RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Gruff

Pukekohe

They ran 1.02.33 in that 1100m...wow...Ok let's find a roughy suited today ...Jimmy Dean fresh at 30s overs, question mark on tactics as finding the lead rail becomes less desirable but has shown a sharp turn of foot at Camb Syn and Stayers resuming always a watch

Ok run Roederer was the standout, which brings Bella luce right into it in the next, take the 12s with a 70% balance on the place at 3.80 probably slight overs but Lawson Carroll is on as he was on Thunder before it's win at Tauranga

I dont mind Dubai Diva in the next.  Will be handy from gate 1.  Likes the course, good track, distance, 2nd up combination.  

A bit of early cover from Digger, Pow Wow or Reverberations coming across and she should go alright.  

5 minutes ago, Pakaraka Star said:

I dont mind Dubai Diva in the next.  Will be handy from gate 1.  Likes the course, good track, distance, 2nd up combination.  

A bit of early cover from Digger, Pow Wow or Reverberations coming across and she should go alright.  

Well, all thats thrown out the window when you try leave the gate half a second before it opens :rcf-happy-6:

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Lawson Carroll still learning but he will get there

Ace has copped another holiday on Bella, to follow the one starting tomorrow, plus a fine for whip use and referral to the jockey mentor. All pretty disappointing for the lad when he seems to be getting good support from trainers.

47 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Ace has copped another holiday on Bella, to follow the one starting tomorrow, plus a fine for whip use and referral to the jockey mentor. All pretty disappointing for the lad when he seems to be getting good support from trainers.

Maybe trainers like jockeys that thrash horses?

23 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Maybe trainers like jockeys that thrash horses?

That's pretty emotive language. From my long history of observation "thrashing" happens in the last 100metres where it is often cynically encouraged. The odd flick over the 5 permitted before the 100 metres more careless than malicious, IMO.

I personally don't think any of these young jockeys have any ill-intent towards their mounts.

7 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Ace has copped another holiday on Bella, to follow the one starting tomorrow, plus a fine for whip use and referral to the jockey mentor.

No. More serious than that. Referral to the Rider Skills Review panel which at the worst has the right to recommend full withdrawal of his licence.

6 hours ago, chevy86 said:

That's pretty emotive language. From my long history of observation "thrashing" happens in the last 100metres where it is often cynically encouraged. The odd flick over the 5 permitted before the 100 metres more careless than malicious, IMO.

I personally don't think any of these young jockeys have any ill-intent towards their mounts.

Nothing emotive about it. Purely based on observation and the above mentioned research. I'd confidently predict now that in the next three years whips will either be totally removed or their usage substantively reduced. If the racing authorities don't do it then legislation will.

47 minutes ago, Basil brush said:

As well as fines possibly a period where the transgressor must ride without a whip.

I think this is a good option too.  You then run the risk of losing rides from trainers who dont want to book a whipless jockey.  A real consequence compared to some of the fines handed out which are chump change for these senior jocks and hardly act as a deterrent.

12 hours ago, chevy86 said:

The odd flick over the 5 permitted before the 100 metres more careless than malicious, IMO.

Malicious might not be the right word but certainly not careless IMO , but if they had any empathy for an animal trying it's hardest they wouldn't strike it again , even the odd flick .

As I've mentioned on here previous , my pet hate is a beaten runner still getting whipped when out of contention . I know they are now getting fined but a rider still hitting a horse at that stage is lacking any empathy for the animal and being malicious in my book .

Malicious, or maybe just plain stupid.    I still think that the change to an overall limit - say 5 strikes, or 6, as is done in some European jurisdictions, would be both easier to function under and easier to police.

And by firmly policing the limit, riders will be forced to use balance, skill and upper body strength to urge their horses, not flap around.

3 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

riders will be forced to use balance, skill and upper body strength to urge their horses, not flap around.

Crickey Pam , your stretching the realms of reality there , most have very little balance in a finish now and are weak in a finish with the whip . Most would consider flapping around as urging their mounts in lieu of anything else .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Crickey Pam , your stretching the realms of reality there , most have very little balance in a finish now and are weak in a finish with the whip . Most would consider flapping around as urging their mounts in lieu of anything else .

Amen to that.

What beats me is that most reasonable thinking people on this site [real racing people] all say that that the whip needs to go or at least be carried only in case of emergency.

Why can't all the paid intellectuals who run racing in this country see it, and do something about it before it's too late?

Liz

11 minutes ago, Insider said:

What beats me is that most reasonable thinking people on this site [real racing people] all say that that the whip needs to go or at least be carried only in case of emergency.

Why can't all the paid intellectuals who run racing in this country see it, and do something about it before it's too late?

Liz

Because they are not horse people and are otherwise thick as bricks.

Sadly, the industry organisations like the NZTA and  the NZROF are no better.