Gary Sharp

New Season

11 posts in this topic

With the new season upon us today I just wanted to say that I hope everyone has fun in the industry & also hope that things finally get sorted out & our code cleaned up with no more bad issues.

 

Good luck good luck to all the trainers & owners for the new season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 10:47 AM, Everton said:

Sadly Gary .. you know that ain't going to happen, the people in charge dont give a you know what, that's why nothing ever changes, same old same old.

Sadly yes that is true but 1 can hope even if it is a 1,000,000/1 chance of happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 9:32 PM, GOM said:

Gary with the annoucement today that studies have found that pets of smokers have higher rates of cancer that those of non smokers it is almot a given that there will be a name and shame of smoker trainers.

Nah I dont think it'll go that far GOM, but perhaps a naming and shaming of a live baiter at some stage this season could be in order? 

Or are you against naming and shaming trainers full stop, regardless of the 'crime'?

Just trying to understand the tone of your post..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just my view of social media LD , give someone an excuse to be offended and they will not only oblige but expect the whole world to follow suit.

I do have a problem with name and shame in general though as it is generally done regardless of whether the person or people are  guilty as fact . More generally it starts before  a fair trial has been afforded the so called guilty party. I am sure you will be able think of instances where this has happened and the accused has been eventually proved innocent. It's too late then, as a doctor friend once told me "remember shit sticks to the blanket".

This is not a comment on current issues just a personal belief of mine.

Mind you I will put my hand up as being the one that posted about the RIU senior who bungled his way through an elicit unnfortunate rendezvous before it was investigated. That is if it ever was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 1:11 PM, Gary Sharp said:

With the new season upon us today I just wanted to say that I hope everyone has fun in the industry & also hope that things finally get sorted out & our code cleaned up with no more bad issues.

 

Good luck good luck to all the trainers & owners for the new season.

What I hope for is that dog racing in the North survives this season...with very few newcomers around and others taking on tier 2 clapped out cast off's I feel its in dire straights...tip to all newcomers (and maybe some not so).... Another trainer will not give you a dog worth it's weight in dog poo if they thought it was capable of earning money, think about it.... Why would they? Yes there is the odd exception ie: not quite good enough for quality Sth island low grade middle distance racing but there's no excuse for low grade or near retirement age sprinters from the CD! Taking these dogs will not only mentally demoralise you and  send you broke but also put you off the game in a big hurry. If a young comer has no other option for racing stock I suggest you sign an agreement with these "people" that they take their dogs away from your kennels if they get injured or upon retirement, especially so if the dog has not paid its way whilst in your care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, My Two Cents said:

What I hope for is that dog racing in the North survives this season...with very few newcomers around and others taking on tier 2 clapped out cast off's I feel its in dire straights...tip to all newcomers (and maybe some not so).... Another trainer will not give you a dog worth it's weight in dog poo if they thought it was capable of earning money, think about it.... Why would they? Yes there is the odd exception ie: not quite good enough for quality Sth island low grade middle distance racing but there's no excuse for low grade or near retirement age sprinters from the CD! Taking these dogs will not only mentally demoralise you and  send you broke but also put you off the game in a big hurry. If a young comer has no other option for racing stock I suggest you sign an agreement with these "people" that they take their dogs away from your kennels if they get injured or upon retirement, especially so if the dog has not paid its way whilst in your care. 

9 hours ago, My Two Cents said:

What I hope for is that dog racing in the North survives this season...with very few newcomers around and others taking on tier 2 clapped out cast off's I feel its in dire straights...tip to all newcomers (and maybe some not so).... Another trainer will not give you a dog worth it's weight in dog poo if they thought it was capable of earning money, think about it.... Why would they? Yes there is the odd exception ie: not quite good enough for quality Sth island low grade middle distance racing but there's no excuse for low grade or near retirement age sprinters from the CD! Taking these dogs will not only mentally demoralise you and  send you broke but also put you off the game in a big hurry. If a young comer has no other option for racing stock I suggest you sign an agreement with these "people" that they take their dogs away from your kennels if they get injured or upon retirement, especially so if the dog has not paid its way whilst in your care. 

My Two Cents worth I totaly agree with your statement on the Northern racing 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 10:45 AM, bus stop said:

My Two Cents worth I totaly agree with your statement on the Northern racing 100%

While I understand the point you guys are making, at least northern racing is not in a monopoly type state. You seem to have a good representation of larger and smaller to medium kennels. I'm not sure you would even class Karen Walsh kennels as large in quantity, certainly large in quality though.

The C.D scene is totally dominated by a monopoly both in quantity and quality to the point that if that monopoly folded then that would certainly cause issues in the whole NZ industry.

I still enjoy watching northern racing, I enjoy watching some of the new home grown litters going around, like the Captain Coutts - La Cigale litter, even down south Rosemary Blackburns Fast Archer - Fleur Dy Lius litter, locally reared and raced, that's where the satisfaction is surely.

I used to own a few dogs, the odd good one also, but just not interested anymore, and suspect the same applies to some trainers.

The big over riding thing for the industry is getting more people interested in greyhound racing, that will only happen if it is sorted out and cleaned up, HANDS UP those who think that will happen this season ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now