dual Derby winner Mongolian Khan, who was given 61.5kg in the over 1600m category for the 2014-15 season. 

The only three-year-olds with a higher Free Handicap rating over the past decade have been Jimmy Choux (62.5kg), Dundeel (62kg) and Alamosa (62kg). 

Xtravagant's form has also been acknowledged on a global scale, with an international handicap rating of 118. 

New Zealand Derby winner Rangipo, who also won the Avondale and Waikato Guineas, was the second-highest rated three-year-old, with 60.5kg in the over 1600m category. 

Australian Derby winner Tavago and Australian Oaks winner Sofia Rosa were assessed at 60kg, though Sofia Rosa's rating is reduced to 58kg with the sex allowance. 

Sacred Elixir was a convincing winner of the JJ Atkins Stakes (1600m) in Brisbane and was rated at 58.5kg, 0.5kg ahead of the unbeaten Heroic Valour, who won the Group I Diamond Stakes at Ellerslie. 

The highest-rated juvenile in the past decade has been Jokers Wild, who was given 60kg for the 2005-06 season. 

The Free Handicaps are prepared for the New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders' Association by NZTR handicapper George Strickland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2

NZ Free Handicaps

Two Year Olds    
Horse Sex Weight
Sacred Elixir g 58.5
Heroic Valour c 58
Xiong Feng g 57
Leading Role g 56.5
Wyndspelle c 56
Sicario g 56
Luna Rossa f 55.5
Saracino c 55.5
Cavallucci g 55.5
Caorunn g 55.5
Manolo Blahniq c 55.5
Ugo Foscolo g 55
Ichiban g 55
Gold Rush f 54.5
Sassy 'n' Smart f 54.5
The Soultaker c 54.5
Kingsman c 54.5
Manhattan Street c 54.5
What Choux Want f 53.5
Dontpokethetiger f 53.5
Quantum c 53.5
O'rachael f 53
Tennesse f 53
Mongolian Falcon c 53
Astara f 53
Memories Only g 53
Disturbance g 53
Volpe Veloce f 53
Zigwig f 52.5
Gasoline c 52
Barcelo g 51.5
Honey Rider f 51.5
Impulsive Habit g 51.5
Showmeyamoneyhoney f 51
Glass Slipper f 51
Church Road g 51
Technician c 51
Cortado f 51
La Mouline f 51
Fortaleza f 51
Eleonora f 51
Family Secret f 51
Shirley Maude f 51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2

NZ Free Handicaps

 

Three Year Olds 1200m - 1600m              
Horse Sex Weight
Xtravagant c 61.5
Dukedom g 58.5
Rangipo g 58
Son Of Maher c 57.5
Amarula c 57.5
The Justice League g 57
Battle Time c 56.5
Tavago g 56.5
Get That Jive c 56
Risque f 55.5
Glorious Beijing g 55.5
Scrutinize c 55.5
Raghu c 55.5
Stradivarius g 55
He's An Ace g 55
Massa Lu c 55
Serena Miss f 53.5
Thunder Down Under c 53.5
Capella f 53
Strada Cavallo f 52.5
Secret Spirit f 52.5
No More Tears f 52.5
Coldplay f 52
Duchess Kate f 52
Dezzies Dream f 52
Serious Satire f 52
Shadows Casts g 52
Ruud Not Too f 51.5
Alcaldesa f 51.5
Alamer f 51.5
Wafer f 51.5
Replique f 51.5
Honor That f 51.5
No Pushover f 51.5
Zacada g 51
Windborne f 51
Volks Lightning f 51
First Serve f 51
Fame Seeker f 51
Valley Girl f 51
Bella Court f 51
Strata Lady f 51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2

NZ Free Handicaps

 

 Three Year Olds 1600m+    
Horse Sex Weight
Rangipo c 60.5
Tavago g 60
Sofia Rosa f 58
Valley Girl f 57.5
Provocative f 57
What's The Story c 57
Raghu c 57
The Hassler g 56.5
Fanatic f 56
Get That Jive c 55.5
Brighton c 55.5
Mime f 55
Humidor g 54.5
Strada Cavallo f 54
Downton Abbey f 54
Promise To Reign f 54
Thunder Down Under c 53.5
Megawatt f 53
Capella f 53
Five To Midnight g 52
Sewreel f 51
All In Vogue f 51
Amazing Lady f 51
Maritimo f 51
Zbeauty f 51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some points of interest.

Sacred Elixir won a back end 1600m race in Queensland beating a maidener and a one win horse.

That's most unlikely to be a decent form race and in fact one of the place getters has run since and got lapped.

At his only start in black type company in NZ ( in a limited entry black type event ) Sacred Elixir got well beaten.

Heroic Valour was a three time unbeaten stakes winner and a G1 winner in NZ?

WTF are they trying to say about NZ form ?

That said you'd bet Sacred Elixir will be a hell of a three year old, but this Free Handicap is about what you've actually done not what you might do.

The three year olds look a very ordinary bunch but you'd expect Capella, Valley Girl, Provocative, Xtravagant, What's The Story et al.....to improve and go on to be really good horses.

However the most extraordinary thing about the Free Handicaps is that they were put together by George Strickland, FFS, George Strickland !! A bad jumps jockey who somehow became a junior handicapper, but who clearly cannot interpret or apply the existing handicapping model is assigned the task of doing the Free Handicap.

Was Mickey Mouse busy doing something else ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This free handicap stuff is crazy. I love Sacred Elixar but the form cannot be franked for him to be rated 0.5kg more that Heroic Valour. Makes a mockery  of NZ form because Midget is right...although we all think he's a really nice horse, his form isn't there where heroic valours is. And then we have Tavago and Rangipo. One horse beat the best three year old stayers in Australasia, the other didn't. Although Rangipo rolled Tavago in the Derby, Tavago was seriously unlucky. So at worst should be equally rated

and then there's the rest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Midget said:

Some points of interest.

Sacred Elixir won a back end 1600m race in Queensland beating a maidener and a one win horse.

That's most unlikely to be a decent form race and in fact one of the place getters has run since and got lapped.

At his only start in black type company in NZ ( in a limited entry black type event ) Sacred Elixir got well beaten.

Heroic Valour was a three time unbeaten stakes winner and a G1 winner in NZ?

WTF are they trying to say about NZ form ?

That said you'd bet Sacred Elixir will be a hell of a three year old, but this Free Handicap is about what you've actually done not what you might do.

The three year olds look a very ordinary bunch but you'd expect Capella, Valley Girl, Provocative, Xtravagant, What's The Story et al.....to improve and go on to be really good horses.

However the most extraordinary thing about the Free Handicaps is that they were put together by George Strickland, FFS, George Strickland !! A bad jumps jockey who somehow became a junior handicapper, but who clearly cannot interpret or apply the existing handicapping model is assigned the task of doing the Free Handicap.

Was Mickey Mouse busy doing something else ?

 

I agree with them. He did win twice in Australia Midget, including a Group 1.

One can only presume more weight was given to this than solely NZ form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I agree with them. He did win twice in Australia Midget, including a Group 1.

One can only presume more weight was given to this than solely NZ form.

Do the form on the JJ Atkins.

He raced in both countries and didn't beat a decent horse did he ? in either country, even in that back end mile 2yo race in Queensland ( his other Australian win was in a modest midweek race ).

Heroic Valour ran three times and was unbeaten, once in stakes company, then in a G1 race.

I'm strongly of the opinion SE will be a far better 3yo but you can only judge them on what they ran in and what they beat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Midget said:

Do the form on the JJ Atkins.

He raced in both countries and didn't beat a decent horse did he ? in either country, even in that back end mile 2yo race in Queensland ( his other Australian win was in a modest midweek race ).

Heroic Valour ran three times and was unbeaten, once in stakes company, then in a G1 race.

I'm strongly of the opinion SE will be a far better 3yo but you can only judge them on what they ran in and what they beat.

 

That probably applies in both cases though. Agree I'd prefer to own SE looking down the track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

That probably applies in both cases though. Agree I'd prefer to own SE looking down the track.

How does it apply in both cases ? I cannot see any logic in that assertion.

HV ran in a stakes race in NZ and won it, then he ran in a G1 and won that, SE ran in a limited entry stakes race in NZ and got lapped. The only race he won in NZ was at Ellerslie on January 9th, a six horse field of no substance, and that's always been a weak race given that it's after the New Years carnival and usually just full of horses trying to qualify for the Karaka Million.

As I said go do the form on the Atkins, it was a shit race of no substance with no depth of note.

I note that of the three mile races on the day of the Atkins his was the slowest by a full second, and 1.7 seconds slower than the quickest on the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't take much notice if Free Handicaps. Who does anyway? As far as Sacred Elixir and his JJ win. Forget the time he ran. He bolted in and it was the manner of his win that impressed many good judges. He was the one horse who came out of the Qld Carnival with the biggest rap. He's not fav for the Caul Guineas for nought. The bookies have got him pegged as a huge risk for them and according to "my" spies, he's do a treat staying in Qld for his Melb prep. It will be interesting to see his progress. Any NZ horse that performs at G1 level in Oz by winning is far better than those that stay in NZ. Perfect example is Xtravagant. Won by panels in "NZ" G1's (If u could call them that) yet failed to live up to the hype at Flemington. They must rate him high in NZ but he has yet to do it. TML, Tavago, SE, Provocative etc, have all taken that next step. I think NZ is in for a nice Melb Carnival!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump you're drunk again.

Tell the missus to make you come home from the golf club a little earlier FFS.

We all agree that SE is the horse with all the upside, and he's going to be a very good horse over a trip, but the Free Handicap is all about what you did, and who you did it to.

It's the runs you have on the board, there is no provision in there for people who gaze at crystal balls old fella.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At his only start in black type company in NZ ( in a limited entry black type event ) Sacred Elixir got well beaten.

 

funniest pastes ever, n0?

boris says its favourites for the caulfield guineas after beatings slugs in the JJA and getting well beaten off in a limited entrires black type of race??

are the Tab idoits and the corporates ?

NO ;)

how much is the entry fee for the free handicap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Season 2015-2016
 
 
 
 
Season 2015-2016
11/6/16 1 of 18 3.5 Eagle Farm 1600m Bmw J.J. Atkins (G1) Z Purton 4/1
  2nd - Charnley River, 3rd - Heart Skipt A Beat, 4th - Souchez Good(4) 1:37.82
28/5/16 6 of 13 1.3 Doomben 1350m Mitavite Brc Sires' Produce (G2) Z Purton 12/1
  1st - Attention, 2nd - Dreams Aplenty, 3rd - Nikitas, 4th - Candika Good(3) 1:19.09
11/5/16 1 of 15 1.3 Sunshine Coast 1400m Bundaberg Rum Hcp D J Browne 5/4
  2nd - Two Shoes, 3rd - Meet And Greet, 4th - With A Promise Good(4) 1:25.84
24/1/16 6 of 14 2.2 Ellerslie 1200m Karaka Million (LR) L G Innes 6/5
  1st - Xiong Feng, 2nd - Showmeyamoneyhoney, 3rd - Kingsman, 4th - Caorunn Good(3) 1:09.68
09/1/16 1 of 6 0.1 Ellerslie 1200m Countdown To Karaka Million L G Innes 2/2
  2nd - The Soultaker, 3rd - What Choux Want, 4th - Tesia Dead(6) 1:12.99
28/12/15 2 of 8 0.1 Ellerslie 1200m Timeout Mdn L G Innes 2/2
 

1st - O'rachael, 3rd - Attitudzeverything, 4th - Gold Rush

Sacred Elixir $451,376 stakes - up to 1600m

 

 

Heroic Valour $157,500 stakes - no further than 1200m

12/3/16 1 of 14 0.3 Ellerslie 1200m Sistema Diamond Stakes (G1) J K Riddell 7/7
  2nd - Wyndspelle, 3rd - O'rachael, 4th - Tennessee Good(3) 1:09.79
27/2/16 1 of 5 0.2 Matamata 1200m 2yo C&G Slipper (LR) M Cameron 3/4
  2nd - Mongolian Falcon, 3rd - Gasoline, 4th - Nova Swiss Dead(4) 1:10.05
30/1/16 1 of 8 0.8 Trentham 1000m New World Stokes Valley Mdn M Cameron 2/2
  2nd - Rosa Carolina, 3rd - La Mouline, 4th - Platinum Diva Dead(4) 0:58.41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Midget said:

Sacred Elixir won a back end 1600m race in Queensland beating a maidener and a one win horse.

It was an Australian Group 1 race and the field included a winner of two group races (G2 & G3), another Group 2 winner and the runner-up from the Group 1 Magic Millions.

I think Heroic Valour's Group 1 field included only one Group 3 race winner and no horses that had been placed in a Group 1 race.

In my opinion the free handicap is right to have Sacred Elixir above Heroic Valour on race form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re lead up form before an Australian campaign, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is getting the horse ready to win a G1 in Australia. Xtrav couldn't do it, so either he's not up to it in Oz or he has to lift. SE has won his G1 in Oz (same as Darci) and I will back him in Melb. His wins in Qld were enormous. Did anyone decry Ethereal's performance as a 3yo in Qld? Did she beat a field of champs? I think not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trump said:

Re lead up form before an Australian campaign, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is getting the horse ready to win a G1 in Australia. Xtrav couldn't do it, so either he's not up to it in Oz or he has to lift. SE has won his G1 in Oz (same as Darci) and I will back him in Melb. His wins in Qld were enormous. Did anyone decry Ethereal's performance as a 3yo in Qld? Did she beat a field of champs? I think not. 

You're all still rating SE on what he might do this next season, and he beat nothing in the Atkins ( correct me if I'm wrong but the second and third place getters had run about 10 or a dozen times and won one small race hasn't they ?)

As for Darci and Ethereal.......it was a long time ago Trump, Queensland form is not usually that good, but who knows, maybe this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N1MUE said:

It was an Australian Group 1 race and the field included a winner of two group races (G2 & G3), another Group 2 winner and the runner-up from the Group 1 Magic Millions.

I think Heroic Valour's Group 1 field included only one Group 3 race winner and no horses that had been placed in a Group 1 race.

In my opinion the free handicap is right to have Sacred Elixir above Heroic Valour on race form.

How could HV have beaten any group winners in the Diamond ? What races could they've won apart from the Karaka Millions, oh that's right, the KM winner Xiomg Feng was in Diamond ( yes he'd beaten Sacred Elixir in the KM ) and he 42 lengths behind HV in the Diamond, arguably injured though, and the runner up from the Matamata Breeders was in the Diamond, a long way behind though.

Are you saying HV should've raced against opposition who'd beaten old horses when they were March two year olds ?

As for the Atkins, nothing's come out of that race for ten years, it's a shit race.

The two runners up had fourteen starts between them, for one single win in a 17k race at the Sunshine Coast, the runner up has run since, and didn't place.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.