RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Circus Maximus

The “official word” that I heard before Christmas was that Coolmore decided to give him a year off in the NH and leave him down here for the Summer. 
If he was to stay here permanently that would be fantastic but Coolmore aren’t that silly that they would say that he’s to stay permanently, is my thinking. 
Given that he’s having a year off is almost enough to encourage me to “come out of breeding retirement” and send the old girl to CM once again. (We didn’t go this year but did for the first two years)

P.S. I have great faith in his breeding and race performance, for him to not be a good sire. He won the best “Stallion making races” in the NH that you can get. 
Would you write off a Golden Slipper winner? The St James’s Palace Stakes is no different!

I think it will depend on the mares served by each, Arbernant. I'm a fan of King of Comedy and Novara Park heavily supported him but with a lot of middle distance types. Plenty of Jakkelberry's. Nothing wrong with that, but it will not support early runners. KoC himself did not run as a 2yr old. The progeny I will be interested in are those out of Showcasing mares. Showcasing and Kingman are very similar, genetically. From his first crop there are 4 foals from Showcasing mares. There are a couple from Makfi mares which should "click" quite well.

Circus Maximus ran at least 2 times in stakes races at 2 over 1600 meters, for a third and a fourth. He won a non stakes at 2 over 1600 meters. His female family is the same as Noble Bijou so you would expect a few middle distance/staying types. But I'm sure he will have covered some sprinting type mares so they will not necessarily all be middle distance/stayers.

I think both potentially could throw a good two year old but more likely there will many more 3yr+ types and either could throw up a Derby horse.

Both beat an up and coming sire - genetics and opportunity with out eventually…I liked both horse (quite different types) at the most recent stallion parade…

IMG_3924.jpeg

Agree with Dopey, bloodlines suggest Circus Maximus is mile & above, King of Comedy less so.

I didn't like the mare matches on average for either of these stallions at Karaka. Breeder flags up Showcasing mares above for King of Comedy due to the commonalities, and the ND and MP overlaps look nice, and with heavy ND mixes I always tout that you need one line of an outcross for balance. The Warning granddam line on Showcasing achieves that and makes him a nice match. Too many of both the Circus Maximuses and King of Comedys at the sale didn't have that balance.

Centaine in the dampage would look nice to me. Sprinting, robustness, to mould the ND and MP brilliance. Centaine was our second most successful non-Phalaris stallion in the pedigrees (to the 5th line) of our Group 1 winners last year, after Star Way. In terms of their relative presence in our broodmare band those two great Kiwi stallions aren't the most common. The biggest non-Phalaris stallions in the bloodlines of the comparable 2018 salestoppers at Karaka were from Round Table, Pieces of Eight and His Majesty lines. Yet Star Way was in seven of the 17 Group 1 pedigrees in NZ last year and Centaine was in six (Round Table had just one - Prise de Fer). Much of that is thanks to Proisir, but not exclusively (Mustang Valley has both, Imperatriz has Star Way).

I may have some Kiwi bias slipping in with the above or at least fond memories of Star Way and Centaine, but if we think Proisir is getting good as a stallion, I can't wait to see how he goes as a broodmare sire.