RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
racingsouthdude

Auckland R.c.

Can you therefore please provide the details of of the windfall in international revenue then Fasthorse. 

In the latest weekly bulletin from NZTR:

"$NZ export turnover per race to 30 November is down (15.4%). The variance in the $NZ/$A exchange rate is responsible for 9.9% of this decline. The remainder (5.5%), as well as the absence of any growth appears to have resulted from the loss of coverage on Sky 1 in Australia for midweek races run after 2pm."

..the t.a.b. needs to invest and build [at least 4 to start with] betting kiosks.

a free standing station on a axle of two wheels so as to be able to load them off a small truck that's the transportation to each venue, and wheel them into the appropriate positions in the muster areas.

each kiosk will have a single operator..and it'll be a mobile mimic of a Jetbet terminal commonly found at an agency or oncourse housed etc., and it'll simply plug-in through and via it's own cable. [into i'd presume, one of the t.a.b. Trucks that're always on-course]

and of course you have as Well, Lecithin's idea of at least two or more...roving 'bookies'...and they need to be charismatically Touting in a speil..for business. [colourfully and congenially similar to shopside retailing in Sydney..in and outside the entrances to retail stores and the like]

Good Idea Heds,

combined with advertising that doesnt miss the target audience.

In the latest weekly bulletin from NZTR:

"$NZ export turnover per race to 30 November is down (15.4%). The variance in the $NZ/$A exchange rate is responsible for 9.9% of this decline. The remainder (5.5%), as well as the absence of any growth appears to have resulted from the loss of coverage on Sky 1 in Australia for midweek races run after 2pm."

Comments Fasthorse?????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it their idea to move more races later in the day and have later starting times to increase export turnover?

Now it's an excuse for falling export turnover?

Brilliant.

It was just a hunch Leggy  :D

I note that Fasthorse hasn't had anything to say following his comments on 11/12/13.

You guys are hard task masters. The Auckland Racing Club is a group of guys and gals managing a bunch of assets such as buildings and restaurants. It just so happens that it is able to offer betting as well. So one of its biggest earns is to ensure that it sells as much booze and feeds as many people as possible and at the same time market and distribute its brand. Step number one....get the people to the premises...step number 2, sell them merchandize, step number 3, sell them value add (betting), step number 4, sell remotely (betting off the course). Until the NZTR get the database right, selling to the external markets is going to be tricky. Don't knock the AUCK Racing Club. They're the service providers that support the industry and sell their brand.

No Berri we are not hard taskmaster   we are just sick of incompetent leadership that is killing our wonderful industry. As for the bunch of guys and gals managing an industry paid for bunch of expensive assets they are failing dismally on step 1 , battling on step 2 , failing on step 3 and have no interest whatsoever on step 4 sadly.

No speaking of incompetent leadership a year ago you were full of praise for the leadership of the NZTR "newbies" , well despite all the wonderful cunning plans that you were working on with them at the time I have to report that turnover has declined all year.

This season  

Oncourse turnover down 4.14%   

Total Turnover down 2.43%

Export Turnover down 17.32%

plus a move from tote betting to fixed odds betting which yields less.    You think we are hard taskmasters when clearly the "newbies" are continuing to fail dismally. Perhaps you could explain what the hell is happening that gives you such cause for optimism             .    

Munch-a-lot

Well correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this thread was about the Auckland Racing Club. Just maybe you speak with a different tongue?

Start another thread if you want to talk about the NZTR or NZRB.

well you raised NZTR Berri and I certainly didnt mention NZRB  ,                                                                                                                  

Auckland R.C. are by far the biggest club in NZ and while you believe that are just a bunch of guys and gals doing their best to sell overpriced grog & food who are hindered by NZTRs lack of data I don't see how racing data will get their customers to eat more or drink more.

The gals and guys have neglected the racing aspect of the club to concentrate of the grog and scoff , yet last time I looked racing generated more than 10 times the amount the hospitality side of the club does.                   [

>      ,  .       <  >  

Heck you're a tough ask...no wonder every time you post we get into a squabble.

The topic was all about the ARC and what the results were of the twilight meeting. Then you bring into it the NZTR, the betting figures for the nation (not Auckland)and you wrap it up with a comment about fixed odds betting versus tote betting. We know that the ARC doesn't offer fixed odds betting (their right to run their own tote was taken off them in the previous Racing Bill) so one could only assume that you are talking about the NZRB as they are the only party mandated to offer such a product.

In your post you also refer to my praise for the newbies as I described them and you derogatorily refer to certain initiatives as "cunning plans" which to the layman suggest that something untoward may be happening.

So I will take the imitative and start a new thread heading called NZRB and NZTR so that something constructive might be said that is acceptable to most caring and intelligent people.

In the meantime, well done ARC on the twilight meeting. You should extend the offering and set up a concert for the after match. All we need to do is dig a big hole in the centre of the track, put a hydraulic lift underneath so that a stage can be elevated once the racing is all over, get a noise allowance for concerts and finish the night with an even bigger bang.

Auckland is our 'talisman' club., it Also has by far..the biggest inherant populous.

Would it be reasonable to expect that in conjunction with the t.a.b. and our executive, that a plan be implemented to attempt to educate them into punting?..or do you all think that's Kumara's or Gisborne's job (two clubs that some want closed!)

Is this industry funded from punting?..or are we now resting on the laurel of Pokies?

it is Often said that Racing has and have 'lost a generation'..when analysing why we've wained to such a low income ebb.

Now that the Next generation is turning Up, nobody nor any executive initiative..are doing Anything about trying to get them to Betpost-620-0-47499100-1387073748.gif

they all like a drink ...and a synthetic high from your corner dairy...How about tapping into that market.

Just Joking...as you say Hedley, make the punt a bit of excitement for em..bookies or bonus bets,attractive wandering bet-scouts.

not just a outdoor venue to be seen on the piss.

they all like a drink ...and a synthetic high from your corner dairy...How about tapping into that market.

Just Joking...as you say Hedley, make the punt a bit of excitement for em..bookies or bonus bets,attractive wandering bet-scouts.

not just a outdoor venue to be seen on the piss.

the tote price on track should differ from the tote price at home or the pub so it brings people in to the truck say fixed odds racing only on track set at a differnt fixed odds than any were else would bring people back to the and make the races clubs easy to join.

I think the gate charge was $10 - I paid for one of the 'party areas' and that cost $40 including gate entry.  BYO alcohol is never allowed at Ellerslie as far as I know and yes there were always queues at the bar (but thankfully not as long as they can sometimes be) so people are obviously willing to pay the excessive prices for this.

I have suggested on many occasions that the best way to get the young crowd to bet in these areas would be by having on-course bookmakers.  I know that true bookmakers will never happen, but why couldn't the TAB set up a "bookmaker" with a proper stand and board in these areas.  They could just copy the TAB fixed odds or they could even get a little brave and give them discretion to offer different 'on course' prices.  If they got the right person to do this who was charismatic and could sell the product, I'm certain this would generate a significant increase in betting in these areas.

I can only presume the reason they don't seem to be interested in this suggestion is that they would rather have people betting into the totes with their excessive take-out rates, but if many people aren't betting at all, that's not much of an argument.  Also if they can't make a decent margin on fixed odds betting in areas filled with drunk people that go to the races once a year, they need to employ some better bookmakers.

Well I have to take the above comment back and congratulate the NZRB on listening to punters on this forum as there was a "bookmaker" on course at Ellerslie today.  I wouldn't exactly call him charismatic, but I heard several punters "negotiating" odds with him and he did seem to have discretion to offer over the TAB fixed odds prices.

Well done - hopefully this concept continues, particularly at larger meetings and meetings with a large "social" crowd as I'm sure this will generate more turnover.  I would suggest in future the bookmaker is located in a more prominent position rater than tucked away at the end of a row of totes.

Well I have to take the above comment back and congratulate the NZRB on listening to punters on this forum as there was a "bookmaker" on course at Ellerslie today. I wouldn't exactly call him charismatic, but I heard several punters "negotiating" odds with him and he did seem to have discretion to offer over the TAB fixed odds prices.

Well done - hopefully this concept continues, particularly at larger meetings and meetings with a large "social" crowd as I'm sure this will generate more turnover. I would suggest in future the bookmaker is located in a more prominent position rater than tucked away at the end of a row of totes.

I wish I had known that he was on course as trying to bet fixed odds via my mobile phone was VERY TRYING.

Example: Chintz was paying 11.00 on the tote and 10.00 fixed so I proceeded to place the bet and it came back " Odds have changed to 8.00" which caused me to hesitate as she was still at 11.00 on the tote.

Then the tote dropped to 10.00 so I thought that I would take the 8's only to this time get the message that "betting was suspended on that runner". As the horses weren't in the parade ring I thought that she might have been a late scratching.

She then appeared so I gave up and put the money on the tote.

Further more at the jump I am certain that she was still showing 10.00 but ended up paying only 7.40 so something fishy was going on!

Are the bookies laying off? Surely there wasn't that big a go for her by the punters!

You can back fixed odds through any of the tote operators Insider. Just give them the option number.

As for the on course bookie, he has the charisma of a rock. An Aussie I believe. They need to get one of the TAB bookies that the public recognise with some personality to liven it up and get more interaction going. Making it more entertaining for all.

Insider, I'm not sure of this but someone may have the answer. Question is, " Is the co-mingling done live or at the jump?" This would explain the large variance between the price seconds before the jump and soon after. Chintz paid $7:60 or thereabouts on one of the Oz totes, maybe the one NZ co-mingles with. That's why FF betting is so popular but I've never experienced not being able to get on Fixed before a race on my Oz TAB account. The TAB bookies in NZ must have hearts made of jelly!

I wish I had known that he was on course as trying to bet fixed odds via my mobile phone was VERY TRYING.

Example: Chintz was paying 11.00 on the tote and 10.00 fixed so I proceeded to place the bet and it came back " Odds have changed to 8.00" which caused me to hesitate as she was still at 11.00 on the tote.

Then the tote dropped to 10.00 so I thought that I would take the 8's only to this time get the message that "betting was suspended on that runner". As the horses weren't in the parade ring I thought that she might have been a late scratching.

She then appeared so I gave up and put the money on the tote.

Further more at the jump I am certain that she was still showing 10.00 but ended up paying only 7.40 so something fishy was going on!

Are the bookies laying off? Surely there wasn't that big a go for her by the punters!

I think they are. I don't think the tote and the fixed odds even up across the main chances all the time happens just by punters seeking value late. 

I would like theTAB to tell us that it doesn't happen that way.

Advantage of owning a share. Get your info and bet on early

The night before is best if you have a bit of mail. A couple of weeks ago, I had some inside info on a horse which was ex Sydney and was transferred to Brisbane. It had raced during the Bris 2013 winter carnival without showing much of its Sydney form. Anyway they found something wrong in its the throat area and it cost them $300 for a Vet to fix it an avoided a more expensive op. The horse responded and they expected a good run. I had a small ew bet on it at huge odds over 100/1. It flew home for 3rd and paid $17 the place. It had its 2nd start at the New Years Eve night meeting held on the newly laid Toowoomba Strathayr track. The first meeting since the track was laid. Yep, Jim Byrne brought her home to win at 17/1. Scorpio Queen is her name and she'll win a good race in town. The odds the night before are always better if there is going to be a bit of stable confidence. Sometimes I've bet at 18/1 on a fri night and on race morning it's 10/1. So back early is my advice - the price rarely gets better.

Yes Trump. I had share in a good but tough mare. She was a liver chestnut. When she got older her mane, tale and legs would go really dark as if she was going back to grandsire Sir T.

Ran like a tart in a Stakes race and nommed up for a Cup next. I went down and looked at her and saw the color change and got on early at 18s. She won and paid 5 if I recall. Knowledge is gold.