RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pete Lane

Trentham track update

RACE Trentham Track Update

Following the 27 January partial abandonment at RACE Trentham when horses slipped on an area of unirrigated ground wide on the track, the venue's irrigation system was reviewed and additional steps were taken to produce wider coverage on the outside of the home turn.

Following the solution being implemented, it has been extensively utilised to irrigate the area of concern wide on the course proper. The irrigation, combined with recent verti-drain use has resulted in more consistency between the inside and outside areas of the track.

Representatives from the Racing Integrity Board, RACE Inc. and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing inspected the racing surface on Monday 4 March, with core samples, drone photo comparisons and a track gallop used to test the surface ahead of the 9 March race meeting. 

Post-inspection, all parties were confident with the consistency and safety at RACE Trentham. As such, Wellington Racing Club's meeting at Trentham will take place this Saturday, as scheduled.

32 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

So basically they can now guarantee it will be consistently wet across the whole width of the track.

You wouldn't think so would you? I note they say "more consistent" not totally consistent or even sufficiently consistent. I'm surprised they didn't use a penetrometer across the track in the affected area to determine that, or gallop a number of horses round there across that area.

17 minutes ago, Leggy said:

You wouldn't think so would you? I note they say "more consistent" not totally consistent or even sufficiently consistent. I'm surprised they didn't use a penetrometer across the track in the affected area to determine that, or gallop a number of horses round there across that area.

where would they get a number of horses from? 😉

What I don't get , aside from the track issues , is why are they running a meeting the week before a major G1 race meeting . This has become the norm with NZTR , run a ho hum meeting the week before a major race is to be run on the same track . Surely common sense dictates that you run your best races on the best surface , so run the other day after the main meeting . 

Now the outcome is the best horses are running in the best races on a substandard surface , it would be a different story if our tracks were absolute top surfaces but as we know and the thread is discussing they simply aren't .

Time that more thought was put into our dates , at present it amateurish and lazy , just keep doing what we always have .

I have said this many times , our whole calendar needs an overhauling .

The other thing these days is, because there are so many abandonments, it is implanted in everyone's minds. So as soon as there is so much as a slip or two step etc, they are out for an inspection.

Natural irrigation took place overnight so all will be ok.

Is this low key meeting one of Awapuni's race dates, because of the closure there?

Otherwise it is absolutely stupid.

3 minutes ago, Insider said:

Natural irrigation took place overnight so all will be ok.

Is this low key meeting one of Awapuni's race dates, because of the closure there?

Otherwise it is absolutely stupid.

No. It's a Wellington RC meeting.

17 minutes ago, Insider said:

That's absolutely stupid isn't it? 

Btw Insider, wasn't it natural irrigation on an already soft track that preceded the problem in the first place?

9 hours ago, nomates said:

What I don't get , aside from the track issues , is why are they running a meeting the week before a major G1 race meeting . This has become the norm with NZTR , run a ho hum meeting the week before a major race is to be run on the same track . Surely common sense dictates that you run your best races on the best surface , so run the other day after the main meeting . 

So I've just seen that they are doing the same at Tauranga , a ho hum meeting on the same day as Trenthams second day then a G2 run the following Saturday , WHY ? 

It just seems inane , what is their rationale ? it's beyond me .

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Btw Insider, wasn't it natural irrigation on an already soft track that preceded the problem in the first place?

You could be right. Tell us more. 

3 minutes ago, Insider said:

You could be right. Tell us more. 

Club: Wellington Racing Club @ Trentham
Date: Saturday, 27 January 2024
Weather: Overcast
Track: Soft 5, Downgraded to Soft 6 prior to Race 1 @ 11.13am
Track further Downgraded to Soft 7 @ 1.10pm retrospective to Race 1
Rail: Out 6 metres

Following the running of this race, riders expressed concern regarding an area of the track near the 600 metres,
where ZACKERY (K Asano) lost its footing and slipped. A Lawson-Carroll also reported his mount REDANA also slipped.
A track Safety Review Panel consisting of Stewards, Senior Jockeys and Club Officials was convened. Following a track
inspection, which clearly identified a slip, a subsequent meeting with riders and club officials was convened and the
remainder of the race meeting was abandoned.

it used to be a Hawera ( or was it Waverley Meeting) - moved about 10 years ago - I assume because of no irrigation

from memory both Waverley and Hawera raced 2 days apart that year

In fact if I crank up my memory I think  this used to be the Taranaki Anniversary Raceday, once a big day on the NZ Calendar.......the Cup being a big deal......Seven Forty Seven winning it on 3 consecutive years in the late 70's.....ridden by Ray Johnson..... I seem to recall

Leggy - have a look at that last race from Trentham - Stewards View - the last horses who raced so far out there were Kumai and Peter Wilonyx.....tell me I'm wrong

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Club: Wellington Racing Club @ Trentham
Date: Saturday, 27 January 2024
Weather: Overcast
Track: Soft 5, Downgraded to Soft 6 prior to Race 1 @ 11.13am
Track further Downgraded to Soft 7 @ 1.10pm retrospective to Race 1
Rail: Out 6 metres

Following the running of this race, riders expressed concern regarding an area of the track near the 600 metres,
where ZACKERY (K Asano) lost its footing and slipped. A Lawson-Carroll also reported his mount REDANA also slipped.
A track Safety Review Panel consisting of Stewards, Senior Jockeys and Club Officials was convened. Following a track
inspection, which clearly identified a slip, a subsequent meeting with riders and club officials was convened and the
remainder of the race meeting was abandoned.

We already know that. 

2 hours ago, nomates said:

So I've just seen that they are doing the same at Tauranga , a ho hum meeting on the same day as Trenthams second day then a G2 run the following Saturday , WHY ? 

It just seems inane , what is their rationale ? it's beyond me .

They have no other tracks to hold those meetings on.

The Trentham track seemed to be well presented yesterday. It seemed to play fair and square. 
Not a single comment was made about it in the Stipes Report other than part way through the day it was upgraded from a Good 4 to a good 3. 

4 hours ago, Insider said:

The Trentham track seemed to be well presented yesterday. It seemed to play fair and square. 
Not a single comment was made about it in the Stipes Report other than part way through the day it was upgraded from a Good 4 to a good 3. 

Agree. Looked a mile better.