pogo(aus)

Terrific (nz)

A very good stayer, Some say over rated others one of the unluckiest horses of his time. Very loyal Strapper and track work rider was Trevor Hunt. He used to pull like hell settling near the back and seemed to strike traffic problems all the time would run home well great timing by Grenville BUT at times missed judged like the Auckland cup defeat by a nose to Royal Sheen  . !st start in Melbourne cup one of the favorites The Aussie jocks got to him knock around couldnt get a run fly home for 7th. THE following year Hot favorite for cup But scratched day before by order of the Stewarts. A virous was later detected. Was never the same after that. Most interesting was that Trevor Hunt spent a week in hospital after the horse was scratched ??? apart from a bowel problem his illness remain a mystery. Terrific retired to stud I think to France a big failure leaving only a couple of winners, NOW Not Again ok horse actually named sort of by the Aussies. After Terrific Dr Grant said publicly We well be back. reporters writing Oh not again hence the name give by the Doctor

Terrific. He was a good staying horse who enjoyed the big roomy Trentham track. 

There he won the 1966 NZ St Leger Stakes 2800m,  1967 Trentham Stakes 2400m and the 1967 Chalmers Handicap  3200m. 

15 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Terrific. He was a good staying horse who enjoyed the big roomy Trentham track. 

There he won the 1966 NZ St Leger Stakes 2800m,  1967 Trentham Stakes 2400m and the 1967 Chalmers Handicap  3200m. 

thanks steady, always interesting recalling hosres from the past, was it correct he won some of his early races by big margins 10 or 12 lengths ?

he came to (aus) with massive raps and  was backed pre post strongly in major races.

i never saw him race as i believe he only raced in melbourne , no TV coverage then , only listening on the wireless ( bert bryant 😍)

was a horse with big expectations and some  who had been to NZ and seen him race regarded him highly, hence my interest.

thanks for the replies.

Terrific raced 46 times in NZ for 13 wins. At 2 he was unplaced in 3 starts. At 3 he won 7 from 19. His first win came at his 7th start- Te Rapa 1m on the 25/10/65 ridden by Nigel Landers. At 4 he won 6 from 12. At 5 he was unplaced in 9 starts and at 6 he was unplaced in 3 starts. Grenville won 11 on him and Nigel Landers and Brian Andrews 1 each. In Australia he ran 9th in the 1966 Caulfield Cup and 10th in 1967, 10th in the 1966 Melbourne Cup, 2nd in the 1966 and 1967 Turnbull Stakes, 3rd in the 1966 Herbert Power Stakes and 2nd in the 1967 Cox Plate.

I cant remember Brian Andrews riding him(I'm sure  he must have) YES Nigel Landers did a couple of times in claiming races with only 1 winner This has been a great trip down memory lane I talked a Terrific then Not Again  about the same time Dr Grant named another horse he called Double Fault only won a couple of races .At the same time near the end of racing was the 12 year old TONIE jumper Had his last race at Ellerslie a steeplechase lead all the way until the last jump and punch the jockey Trevor Hunt out of the saddle neither raced or rode in races again.