RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dumbpunternz

TAB fixed odds manipulation 23/04/23

Hi all, would love to hear your thoughts/feedback on the below F/O market manipulation.

23/04/24                          M47 R9:

#1 was a clear top pick, everyman and his dog had it on top

F/O Flucations: (Sportsbet shown, TAB disappear after race but all very similar except the late crunch in on the #1 runner)

#1: $1.15/$8.5/$8/$7.5/$1.17/$1.16

#2: $17/$9/$10/$11/$41

#3: $31/$2.37/$2.25/$2.37/$36

#4: $21/$9/$10/$9/$17

#5: $10/$13/$15/$13/$9

#6: $13/$2.87/$2.75/$2.87/$8.5

Betfair was trading consistently around the $1.30/$1.35 mark on #1 and BSP was $1.34.

Personally I'm really concerned this is being allowed to happen by the TAB, and I would have expected safeguards to be in place to stop this sort of shenanigans from being undertaken? Or is this just a case of them allowing this because they are taking there percentage/cut either way and getting paid? 

A few further questions/points of view: Firstly, worrying how easy this appears to be to undertake, particulary in the smaller pools. Secondly, I wonder how often this is happening? 

Full disclosure, I jumped onboard at the $8 once I realized what was happening, and have now successfully completed withdrawing the winnings. 

"If you can't beat them, join them"

The NZTAB copies Sportsbet prices (and vice versa on NZ racing), so a mistake by one of them leads to the wrong price on both. Usually it happens when they cock up the opening prices (eg. putting up the prices for Race 1 in the market for Race 2, and usually any bets on those incorrect markets get cancelled), but this case is interesting in that the opening markets look correct (at least to what the bookie who framed it intended) but then prices swung wildly on three runners before reverting back.

Is there a world where a Sportsbet bookie fiddled with the prices to let their mates on a $1.15 shot at $8? Maybe (we've had that happen with the NZTAB before). Is there a world where this was intentional market manipulation by a punter (smash the 3 and the 6 to force the price of the 1 out, then smash the 1, then cancel the bets on 3&6)? Maybe, but you'd think the bookies would look at the US markets and Betfair if they were trading the race manually, and not change their prices. Is it the Sportsbet market management software glitching for one reason or another? Also maybe, and probably the most likely answer.

Funky things can happen on smaller markets from time to time. The TAB rules say they can cancel bets - even after the event -  if they've "made a mistake". And their definition of making a mistake is so generous that they can basically cancel any bets for any reason at any time, with your only recourse being taking them to court. Well done for getting on and getting paid, and hopefully the TAB don't now cancel the bet and leave your account with a negative balance so you can't use it ever again without giving back the money first.